Where to park the boat in the greater Miami area

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Chinook
Admiral

Where to park the boat in the greater Miami area

Post by Chinook »

I posted this topic on the Great Loop forum several weeks ago. It's gotten 10 looks and no replies. Not nearly the activity there as compared with this board. Therefore I'll give you guys a try. We're planning on flying out of Miami for a couple of weeks over the Christmas holidays, and will need to park the boat somewhere down there while we're away. We are looking for reasonable security, electrical plug in, and protected moorage at a reasonable rate. Proximity to transit isn't an issue, since we have ground transportation through a relative while there. Any ideas or suggestions you south Florida sailors have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike Cecka/Chinook
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Re: Where to park the boat in the greater Miami area

Post by Gazmn »

All I can think of is a recommendation made by many who go to the keys that's Mac friendly:
Launching at South Dade Marina will cost you $10 a day for launch and storage of truck/trailer.

That's from Dave B. in another topic, "Bahamas for Christmas".
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Gazmn wrote:All I can think of is a recommendation made by many who go to the keys that's Mac friendly:
Launching at South Dade Marina will cost you $10 a day for launch and storage of truck/trailer.

That's from Dave B. in another topic, "Bahamas for Christmas".
I thought of them also but they have limited dock space there but have some slip space. He could see if all the slips are taken though. The place is just feet off of the highway to the Keys.

Sumner

P.S. Congrats Mike on the great progress you guys have made and for taking the time to document it so well. Are you still planning on going to the boat yard and if so about when?

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Hi Sum,

Yes, I am planning on heading to your boat yard, so I can get the oil changed on the outboard, and have the gear oil in the lower unit replaced. I'll want to get the boat out of the water to do this. We will probably be there in late November or early December. A lot depends on how long we will have to wait before making our crossing of the Gulf of Mexico. Any update on when you'll be there?
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

Chinook wrote:Hi Sum, Any update on when you'll be there?

I sent you a PM,

Sum
Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie »

Hmmmmm. Not sure how you can get an electrical plug in on a moorage. However if electric is critical, South Dade is probably the best bet. If secure moorage is the prime consideration, Boot Key Harbor at Marathon is very reasonable and secure. Both are on US 1 and the bus runs right past them.
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

Retcoastie wrote:...If secure moorage is the prime consideration, Boot Key Harbor at Marathon is very reasonable and secure. Both are on US 1 and the bus runs right past them.
Boot Key doesn't want you leaving your boat there moored and unattended. Now saying that we did leave the Mac there for a few days like that when we drove back over to Ft. Myers Beach to look at the Endeavour and then up to Port Charlotte to retrieve the Suburban and trailer and moved them to South Dade Marina so we could later take out there. We asked a guy on the boat next to ours at Boot Key to please keep an eye on our boat and he did but there wasn't any problems and we were never confronted by the staff at Boot Key.

I took Ruth and our luggage ashore and then took the dinghy back and left it with the Mac and our neighbor then took me ashore so we didn't leave the dinghy at the dinghy dock there while gone. Upon returning I hitched a ride back to the boat with someone leaving the dinghy dock,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

I was in Bahia Honda State Park 3 weeks ago, Slips were empty except one MacX.(over 30 slips)
Penny camp at $30 a day in slip 3 years ago with 110 shore hookup. South Dade Marina (Bill) was still $10 a day to launch and store Truck.(has very limited dockage with 110 ac.)
Others are very expensive, make a deal with them before season starts.
Start calling and book now.
Dave
fishstalker7
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by fishstalker7 »

Mike,

I'd give Dinner Key Marina a call and see what they can work out with you. It's in south central Miami, good resources nearby, next to city hall (we've never had a security problem there), lots of slips and 2x mooring fields on approach. I think it would meet your needs if you could get a monthly rate.

Have a great trip! I'm enjoying the blog!

David