Gulfport/Biloxi Sailing

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
buck_justice
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Gulfport/Biloxi Sailing

Post by buck_justice »

Hey everyone, I was thinking about taking my :tat26: to Gulfport from Texas and do a bit of sailing there. I understand that there are several islands there that are fun to visit. Such as ship island and cat island, are there any locals in that area that could give some insight on places to sail and things to do??
Buck
Whaler Sailor
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Gulfport/Biloxi Sailing

Post by Whaler Sailor »

I know this is a February '20 post but here goes.

Depending on how many days you plan on spending on the Ms. Gulf Coast you could.

Visit Fort Massachusetts on Ship Island as a one or 2 day trip.
To do it right it takes a week.
Start in Bay St. Louis or Ocean Springs.

Deer Island is very, VERY close to Biloxi. If features Indian burial mounds, mounds of oysters and rattle snakes. The south side is very shallow.
If you walk along the water on the south side alittle east of the Harbor, you will see lots of black colored (tiny) pottery pieces right at tje edge.
The numerous storms caused thisl

Ship is somewhat in the middle. It features Fort Massachusetts and some truly incredible beaches. The Ms. Gulf Coast beaches are man made and water quality by these beaches is "suspect" at best.
The barrier island's have incredible clean water and beaches on the south side. I personally perfer to transit the north(leeward)
side. Anchor up and explore.

Cat is the exception water um ya suspect.

Horn Island is magnificent. At about 11 miles long and a half mile wide, its a special place on this earth.

Petit Bois is also magnificent however its a good bit west of Ocean Springs.

Then there is Chandeleur island.
It runs somewhat north and south. The rest somewhat east amd west. (Except Cat Island).

Ship island is approximately 11 miles south from Biloxi, and about 7 miles long.(1/8th of a mile wide)

Chandeleur Island is almost 39 miles from Biloxi. Yes almost 27 miles past Ship Island.
The Chandeleur chain of Islands is about 50 miles long.
The southernmost tip of Chandeleur is almost 90 miles south of Biloxi/Gulfporr.
The west side is never-ending grass flats Speckle Trout/Red Fish meca. The east side is the beach side.

From the east tip of Horn to west tip of Ship is about 37 miles.

Enjoy!

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks for posting this! I'm hoping to hit some of these spots when it's not so hot. Very informative post.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Whaler Sailor
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Whaler Sailor »

Your welcome!
If mobile is you homeport might i suggest either.
Place tow vehicle and empty trailer in Bay St Louis or have someone splash you in Bay St Louis.
Do it as a one way.
You could work in a visit to the west end of Dauphin and include Petit Bois.