Motor tune up after over 1,300 hours of use

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Motor tune up after over 1,300 hours of use

Post by ris »

We had our Honda 60 checked out by the book at 650 hours. It cost $890 in 2018. We just took it in again with a slightly longer list which includes changing the timing belt and giving the valves an adjustment. Hopefully it will not reach the estimate of $1600. When the shop called to get my ok I said we were hoping for a bill around $1200. Also asked that they save the old parts for us to look at such as the 2 internal anodes. Also asked for the total number of hours on the motor. We estimate about 1,300 hours. We know we have traveled over 12,000 miles according to our GPS. Highway mileage not included. But 21 cent a mile for motor work is not bad.(not including oil changes, fuel filters, and lower unit oil) In case you did not know we have never sailed our Mac. Health, disabilities, were we travel and distance are the reasons for not sailing.

Richard
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Motor tune up after over 1,300 hours of use

Post by NiceAft »

Rich,

Let us know what you find out. I don’t know anyone who has put as many miles on their outboard as you and Jill. Possibly Mike and Sandy.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

That is an incredible amount of miles. Very interesting that you have motored all of them. WOW!.

I agree, that's not a bad per mile cost for maintenance. Just shows you how reliable that motor is.
--Russ
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

congrats! I'm with 850h now... ist somw way to go so far...
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris »

I posted this on the MacGregor discussion and saw I had never posted here. So here is the info. They had my boat about 3 weeks. I know that they waited on the timing belt for 2 weeks. Their original estimate for all the work was $1600 max. The total at pick up was $1170. Just $280 more than the bill for the first major check at 860 hours. Then my wife asked do you give discounts for vets and they knocked off $100. So bill was only $1070!! Took her out to lunch. 8)
Some Info off motor computer
Total hours 1745
idle 96 hrs (going through locks and stuff: we have been through about 350 locks)
WOT 2 hrs (most likely while testing props Never run boat over 3/4 throttle)
Trolling time 28 hrs (must be at 4 to 8 mph just a guess)
Remaining hours 1619 hrs (7 to 12 mph)

So total for two 300 hour services + extras $1960.00
Total hours 1745
Cost per hour $1.12 for servicing (not included oil+filters, fuel filters, fuel, gear oil changes, plugs ext)
Gps mileage 11,950 miles, service cost $1960 so it is .16 cent a mile not too bad
Average speed 6.8 mph
Internal anodes were about 45% gone. Timing belt looks like it is well used but still plenty of life. Glad they changed thermostat it looks rough. They lost the water pump impellor but the mechanic said it looked ok but they did change it.
We will take her out next week for a couple of hours just to test her out. We always go above what you have to do as we do longer trips and do not want to break down where you do not know the people who will work on the engine.
Richard