Repowering Options June 2020 Evinrude leaves outboard business, confirmed

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Repowering Options June 2020 Evinrude leaves outboard business, confirmed

Post by Tomfoolery »

Just saw this on another (non-boating) forum and thought it would be interesting to folks here.

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/news- ... uuDAm3KWFM
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Evinrude leaving the outboard business?

Post by Jimmyt »

That's too bad. Hope they are able to keep their word on supplying service parts...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

That's sad. The e-Tec was an engineering marvel.
--Russ
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Just two days ago we visited a marine shop here in North County to ask them if they could do scheduled maintenance on our ETEC60. We went to them because they are the premier shop in north county san diego specializing in race and performance. They also have a trailer shop and do brakes and axles. It was great to pull into the shop and see dozens of race boats on trailers and sailboats too all neatly parked in huge garages with uniformed mechanics all swarming around the outboards like bees. I asked the guy about service and he said all the shops were dropping the Evinrude service!!!

I said Whaaa? And he said "Yeah" - "No more service on Evinrudes" and said they could not make money on parts because they were being made elsewhere and they do not like to rep 'labor only service contracts' for motor manufacturers. I was shocked - he told me there was only one shop left in North County or I would need to take the boat all they way down to San Diego to get motor service.

So it appears the shops already know about this.

I guess the only motor left is the Mercury. Great motor I have heard, but really heavy - I guess it's heavy because the Mercury motors are 4 stroke, right? (Isn't 4 stroke better?) :? Sorry, I do not know very much about motors on boats.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

This really sucks. The trade in value of your Etec just went to zero. Anyone selling a Mac with an Etec will also take a hit. IIRC BRP Corp has never had much of a reputation for service and support. Fortunately my local dealer is still supporting the Etec. We planned to travel(pre Covid) to Lake Powel, Lake of the Woods, etc. this year. Now I question if you could get Etec service if needed. I'm sure a lot of dealers will just hang it up.

The local marina just spent 2.5M on all new docks and and a restaurant. The slips are half full and have been that way for the past 5 years.
:macm:
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I guess the only motor left is the Mercury. Great motor I have heard, but really heavy - I guess it's heavy because the Mercury motors are 4 stroke, right? (Isn't 4 stroke better?) :? Sorry, I do not know very much about motors on boats.
Boat, I went from a four stroke Mercury (carbureted) to a four stroke Yamaha (fuel injected) back in 2013. I am very happy with my Yamaha, and it appears from boating channels on You Tube that Yamahas are all over the world and used by a bunch of folks. I think you would be safe with the reliability, service, and resale of Yamaha engines. I suspect that owners of Suzuki, Tohatsu, Nissan, and other common brands would feel the same way.
windypatrick
Engineer

Post by windypatrick »

Wow! Perhaps I dodged a bullet there. I was set on getting an E-Tec next year in lieu of a Honda. Bummer.

Regards,

P

:macx:
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Merc & yam r pretty much the same eng. & use same parts on some models , the newest 4 strokes r much lighter due too smaller engine blocks which usually means less torque , but who knows they may have beat that issue with newer electronic sensors & computer programming

My 2007 Merc 75hp 4 stroke has yamaha cylinder heads on it I believe I read that somewhere !, I believe the newer 75 mecs & Yam,s 4 strokes r about 75# lighter

J 8)
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Bumped to the performance and tuning forum for visibility there with all the repower discussions going on

I’m not in the market but it seems like there are some new options including an EFI 9.9 HP from Nissan and Mercury in 25binch shaft
adudinsk
First Officer

Re: Repowering Options June 2020 Evinrude leaves outboard business, confirmed

Post by adudinsk »

From what I have been told.. 75hp and 90hp Mercs (2000-2005) 4 cyl 4 stroke carbed were Yamaha OBs/
THey share MANY MANY parts... at very least

AD
miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle »

NNNOOOOOOOO!

Just my luck I just repowered with an E-tec last year. I love the way it has performed so far. Just as I loved the Evinrude I had on my boat since the mid 90's. What is this world coming to???

What will they put on the new :tat22: if they ever build it? They were going to use E-tec. :cry:
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Highlander: Just wondering, what is your fuel consumption. I have a Carb'ed 75 merc (4 stroke/4 cyl) Any idea what the best RPM (sweetspot would be.. and what I will burn?)
Still have not done much cruising yet.. Hoping to go out all day this weekend, and planning on my gas needs.

Thanks
AD