Sailboat stuck on sandbar

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Sailboat stuck on sandbar

Post by dlandersson »

Kinda interesting ...

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Sailboat stuck on sandbar

Post by NiceAft »

Two things.
(A) thanks for posting. Now I might be having nightmares.
(2) was “sadbar” intentional? :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Perhaps next time the captain of the Lookfar really WILL “lookfar” ...ahead.

Fortunately, