HOW COME THEY DON'T TALKS TO US?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: HOW COME THEY DON'T TALKS TO US?

Post by BOAT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:23 pm

sailboatmike wrote:The answer is simple!!

They are all keel boat owners who just dream of having a boat as flexible and popular as a Mac.

While in open public they freely dismiss the Mac as a poor excuse for a boat, they sit in their darkened bedrooms and crave the freedom and brotherhood being a MAc owner gives one.

OR

As Boat says "He smells" :D

More than likely the latter.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Maybe it's like the kid who uttered his first words at eight years of age; "can I have something else?"; when served liver for dinner. His amazed parents gasped; "you can speak?" "Why haven't you spoken before?" The child replied, "until now, things have been going pretty good..."

Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:12 pm

I may know one person who reads this forum but doesn't post. He may be somewhat representative of some of the folks that tune into us but do not speak/post. I met him at a family party several years ago. He is a relative of a relative by marriage so not an actual relative of mine. The first time I met him, we started talking like you do with a stranger, and the topic got around to what we did for fun and, eventually, boating. At that point he started talking in a really animated way about this neat boat he wanted to buy someday. He started describing this sailboat that could handle a 50 h.p. engine and used water ballast. After he described it, he told me it was a MacGregor, and he really wished he could have one someday. But there was a kind of melancholy tone to his avid description of the boat, like he was dreaming about something he knew he could never have. He talked about his family not really liking boats; that was part of it for sure, but there was a kind of wistfulness that suggested to me he did not think he could ever overcome all the obstacles to ownership---his family's objections, the cost, his own lack of faith in himself to ever really have something he wanted so badly. It almost hurt to eventually share with him that I actually had the boat he dreamed of having. Now days when I run into him at the occasional family get together, he doesn't mention the MacGregors. I think he eventually gave up on the dream. There are a lot of stories out there of folks like my friend. I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to actually experience my "dream boat" and have enjoyed it for 13 years and counting. Let's appreciate our blessings. :)

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 pm

I will admit that I read more than I post. I have "fear of asking a question that has already been asked a thousand times over the years and it's in the archives somewhere but I can't find it" disease.

Plus....I am still wondering what all the ropes and cables on this run-about ski-boat are for. Once I figure it out I'll probably have a few questions. 8)

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:55 am

:D :D :D
Jimmyt wrote:Maybe it's like the kid who uttered his first words at eight years of age; "can I have something else?"; when served liver for dinner. His amazed parents gasped; "you can speak?" "Why haven't you spoken before?" The child replied, "until now, things have been going pretty good..."

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 am

I thought maybe all those people might talk to us. Well, you guys - I can understand why they might not want to talk to me because I am a troll who makes people mad but all the other guys here are real nice so I was hoping you guys could get them to talk to us. 6500 people interested enough in the MAC to register is a a lot of people. There could be a lot of friends out there.

Floater
Just Enlisted

Post by Floater » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:50 am

Now imagine all the lurkers (I was one for a couple years) who read the forum but never even join the site. How many of those are out there?

budgates
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by budgates » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 am

Jimmyt wrote:Maybe it's like the kid who uttered his first words at eight years of age; "can I have something else?"; when served liver for dinner. His amazed parents gasped; "you can speak?" "Why haven't you spoken before?" The child replied, "until now, things have been going pretty good..."
My wife didn't talk until she was five. When she finally started she spoke in full sentences.

budgates
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by budgates » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 am

Herschel wrote:I may know one person who reads this forum but doesn't post. He may be somewhat representative of some of the folks that tune into us but do not speak/post. I met him at a family party several years ago. He is a relative of a relative by marriage so not an actual relative of mine. The first time I met him, we started talking like you do with a stranger, and the topic got around to what we did for fun and, eventually, boating. At that point he started talking in a really animated way about this neat boat he wanted to buy someday. He started describing this sailboat that could handle a 50 h.p. engine and used water ballast. After he described it, he told me it was a MacGregor, and he really wished he could have one someday. But there was a kind of melancholy tone to his avid description of the boat, like he was dreaming about something he knew he could never have. He talked about his family not really liking boats; that was part of it for sure, but there was a kind of wistfulness that suggested to me he did not think he could ever overcome all the obstacles to ownership---his family's objections, the cost, his own lack of faith in himself to ever really have something he wanted so badly. It almost hurt to eventually share with him that I actually had the boat he dreamed of having. Now days when I run into him at the occasional family get together, he doesn't mention the MacGregors. I think he eventually gave up on the dream. There are a lot of stories out there of folks like my friend. I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to actually experience my "dream boat" and have enjoyed it for 13 years and counting. Let's appreciate our blessings. :)

I was in his position for several years. I finally solved the issue by getting a different wife. :)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:52 am

I dunno, but the post from Herschel really spoke to me.

Folks, that story from Herschel really grabbed me - because if I had not had a dad that started me on a sailboat when I was a kid I too would have probably never thought I could get one. I'm here to tell all of you that are thinking that way that you CAN.

