Matagorda Bay - Where to launch where we can park our truck with boat trailer?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

MisfitSailers
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Matagorda Bay - Where to launch where we can park our truck with boat trailer?

Post by MisfitSailers » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:14 am

Hi! We're looking at putting our boat in around the Matagorda Bay for a few days but we do not know where to launch that would have a place where our truck and trailer would remain safe. Any suggestions?

Also, we've only done lake hopping so far. Any tips about things I should think about for prepping before we hit the Bay?

Brian
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Re: Matagorda Bay - Where to launch where we can park our truck with boat trailer?

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:51 pm

Howdy! Since nobody with local knowledge has responded yet, I will respond. I have not made it there myself yet, but that is on my list of places to visit.

Magnolia Beach Park has a boat ramp with parking. The Texas 200 folks use that ramp, so I assume that there must be substantial long term parking.

I checked their website, but did not find specific information about the ramp or parking. They have a forum, but I don't do Facebook, so you are on your own there.
You could also reach out to a member of their Board of Directors:
https://www.texas200.com/Info.html

I purchased the Waterway Guide Western Gulf Coast edition.
https://www.waterwayguide.com/ship-store/product/97

There is way more information than you need since it covers New Orleans to South Padre Island, but the guide lists four marinas on Matagorda Bay that you could use in addition to anchorages and other useful information.

Hope this helps. Please share your experience for the next guy.
2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506
TLDI 90