Nissan 5hp water pump issue

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Nissan 5hp water pump issue

Post by Be Free »

Ouch! Looks like he hit something. I really like the way my keel just gets out of the way when the water is too shallow.

That's about what I would expect that tube to look like at its age. The one on my BF40A had seen enough salt water over the years that the end of the tube was gone and the nut almost rusted off. It was next on the list to be replaced when I repowered. I was not looking forward to changing it.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

Be Free wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 am Ouch! Looks like he hit something. I really like the way my keel just gets out of the way when the water is too shallow.

That's about what I would expect that tube to look like at its age. The one on my BF40A had seen enough salt water over the years that the end of the tube was gone and the nut almost rusted off. It was next on the list to be replaced when I repowered. I was not looking forward to changing it.
The C&C ran around a handful of years ago and after sitting on the hard for sale for several years, the boat was eventually given to my friend/old boss for free. He used the boat and did minimal repairs for a couple years and decided to sell it to my other friend for relatively cheap. He's planning on making proper repairs and using it for a season or two then hopefully selling the upgraded boat for a nice profit to move into a bigger project boat.

The pivot tube was actually very easy to replace. I started by using the stern arch and my mainsheet hooked to the mount loop on top of the engine to carry the weight of the motor. I then removed one of the large nylock nuts and drove the old pivot tube out using the new tube.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I'm glad it was easy to replace. Supporting the engine or removing it was what I was dreading most. I'm getting too old to be dead lifting 200+ pounds (or so my wife tells me) :)
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Be Free wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am I'm glad it was easy to replace. Supporting the engine or removing it was what I was dreading most. I'm getting too old to be dead lifting 200+ pounds (or so my wife tells me) :)
My wife doesn’t have to tell me - I blew out my right eye just the other day, lifting a long counter top myself. Didn’t even know it until the following morning when my son asked me why my eye was all bloody. Called the eye doc and got in to see him almost immediately. Just a broken blood vessel, but alarming to see half the eye ball bright red. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

Be Free wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am I'm glad it was easy to replace. Supporting the engine or removing it was what I was dreading most. I'm getting too old to be dead lifting 200+ pounds (or so my wife tells me) :)
I'm old/smart enough to *sometimes* find the easy way to get things done but still capable and stubborn enough to try things that'll get me hurt. A few weeks ago, I fell about 9' off the top of my work van while (unsuccessfully) installing my glass rack. I landed on my left hip, shin, elbow and shoulder. My hip came down on the tip of the aluminum rack while my shin, elbow, and shoulder hit the concrete and gravel driveway. I went to get x-rays and didn't break any bones but that fall hurt worse than when I last crashed my motorcycle in 2005! My hip was badly bruised, my elbow was grossly swollen, and my shin had a bump that looked that half a racquetball was under my skin. I'm back to almost 100% but recent experience tells me I'll be feeling some negative effects for months.

The beefy stern arch on my boat made for a great lifting spot and the mainsheet was sitting 8 feet away. I feel like the engine lift wasn't totally necessary with the way I used the new tube to drive the old one out but I for sure wouldn't want to be wrong about that and end up needing a new engine.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named