Charleston / Savannah

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Charleston / Savannah

Post by K9Kampers » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Am looking for ideas re a potential Mac-less March-ish vacation of the Charleston, SC / Savannah, GA locales.
Thanks in advance!

buck_justice
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Charleston / Savannah

Post by buck_justice » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm

A ferry ride out to Fort Sumpter for historical quest is a lot of fun.,We did that a couple months ago. There is a historical church that we attended and toured free, named St. Michaels. It was the most awesome and interesting church I had ever been to. George Washington and Robert E Lee Both worshiped there. hard to go wrong! Lots of history in Charleston.
The bus tour of Savanna is great also. Lots of history there also. I enjoyed it all. The prohibition and Maritime Museums were both fun also.
Buck

Chinook
Admiral

Re: Charleston / Savannah

Post by Chinook » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 pm

We toured both Charleston and Savannah twice while cruising through the area on our boat. First trip in the fall of 2003, going down the ICW, second in the spring of 2016, going north while on our Loop trip. Bus tour of Savannah was great. I'd also recommend spending some time in Brunswich GA, which is a smaller city, also built on the Oglethorpe city square plan. The county courthouse there is one of the most beautiful public buildings I've ever seen. Brunswich is also proud of its heritage of Liberty ship construction during World War II. Savannah is a little harder to visit by boat, since there are no good recreational marinas immediately proximate to Savannah. Thunderbolt and one other marina are about 10 or 15 miles away. Bus or uber service both provide good land transportation options. Charleston has a fine city marina, but beware of the currents there. They run right through the marina at up to 3 or 4 knots at peak flow.