Let me tell you something:

In my first 20 years of marriage we drove used cars - an old Dodge dart, a Volkswagen ghia, several old beat up Volvo's, and a lot of old Dodge trucks I kept alive with the help of neighbors. Even our BMW we got after 20 years of marriage was a used car we got for 5000 dollars from a neighbor. When we moved to the San Diego area from Los Angeles my wife did not work for 8 years and I found out the hard way that the job market in San Diego was barley 1% of the job market I came from in LA. I was out of work looking for a job every two years. When your the last one hired your the first one fired when there are lay offs. It's only fair - the people who had been there 10 years will have their jobs protected better than the new guy. I was laid off 5 times in 12 years. Breaking into the San Diego market was very hard. I was not a government worker and I had no union job. There was a 1/2 inch thick oil slick in front of my house up until ten years ago because of all the old leaky cars I owned. I repaired my own cars. I mowed my own grass, did my own landscaping, painted my own house, did my own construction and electrical. Cleaned my own carpets and remodeled my own kitchen. Most people would not have been able to live on what we were living on. The fact that I had Autism and did not even know it at the time made it even more difficult. But I never cheated, I paid my bills, and I did the best I could. For cheap vacations my wife and I drove around the country in a tiny 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota truck with a pop-up tent camper in the bed. I remember when we bought that Dakota new for 11 thousand dollars - for us it was so expensive that it was the only car we had for over a year! My wife loved to hear all the stories I told her of my childhood on a sailboat when we were on those long road trips in the Dakota - and we dreamed of having a boat. We even set aside money - a little bit every year. I know what it is to live poor - I did it for twenty years. Why? Because I wanted to live HERE. I gave up a good career to live in a place I wanted to be that had no jobs for people with my skills. For me - where I am is always more important than how much money I make. That's why if you dream about a boat you SHOULD GET ONE EVEN IF YOUR POOR! Why do I say that?

Two reasons:
One - Life is short.
Two - Everything about sailboats changed in the 1970's

In 1970 the Venture and the Aquarius and all kinds of TRAILER boats came to the market. They are cheap to buy and cheap to own. Back then a Venture cost as much as a new Chrysler, by 2012 a new MAC cost the same as a new HONDA! Yes, the price of the boats was even CHEAPER in 2012 than in 1970 by comparison. The absolute best time to buy a new MAC was probably 2013. Those days are gone. Now - it's a used market. All I can say is GET EM WHILE THEY ARE STILL CHEAP. It will not last.

And what about the work to own a MAC? Maybe I give it two or three full weekends a month for all maintenance for the entire year. Now, my yard? That was 45 out of 52 weekends every year working on the grass and weeds and maintenance!! That's crazy! So I put in plastic grass and cut my yard time to about 10 full weekends a year and saved a 1000 dollars a year in California water bills. That's still WAY more than the boat. The boat is cheap. It just sit's there under a tarp next to the house doing nothing and costing nothing. In the meantime the weeds are growing and the house is ageing and the termites are eating and the cars are rusting and don't even get me started on kids college tuition. We spend all our lives SLAVES to most of our possessions. With a boat, the RIGHT boat, it does not need to be that way. (P.S. thanks to my kid going to Jr. College for two years before going to the University is gave us enough cash to pay off the boat!).

You might need to be rich to own a boat - but trust me, you do not need to be rich to own a MAC. They are very very cheap.

Those of you on the fence really should post your dreams here - ask questions. The people here can tell you how to make your dreams come true for pennies. We all do it every day. If you don't follow your dreams you will end up bitter, and angry, and frustrated and you will blame other people and have no friends.

When you follow your dreams it gives you hope and makes you grateful for life and other people.

Talk to us!!

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

That's a great write-up, Boat. :)
I hope you reached somebody out there and get someone off the fence and encouraged him to look into a boat.
That would count as your good deed of the day. :D

Obelix

Dragos Filimon
Chief Steward
Location: Milledgeville, GA , 2002 26X "L'Esperance", 70HP Suzuki

Post by Dragos Filimon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:06 am

And very to the object. Yeah.... life's short.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:17 pm

tlgeddes wrote:I will admit that I read more than I post. I have "fear of asking a question that has already been asked a thousand times over the years and it's in the archives somewhere but I can't find it" disease.
I think this is true for many lurkers. Personally, I can't get the search to work well for me. I know Kevin has explained it, but I just can't master it.

Folks need not be shy. The fact is, this is one of the friendliest boards on the internet.
If it's been asked before, nobody cares because members here LOVE to offer advice. Most are waiting for someone to ask a question so they can chime in. So give them something to do.

As for the number of registered. Many I believe were early shoppers looking to learn more about the Mac. Then there are the people that BOAT scared off. :P Seriously, BOAT has some of the most professional and useful mods. Don't be frightened by his weirdness. :wink:

--Russ

Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Folks, that story from Herschel really grabbed me - because if I had not had a dad that started me on a sailboat when I was a kid I too would have probably never thought I could get one. I'm here to tell all of you that are thinking that way that you CAN.
Boat, we need more trolls like you in the world. If we did, the world would be a better place. 8)

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Herschel wrote:
Boat, we need more trolls like you in the world. If we did, the world would be a better place. 8)
BOAT started out as a troll. But he couldn't keep it up. Now he's a great contributor to this site.

--Russ