Southport NC -- trip planning info needed

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
rszobel
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Southport NC -- trip planning info needed

Post by rszobel »

I am potentially planning a trip to Southport area this summer and am wondering a few things ......

(1) is there any decent inland sailing in the river areas there or does one have to go oout into the atlantic for decent sailing? From what i can tell, one would head out to the atlantic.

(2) if heading out the inlet to the atlantic - is it crazy busy? I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and went out the inlet at port everglades many times, but only once in an older mac - i would never do it again as it was just too many boats, too choppy, and insane wakes to deal with. I want to know if it is similar at the inlet to atlantic in southport.

(3) does anyone know of public ramps in the area?

(4) places to rent a slip for a week or two?

(5) is it worth taking the :macx: down there if i'm going for a week or two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing at all about the area.
SENCMac26x
First Officer

Re: Southport NC -- trip planning info needed

Post by SENCMac26x »

Hey I live in the area and can answer some of these.
(1) is there any decent inland sailing in the river areas there or does one have to go oout into the atlantic for decent sailing? From what i can tell, one would head out to the atlantic.
Yes the area between Bald Head Island and Southport is a decent place to sail however, watch the tides. The currents can be stiff. The same is true for the rest of the river.
(2) if heading out the inlet to the atlantic - is it crazy busy? I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and went out the inlet at port everglades many times, but only once in an older mac - i would never do it again as it was just too many boats, too choppy, and insane wakes to deal with. I want to know if it is similar at the inlet to atlantic in southport.
The inlet conditions is completely dependent on the weather and tides. It can be quite nice but if the tide is running strong against the wind it can be very, very snotty. I've never found it too crowded for that inlet. CB Inlet when it was open was crowded and Masonboro Inlet can be busy as well.
(3) does anyone know of public ramps in the area?

Southport Marina has a ramp, some member here used to keep their Macs there. There is also NC Wildlife ramp about 11 miles north a Carolina Beach (Where I'm at) It can be a nice sail between the two and another public ramp in downtown WIlmington and at Wrightsville Beach.
(4) places to rent a slip for a week or two?

Southport Marina would be my recommendation. I've stayed a time or and they're nice. There are a few others in the area that will service transient dockage but I have no experience with them.
(5) is it worth taking the :macx: down there if i'm going for a week or two?
I would, there are interesting places to sail too while staying inland. Along with the waterfront scene in Southport, Bald Head Island is about 5 miles away and can be an awesome day trip or spend the night. Carolina Beach about 11 miles away and has mooring and decent anchorage with a summer time fair, weekly fireworks and retro-style boardwalk. Downtown Wilmington about 20 miles north with plenty of city docks along the waterfront and slips at the convention center. Lots of shopping and restaurants.

Shark Tooth island in the river famous for finding sharks teeth, Wrightsville Beach (popular local beach island with boat friendly restaurants) and Masonboro Island (an undeveloped natural barrier island great for camping and having a fire on the beach for an evening)

You can also head south down the ditch to Calabash (famous for seafood), sail out Little Inlet or go to Myrtle Beach's Barefoot landing for the night.
rszobel
Engineer

Post by rszobel »

excellent info - very much appreciated.

couple other questions

-- i looked on google maps and can't find sharks tooth island -- how far upriver is it?
-- it looks like there are a lot of estuary type of areas in the river basin closeby Southport. Are these navigable in an :macx: ? some of those areas
look like they would be cool to explore but potentially too shallow
SENCMac26x
First Officer

Post by SENCMac26x »

The Marshes can be really shallow and very narrow. I wouldn't reccomend going in them.

Google 'Shark Tooth Island Cape Fear River' and Maps will show you the island.

Here is a link to an article about it: https://lifeinbrunswickcounty.com/shark ... river-gem/