Best places to visit for weekend or day trip from La Conner

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
bellevuesailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Best places to visit for weekend or day trip from La Conner

Post by bellevuesailor »

I've got my 26m moored at La Conner in the Puget Sound for June. What are the best places to visit on a 1.5 to 2 day trip? I thought about going to Lopez Island which isn't too far. Anything else interesting closer? Thank you.
Chinook
Admiral

Re: Best places to visit for weekend or day trip from La Con

Post by Chinook »

Can't get much closer than Anacortes, Cap Sante Marina, which is a fun place to visit. Saddlebag Island, in Padilla Bay, is often a good place to drop a crab trap. Cruising through Deception Pass, at or near slack, is a dramatic experience. Several neat anchorages at Deception Pass State Park, such as Bowman Bay and Rosario Beach. Don't overlook James Island, just across Rosario Strait. It's all State Park, with good anchorages on both the east and west sides of the island. Just watch out for raccoons if you land at the dock. They're very bold and can make a mess of things quickly. You're located in an outstanding cruising area. Enjoy discovering it. Of course, Lopez Island is a great place to go, as are all of the San Juan Islands. On Lopez, give Fisherman's Bay a try. It's a good test of navigational skills and buoy reading, as you enter the narrow channel.
bellevuesailor
Just Enlisted

Post by bellevuesailor »

Thanks Chinook for all the tips! For James Island and Saddlebag Island, have you ever beached the 26m to get on land? I should bring a dinghy?
bellevuesailor
Just Enlisted

Post by bellevuesailor »

Just realized that it might not be the smartest thing to beach boats in the San Juans due to the large tide differential...
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

You'll need a dinghy at Saddlebag, for sure. However, the west side of James Island features a State Park dock where, for a reasonable fee, you can tie up for the night. Watch out for those raccoons, though. I suggest you pick up a copy of Waggoneer's Cruising Guide, which will give you loads of good info on all kinds of great places to go.