Macgregors of Masonboro and Wilmington (NC) - (MOMAW)

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

opie
Captain

Re: Macgregors of Masonboro and Wilmington (NC) - (MOMAW)

Post by opie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:58 am

Ron,
I once entered the Carolina Beach inlet but made the mistake of seeing a large fishing boat coming in behind me and thinking I had the right of way since I was ahead. Ha. I almost got swamped when he passed me in the narrowest part of the inlet. I was mad, but in retrospect, what I should have done is be happy and thankful he was coming in and then I should have turned around and gotten behind him so that I could enter the inlet in his fairly calm wake.

COPA
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by COPA » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:46 am

We are planning a trip to Wilmington/Wrightaville Beach for June 18-22, 2012. We would like to find a motel w/dock that we can home base from. We are new to the Macgregor sailing, with our rebuilt 26X, and have only sailed in our local lakes (Lake Norman/Mooresville, NC, High Rock/Salisbury, NC). I have experience as a young sailor in Florida and we intend to take a few lessons before we go.
We will be bringing daughter and granddaughter, hence the motel, and not overnite on the boat.
I have a new E-Tec 40 that seems to work well getting to and from docks to set sail, and out of trouble with weather.
Anyone have any suggestions?

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 am

Blockade Runner
There really is only one choice around there.

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 am

Another idea, less expensive.
Within 1 to 4 miles you can find an extended-stay place for $300 a week or a bit more, with kitchen. Make sure they will accept a trailer. Make reservation way ahead.

Call Dockside Marina way ahead and make reservations for your boat docking. Ask if they will be able to accept loose trailer for parking. The Dockside is THE local eatery.

Go to motel and check-in and relax in the pool and go out to eat. Next morning take the boat to the WB boat ramp and tie off to the dock. Go park truck and trailer at the ramp parking lot and go over to Dockside (400 yards) and tie up and have lunch (gumbo..... yummmm). Take your time and set up the mast and rig everything. Go boating around and sight-see the area a bit. (Some info in previous posts.)
Come back and dock the boat in your reserved space. Walk the 3/4 mile to the ramp and get the truck and trailer since you are not allowed to park an unattached trailer there for even a minute. Go park the trailer either at Dockside's huge parking lot or at the motel, or wherever decide to park it.

Go back and forth from the motel to the Dockside and enjoy all the area has to offer. Since you have your car/truck you can go downtown and walk the boardwalk as well and see the battleship, etc.

The cheaper option is to stay on your boat at Dockside, but it has spartan showers, etc. but it could be done. Roger, a member here, stayed a month last October.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 am

So here is an idea for the First Annual Scallywag Sail, Wilmington 2012

Date is set for June 29, 30, July 1

(questions in blue for local input)

Friday
- Launch from Snow Cut Wildlife ramp (200 Annie Drive, Carolina Beach)
- Head to Carolina Beach Inlet (Buoy 155)for some ocean sailing (concerns for getting in and out of inlet... and tides?)
- Head back to a beach (sound side) area for cooking on the beach dinner (location?) (possibibly the North tip of Freemen Park anchor location?)

Saturday
- Head up river to Wilmington (15 miles)
o There is a launch really close to Wilmington waterfront; Dram Tree Park (602 Surry St, Wilmington) has limited parking, for those who want to join the fleet on Saturday.
- Dock at City Dock (one next to Hilton Inn)
o $1.25 per foot, $3.00 for electricity and water
o Dock master (910) 520-6875
- Tour Wilmington
o Train museum, trolley tour $12 per adult - $5 per 12 and under
- Dinner at a Dockside restaurant (any suggestions from the locals?)

Sunday
- Head back to ramp at own pace

Would love any other suggestions...

Last edited by Erik Hardtle on Tue May 01, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

cptron
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:23 pm

[quote="Erik Hardtle"]So here is an idea for the First Annual Scallywag Sail, Wilmington 2012

(Shooting for June 22,23,24...)

Sounds good to me as long as the admiral and work don't cut into the fun.

cptron
Captain

Post by cptron » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey Erik,
are you planning on doing this with or with out any body else here? If you are then the wife and I would like to join up with you.
Please let us know when the exact weekend will be. Cann't be of much help with local knowledge but my wife and I have made it through the Carolina beach inlet and actually stayed in pretty deep water. :) We have also sailed from Southport to Carolina Beach and then onto Wilmington during the Azalia festival. :? It was much quieter out on the water than on land once we got there. Keep the sails up and the keel down.
Ron&Cindy

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 am

This is ABSOLUTLY A GROUP EVENT! This event is open to everyone. Would love to have as many join up as possible. I have posted the event on ncsail.org and set the date to June 29, 30, July 1.

I was waiting to get some answers from the locals before posting the event officially.

I will post it soon.

Erik

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 pm

I never made it up the river the whole way from snows cut. The launch at the state park was closed and redone in 2009. The free ramp on the ocean side of snows cut channel isn't paved, or parking marked. I've never even been there except with my brother's john boat.

The inlet will be fine for our boats, but may be decieving. See earlier in this thread as far as gps. Opie will chime in before too long. Seems retirement doesn't gurantee free time :?
I have been launching at wrightsville since 2009, like the sandy beaches for our Pepper pup. Downtown is a great place for a shore excursion though.

Not sure if i'll run into you fine folks this time. I work so much I can't even get a boom tent in the works. Working 50 hour weeks and headed to dallas for 2 weeks this month.

