How is your Tack and Jibe experience with multiple head sails?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Inquisitor
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

How is your Tack and Jibe experience with multiple head sails?

Post by Inquisitor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:45 am

I don't have a bowsprit (YET). I have a furling Genoa and I deploy the cruising spinnaker. I've tried it on a block off the pulpit and off the anchor roller. I have also tried, on the spinnaker, running the sheets inside and outside the sail. All with mixed results. If inside, its real cramped and I tend to snag it on something even if I let the spinnaker tack fly out a little. If outside, I tend to wrap the leeward line under the hull. It all makes sailing single-handed near impossible, especially since I don't have an autopilot to man the helm why I'm forward fixing things. I'd really like your advice whether you have bowsprit or not on...
  • your experience with multiple head sails and techniques to reduce my coming forward on Tacks and Jibes.
  • I would like a dual bowsprit (Highlander style) so I can mount the Genoa outside the pulpit and a spinnaker in a sock out front of that. Ooooh yeah! :P
  • How far out is your bowsprit connection and do you find it far-enough to easily clear a Genoa between itself and the pulpit/jib on the main forestay?
  • Further still how much clearance for spinnaker on the bowsprit?
  • Do you run your spinnaker sheets between or in front of the sail?
  • If in front... do you have any advice for keeping the sheet out from under the boat?
Maybe, I just need more practice. 8)
A few too many degrees off center.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: How is your Tack and Jibe experience with multiple head sails?

Post by Highlander » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 pm

#1 My genny is 3ft out on my 4ft bowsprit
#2 spinnaker is 4ft out on the end of bowsprit
#3 all 4 head sails r on furlers so all sheets run inside
#4 spinnaker is on a profurl top down spinnaker furler so spinnaker flies free of furler on a 2ft tackline in my case so as to clear the bow pulpit or can b directly attached with no tack line or tack line can b just run thru shackle or block attached to shackle & run aft to b adjustable

#5 Yep easy peezy :) :P

J 8)

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:03 am

Well milks nice the profurl.

Just maybe a stupid question:
Could yo "misuse" as a temporary forestay/furler a for a job?

So having a all time CDI furler with the Genoa, and hoist this furler temporarily for a smaller jib.... ? ?

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm

I use the mast raising pole as a removable bowsprit. It’s lashed to the anchor windlass and the anchor roller. It’s a light air set up for a “geneker” only. The sail has to be handed around the headstay when tacking. I rarely use it but the gear takes up no additional space. Highlanders cutter rig seems to work for him, but my experience is that multi headsail rigs are less weatherly overall. Depends on your use of the boat.
I did have a cutter rig on a small keel boat, which I liked. She was not a very weatherly boat to begin with though.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.

Inquisitor
First Officer

Post by Inquisitor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:58 am

Ixneigh wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm
I use the mast raising pole as a removable bowsprit. It’s lashed to the anchor windlass and the anchor roller. It’s a light air set up for a “geneker” only. The sail has to be handed around the headstay when tacking. I rarely use it but the gear takes up no additional space. Highlanders cutter rig seems to work for him, but my experience is that multi headsail rigs are less weatherly overall. Depends on your use of the boat.
I did have a cutter rig on a small keel boat, which I liked. She was not a very weatherly boat to begin with though.

Ix
Your words make sense. Having more up front (not being used) would only create more drag when going to weather. My preference for Highlander's rig is more for its ability to single-hand. I did not plan on getting a spinnaker furler. Way too much money for me. I would just raise it, in a sock in those rare cases that I can use it. I still like the idea of having the Genoa outside of the pulpit. It bothers me to see it bent over the pulpit now.

Which leaves the primary forestay with the Jib. Which is why I started this thread.

Does having the furled Genoa in front of the Jib totally destroy the Jib's upwind advantage?
A few too many degrees off center.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:46 pm

The furled Genoa is a lot of windage. On my keel boat, I would gradually reduce the jib but leave the staysail set. The staysail nicknamed the Mule, stayed up to triple reefs. On Highlander’s boat if I had to guess, reducing each sail a little, rather than completely furling the front most one, would be better for performance. Once the wind hits 15K and above though, I suspect the double headsail rig would lose out to a sloop with the correct sail up.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.