Standing/Running Rigging

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
philipvpiercey
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Standing/Running Rigging

Post by philipvpiercey »

Hi Everyone.
I am looking for a comprehensive inventory of all parts of the standing and running rigging for a stock Macgregor 26M.

So, something like this (as an example):
Main Halyard
Jib Halyard
Main Block
Fore Stay
Fore Stay Turnbuckle
etc, etc.

For background, my old man and I picked up a used 26M from an old-timer in our little hometown (more of a thorp or hamlet, really). Because of travel restrictions to the island of Newfoundland, Dad is going to tow the boat up here to the mainland for me (the mountain coming to Mohammed, so to speak). Here's the catch: Dad has never sailed before and I can't reasonably expect him to rig the boat and make sure we've got all the hardware before he begins his trip up (more than 3000km). I need to give him a comprehensive list so that he can root through the old-timer's stage and ensure that we've got everything we need. The previous owner also can't be of any help, since he had a stroke (the reason he sold the boat) and is very incapacitated. And to top it all off, there's almost no chance of finding any of the hardware where I currently live, since it's a small Cree village in Northern Quebec (but it is on the largest natural lake in Quebec, so it should be good sailing).

So, is there anyone out there that can throw me a line and help me out here? Maybe a document already exists and someone could just point me towards it? Maybe someone would have to write it out, which I own would be a lot of work, but I'll owe you one - maybe take you out fishing for lakers or Northern Pike if you're ever on your way to the North Pole and passing through.

My first post here on the forum, by the way. Happy to be part of the Macgregor crew!
C Buchs
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Standing/Running Rigging

Post by C Buchs »

I have an :macx: so can't give you comprehensive help, but I can point you to the manual in the resources section of this site. https://macgregorsailors.com/resources.html It's a good place to start.

Would it be possible for your dad to put the mast up before he leaves? If you have all the mast-raising system parts, it's possible for one person to do it. It would be a good way to make sure you have everything. However, I wouldn't recommend raising the mast for the first time by yourself. With some studying, it could be done, but I'd want some help just in case.

Jeff
philipvpiercey

Post by philipvpiercey »

Hey Jeff,
thanks. I'll check out that resource page. It's likely that my old man could find some help to stand up the mast, but no one that would have any experience doing so - just another set of hands. Do you think that would be enough, or did you mean to suggest he should look for someone with a bit of prior knowledge?

We come from a tiny, tiny fishing village (population: 50ish) and, although everyone that lives there have spent most of their lives on the water, no one has any sailing experience; it's all dorys and long-liners. The previous owner worked his whole life in the oil-fields of Alberta, and then he retired back home and bought his boat, which was always his dream. A couple of years later, sad to say, he had his stroke. He was the only guy to ever hoist a sail in at least 60 years.

Anyways, that's a long-winded way of saying "thanks for the help!".

Take care.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Philipvpiercey,

I have an M and will be glad to help you.

Standing rigging:
2 shrouds each side (port and starboard)
1 forestay (may have a Furler on it).

Jib halyard
Main halyard
Jib sheet
Main sheet
Furling line (if so equipped)

Spinnaker halyard (if so equipped)

Look for a mast raising system (pole with a trailer winch attached)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Shroud connection hardware.

Mast raising system is approximately 5 ft pole with trailer winch- shown diagonal below mast:

Also, you should have a boom somewhere. It will look like the aluminum piece that is ratchet-strapped to the stanchions.

I'll give you pictures of any areas you want. It will probably be more efficient than a list of parts with names you don't recognize.

Also, if you can post pics of your boat it may help us identfy missing components.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Main sheet.
Traveler
Boom Vang (if so equipped)

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Genoa block (1 each side at cockpit) or jib blocks forward.

Steering quick disconnect link (option)

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

philipvpiercey wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 am Hi Everyone.
I am looking for a comprehensive inventory of all parts of the standing and running rigging for a stock Macgregor 26M.

So, something like this (as an example):
Main Halyard
Jib Halyard
Main Block
Fore Stay
Fore Stay Turnbuckle
etc, etc.

For background, my old man and I picked up a used 26M from an old-timer in our little hometown (more of a thorp or hamlet, really). Because of travel restrictions to the island of Newfoundland, Dad is going to tow the boat up here to the mainland for me (the mountain coming to Mohammed, so to speak). Here's the catch: Dad has never sailed before and I can't reasonably expect him to rig the boat and make sure we've got all the hardware before he begins his trip up (more than 3000km). I need to give him a comprehensive list so that he can root through the old-timer's stage and ensure that we've got everything we need. The previous owner also can't be of any help, since he had a stroke (the reason he sold the boat) and is very incapacitated. And to top it all off, there's almost no chance of finding any of the hardware where I currently live, since it's a small Cree village in Northern Quebec (but it is on the largest natural lake in Quebec, so it should be good sailing).

So, is there anyone out there that can throw me a line and help me out here? Maybe a document already exists and someone could just point me towards it? Maybe someone would have to write it out, which I own would be a lot of work, but I'll owe you one - maybe take you out fishing for lakers or Northern Pike if you're ever on your way to the North Pole and passing through.

My first post here on the forum, by the way. Happy to be part of the Macgregor crew!
Welcome to the forum!

Let me know what else you need.

The mast raising system is an option, but look around to see if you find one.

People do raise the mast by hand, but I'm not one of them. If it gets away from you, it can do a lot of damage and cause injury. I would suggest you buy or build a mast raising rig before you start working on your rigging.

Jim
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
philipvpiercey

Post by philipvpiercey »

Jim,

wow! That's such a help. I'll try to get in touch with my Old Man and I'll let you know if we get stuck on anything.

Thanks! Take care.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

A few YouTube videos on rigging an :macm:

Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

philipvpiercey wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 am Jim,

wow! That's such a help. I'll try to get in touch with my Old Man and I'll let you know if we get stuck on anything.

Thanks! Take care.
You can send me a PM if I don't get right back. Sometimes I miss things...

The boat is downstairs, so it's no trouble for me to take a picture of anything you need. That is, unless you want pictures of the rig up. That will have to wait till I'm sailing.

Let us know if you can't find the manual. You really need to have that resource.

Also, add the Year of your boat and your location to your profile (motor and hp too). It makes correspondence more streamlined. There are differences in the early and late 26M boats, so it will help to know which one you have.

This is the 2003-2006 manual. https://macgregorsailors.com/resources/ ... l_2003.pdf

I didn't get the link to work to the 2007-later manual, but I can send you a copy if you need it.

It actually covers most of what you're asking about. I'll be glad to help you fill any gaps.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo