Foresail Sheets track position and LifeLine Interferance

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

leefrankpierce
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Foresail Sheets track position and LifeLine Interferance

Post by leefrankpierce » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:23 am

No one ever taught me to sail, so I read and listen and try things..
One thing is confusing me on our Mac's...
1. Jib foresail tracks seem way too inboard for any useful sail shape, most boats seem to have the track outboard along the edge of the deck. Isn't that a better position?
2. If I put a track out there, how do I deal with the lifelines and shrouds? Most boats seem to have the shrouds well inside the deck edge where the lifelines go and the track between the lifelines and the shrouds, but on ours, that would make the connection point inside the shrouds and lifelines.
Would I run the sheets around the outside of the shrouds and under the lifelines? Around the shrouds and over the lifelines? Inside both so that the sail has to flop over the lifelines to get any position other than sheeted as much as possible? Just seems that space does not work right for our setup.

3. If one avoids the Jib track location and uses a Genoa, using the rearward tracks on the cockpit, can you still balance the helm using the mainsheet?

Summary, my 2000 26x has original sails so I need to replace them, and am willing to do whatever mods needed to optimize the boat, including new track positions, even considering a full rig instead of our fractional. (talking the forestay here)
I sail in Texas lakes, so 5-15 are the wind speeds I will most often deal with, the Admiral prefers the 5mph, so large sail area might be best for me.
Considering a Genoa that is as big as possible, or.... the most effective Jib I can.
I can put the work in while the boat is on the trailer at home, but very lazy once on the water, so no sail changes once setup.

Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Foresail Sheets track position and LifeLine Interferance

Post by Interim » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am

I have a 26s, so it is a bit different than your boat. I struggled with the location of my tracks for a while, and then just ended up putting them on a line from the original jib sheet fairlead back to the winch. It was a compromise from the different locations I was considering.

We have a 135 genny on a roller, and we run the sheets outside the shrouds when the car is all the way aft, and inside the shrouds when it is all the way forward (only used when we are rolled up quite a bit, because partial furling would be in heavier winds, so an aft position would give us more twist).

--john

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am

The sheets for the working jib go straight to the cars on the cabin roof. The jib is small enough that the sheets don't foul the lifelines.

The sheets for the genoa go outside the shrouds, and above the lifelines, to the cars on the cockpit coaming. Unfortunately, the forward half of the tee track is basically unusable unless you unreave the sheet so it passes under the lifeline rail, which I do on the windward sheet while the lee sheet is under load, then it's set for the next tack. But it's a lousy place for the rail to be, since it's right in the middle of the range of the sheet.

Found a couple of pics in my library (roll eyes), first being the working jib furled at a dock.

The second is also a furled sail, but it's the genoa, and you can see the sheet passing outside the shrouds to the car at the cockpit.

For the old timers here, the first photo is from MMOR 2016, when we stopped at some restaurant. I don't recall where exactly that restaurant was, but it was somewhere on Lake Simcoe, probably just inside the entrance to Lagoon City. For the forum youngsters, there are five Macs in that photo, all members here.

In the second, that's Highlander in front of me, leading the parade of two back to the launch ramp at the end of MMOR 2015. Always the saddest part of these get togethers. :cry:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

leefrankpierce
Just Enlisted

Post by leefrankpierce » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 am

Kinda gives the impression that we either want a smallish "working" jib, or a Genoa big enough to go around.
How is the helm balance maintained using a Genoa, is it an issue?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am

leefrankpierce wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 am
Kinda gives the impression that we either want a smallish "working" jib, or a Genoa big enough to go around.
How is the helm balance maintained using a Genoa, is it an issue?
I haven't found it to be an issue. One of the things I do like about the genoa is that you can sail on that alone. Can't do that with the jib.

On a furler, it's easy-peasy to single hand, though I single hand every sail configuration as any 'crew' I've ever had is better at NOT touching anything than 'helping'. :D
Tom
Be seeing you . . .