I've moved to Wilmy from out of state 5 times... so far. I love it all.
Erik

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle » Thu May 03, 2012 4:25 pm

I like how you spell your name !

I thought Wrightsville launch would be too far for a weekend to get to downtown Wilmington.

Water Front restaurant suggestions?

fishheadbarandgrill
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by fishheadbarandgrill » Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm

We had a good time at Fat Tony's several years ago.

Bob

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Thu May 10, 2012 4:32 am

Erik,
He are some notes in italics regarding your request for local info. I am not able to confirm being able to do this trip. Sorry for me I am sure. You seem to have a good plan to get out and GO! As for locals here with Macs, there are about 6 of us and we are seldom able to get together at all over the years due to many things happening.

Friday
- Launch from Snow Cut Wildlife ramp (200 Annie Drive, Carolina Beach)
I never launched there but we boat right past it often. As with as all NC wildlife ramps, there is NO parking for unattached trailers if you plan to use your vehicle for local touring the sights and Fort Fisher and aquarium. They will tow your unattached trailer. Unless you reserve a camping spot in the woods perhaps and put the trailer there. I think they have 95 parking spaces. Nice trails to walk on and the only park you can walk around in NC and see three types of carnivorous plants. Also, think about getting one of the free truck/trailer space early since it may fill up for the weekend. Also, I think there is a launch fee??
- Head to Carolina Beach Inlet (Buoy 155)for some ocean sailing (concerns for getting in and out of inlet... and tides?)
CB inlet navigation needs a 6 on a scale of 10 boating skill, so if you have newbies in your fleet, it may be not so good to go out there unless a captain's meeting is held and careful instructions are given. The buoys shift often and the shoals are invisible. I can only recommend doing it at high or low tide with no sails and following a local's power boat.
- Head back to a beach (sound side) area for cooking on the beach dinner (location?) (possibibly the North tip of Freemen Park anchor location?)There is no sound side of CBeach. There is a north side of the Freeman park but it is a part of the inlet and I would recommend getting a boater's comment that has beached or anchored there. The only "sound side" of CB is upper Masonboro Island where Erik S. and I meet often. It is seven miles north at the north end of the island and described elsewhere. When we are there we are often next to boats from CB that come up that way to get to the calm waters where they can swim in the sound side or take the 300 yd walk to the surf side and camp for free if they want.

Saturday
- Head up river to Wilmington (15 miles)
If you head up to Wilmington and it is only 15 miles then I assume you will have spent the night at CB. Where? You could rent a transient slip at the wildlife ramp, as I hear they have only a few, most of them are permanent slips. I do not know of any anchorages anywhere around CB. I hear the city of CB frowns upon anchoring in their harbor, but you need confirmation of that. The nearest anchorages that I know about are Southport or Wrightsville Beach. I understand your calculation about not using the WB ramp because that adds 11 miles to the Saturday Wilmington morning trip, but it is not so bad. I have made several trips from WB to Wilmington using the ICW and back in a day./
o There is a launch really close to Wilmington waterfront; Dram Tree Park (602 Surry St, Wilmington) has limited parking, for those who want to join the fleet on Saturday.New ramp. Nice. Yes, parking is sparse.
- Dock at City Dock (one next to Hilton Inn)
o $1.25 per foot, $3.00 for electricity and water
o Dock master (910) 520-6875 Dockmaster is named "RT" and is very nice. But this is the weekend before the Fourth and it could be all reserved up by now. The Fourth is the biggest boating weekend in the area each year, both in the city and WB. There is an anchorage I use up the Cape Fear River near the upper opening of a loop you can see on the maps about 1/3 of the way between the city and Navassa Bridge. Buggy.....
- Tour Wilmington
o Train museum, trolley tour $12 per adult - $5 per 12 and under
- Dinner at a Dockside restaurant (any suggestions from the locals?) Dockside Restaurant is in WB. But in Wilmington, all restaurants are good actually. I like Pilot House but Fat Tony's is great.

Sunday
- Head back to ramp at own pace

Would love any other suggestions...
Hope this helps, but probably sounds somewhat negative. Sorry... don't mean to. Here are some thoughts. If you start at the ramp as you plan, on Friday, motor out the CB inlet and SAIL up the 7 miles in the blue water to Masonboro Inlet. You could make it a race even. Go behind the island and anchor in the sound or beach your boat where Erik S and I do and enjoy the day and evening. Spend the night there. The next day motor 26 miles or so to Wilmington using the ICW. At 9 knots average, that only adds a bit more than an hour to your plans. Then the rest of the plan as you stated.

Last edited by Erik Hardtle on Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Erik H,
I have been off the computer for a while. I don't see any updates and I hope you get folks together down here. Great area, but everyone seems busy... I hope Erik S and I can free up for some of that trip of yours. Is it still on?

cptron
Captain

Post by cptron » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:04 am

I'm still going to be there. The admiral has to work Saturday morning but will catch up with us in Wilmington and leave the car there. We will pick it up on our way home Sunday.
Keep the sails up and the keels down,
Ron

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Holy crap it's June already. I'm hoping to get the week of the 4th off for some boating. My first day off would be Friday, so I may run into some of you fine folks at MB. Or i may be denied vacation, NC being a right to work state and all. I'm trying like hull though! Better get the Striker put back together first and also see if the wheels will still turn... gotta love insurance :D

EC