67th Annual Mug Race

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

67th Annual Mug Race

Post by Inquisitor »

April 30th - May 2nd

Anyone interested? I haven't done it in many years, but I going to try and get the :macm: (and me) in order to have some fun. It is not high-stress and there won't be someone trying to force a foul by sailing port-tack on you, yet calling "STARBOARD TACK". Its an all day race (at least for our Macs) and a lot of fun with a bunch of good sailing people.

https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/21676
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 67th Annual Mug Race

Post by Be Free »

I've never done the race but I've done the course many times in both directions. I have to agree that these are the most laid back racers you will ever meet.

I remember back in 2012 my brother and I showed up to the Palatka dock for a leisurely weekend. We had not even decided if we wanted to go north or south. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into my normally empty launching area only to be met with wall-to-wall sailboats getting ready to launch.

While we were setting up John Casale came up to us and introduced himself. He was crewing on a trimaran (as I recall) for a friend so he did not have his own boat in the race. He graciously offered his mooring in Julington Creek to us if we chose to go north. I think he said his boat was in the Tampa area where he was working at the time.

The next morning the wind favored going north so we waited until the last competitor (the beach cats) left and just followed the fleet. We did spend the night on his mooring (the only time I've ever done so). We "raced" a Hunter 26 back to Palatka the next morning.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

I've been doing a little bit of reading about this race/event, including reading past trip reports and it looks like a great time.

I didn't see this until a couple days ago and don't think I can throw together the trip from PA to FL that quickly... mostly because of no crew available to come play boats for a few days. My Suburban, my 26D, and the trailer are ready to go and I'm longing for an epic adventure.... maybe next year I can make it happen!

I'm looking forward to reading the trip report in a few weeks.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

You don't need a crew. I've single handed that route many times. :wink:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

In theory, you're absolutely right. I'm fully capable of doing the trip solo, but logistically, I want someone to share the trip with. It's a 16 hour drive from Erie, PA at just over 1,000 miles one way, then the boat setup and sail handling, boat/obstacle avoidance and such.
I understand that this is maybe not a true hardcore race per se, but if I'm going through the hassle to get down there, I want to be as competitive as possible while still having as much fun as I can manage. This trip solo seems more daunting than fun.

In reality, if I'm trailering a boat to Florida, what I REALLY want is a week trip to the Bahamas.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

I concur on the single handing. I was fully prepared to go alone and quite surprised that one of my life-long buddies in another state was up for it. But I also agree that my (only) 8 hour trip is definitely at my limit for the solo driving part. The logistics of moving a vehicle from one town to another and get back up to the starting point is definitely something that has to be accounted for. Although they have a shuttle service, you have to leave way too much time. There'll probably be a long launch line, then drive your trailer 90 minutes to the end point, to meet the shuttle coming back to the make the captains meeting. This means you really need to be at the launch point by at least 3 pm... four hours before the meeting.

:D BUT... we Mac M/X people have the magic bullet! We're launching at the race end point, where no-one will be launching (no line) and we'll motor up the course at a leisurely 10 to 12 knots in those same four hours. Let's see if any of those "real" sailboats can do that? 8)
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

In theory you could also do it the other way. You could motor back to Palatka after the race but I think your way is better. I've done the return south to Palatka in the dark. There are a surprising number of unlit markers and when I did it the Friday after Thanksgiving, a frustrating number of people who put red/green Christmas lights on their docks. They look an awful lot like channel markers from a mile or two away in the dark. :?
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Be Free wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 am ... They look an awful lot like channel markers from a mile or two away in the dark. :?
OMG! :D I can see that might cause some problems!
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

svscott wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 pm In theory, you're absolutely right. I'm fully capable of doing the trip solo, but logistically, I want someone to share the trip with. It's a 16 hour drive from Erie, PA at just over 1,000 miles one way, then the boat setup and sail handling, boat/obstacle avoidance and such.
I understand that this is maybe not a true hardcore race per se, but if I'm going through the hassle to get down there, I want to be as competitive as possible while still having as much fun as I can manage. This trip solo seems more daunting than fun.

In reality, if I'm trailering a boat to Florida, what I REALLY want is a week trip to the Bahamas.
I was thinking of the sailing but that would be a long way to drive alone pulling a boat. Even longer if you want to get to a good jumping off spot for the Bahamas. Figure pretty close to another 400 miles, the last couple of hours through some pretty congested areas.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Inquisitor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am
Be Free wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 am ... They look an awful lot like channel markers from a mile or two away in the dark. :?
OMG! :D I can see that might cause some problems!
Yes, I don't remember the exact amount but it was pretty close to ten miles longer coming back due to wandering side to side following the "markers".

I needed Golum with me. "Don't follow the lights!"
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D