Macgregor Sailor's Map Tutorial

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Macgregor Sailor's Maps

Post by kmclemore »

dlandersson wrote:With all due respect...it's not clear at all how to add yourself. 8)
Read down... this didn't help?

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 37#p231137
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Macgregor Sailor's Maps

Post by dlandersson »

Don't take this wrong, but I have a doctorate is CIS, it's how I make my non-retirement income. 8)

If I have to spend 15-30 minutes trying to figure out how to post my location...then I am simply not going to post my location.

Given that there are 10-12 Mac X/M owners at least around southern Lake Michigan and none of them have posted, the complexity of trying to post a location pretty much speaks for itself.
kmclemore wrote:
dlandersson wrote:With all due respect...it's not clear at all how to add yourself. 8)
Read down... this didn't help?

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 37#p231137
Whipsyjac
First Officer
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Re: Macgregor Sailor's Map Tutorial

Post by Whipsyjac »

dlandersson,

The trick is to log in to google with your gmail name and password, then you click the big red edit box which appears over the dialog pane on the left.

When you're looking at the map the login box is on the top right of the screen. If you don't have gmail you'd have to create a free account first.

Once you log in and click the edit box three icons appear on the top left corner of the map pane. Click the teardrop to add a placemark. Once you click on the map to place the mark a new dialog box opens. Your can give the placemark a title and message. If you click the placemark icon in this dialog box you get access to different place marks. Now there's a new choice, click on "My Placemarks" and some custom placemarks will appear. There are 3 that show as boxes with no image. By trial and error I found the one that changed my placemark to the :macx: icon.

Hint: when I do stuff like this I usually open a new tab in my browser so I can easily click back and forth from instructions to map until I get it right. I find that when I do stuff like this its not what I learned in Tech School that helps, but rather try to think like the person who set it up. And in this case recognize that the custom map is geared to a single user who is allowing us all to share access, hence "my icons" and the ability to move and edit other peoples icons.

Please try again,

Willy
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

OK, I just followed my instructions (posted earlier in the thread) and it still works just fine, so I'm not understanding the issue.

If you could please explain where you're getting stuck, we will do what we can to help.
JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI »

Managed to add 'STIRLING' our 1998 :macx: at our home location, the Beaver Slip in Stanley Harbour, Falkland Islands.

Looking at the entries, we are an awfully long way from anyone else. :cry:
TIMBOAT2
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by TIMBOAT2 »

Hamin'x,
Followed instructions and was able to add myself to the data base. No V21 symbol was in the choices though. :( .
Thanks,
T
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

So you are the President of the Mac Falklands Island chapter. :D
JohnCFI wrote:Managed to add 'STIRLING' our 1998 :macx: at our home location, the Beaver Slip in Stanley Harbour, Falkland Islands.

Looking at the entries, we are an awfully long way from anyone else. :cry:
Berber Boy
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy »

Added Wind Song to map in Paynesville, Victoria Australia. There are at least three other M :macm: in the Area. I keep it Mast Up on trailer in a Marina. Commute 656 km's to sail but my kids use it also who live in Melbourne .Dave
Paulieb
Engineer
Location: New Windsor, NY * Airbender 2002 Mac26X, Honda 50 *

Post by Paulieb »

Added Airbender to Haverstraw Marina in Haverstraw NY - not much up North in my neck of the woods yet.
Hope to see more soon.
:macx:
Paulieb
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

There I've updated my stomping grounds and my location, but theres no way in hull anyones getting me to post my fishing spots :wink:
kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore »

Paulieb wrote:Added Airbender to Haverstraw Marina in Haverstraw NY - not much up North in my neck of the woods yet.
Hope to see more soon.
Paulieb
Well, now that we have our little place on Lake Champlain, once we have a dock installed I'll move the Mac up there and they'll be one more. Yeah, it's a wee bit north of you, but at least it's in NY. :)
robbarnes1965
Captain
Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Post by robbarnes1965 »

kmclemore wrote:
Paulieb wrote:Added Airbender to Haverstraw Marina in Haverstraw NY - not much up North in my neck of the woods yet.
Hope to see more soon.
Paulieb
Well, now that we have our little place on Lake Champlain, once we have a dock installed I'll move the Mac up there and they'll be one more. Yeah, it's a wee bit north of you, but at least it's in NY. :)
I sold my Mac last year but Sheri bought an old Sandpiper so we are still in the game an within an easy drive if there is a rendezvous on Lake Champlain this summer.

Rob
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

I had no trouble posting my location in Toronto - and I'm usually a klutz at these things. But I could not manage to add my own icon. I gave it the valid URL to the board's Mac-X icon but it displays as broken.
sirlandsalot
Engineer

Post by sirlandsalot »

Yup trying to do it on a iPad.....nothing works, can't do it....
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Perhaps the ipad is the problem. I just visited the map and updated some items. All works fine from a Windows 7 PC and Android tablet. I don't own any Apple products, so cannot test. Sometimes Google and Apple don't play well together.

~Rich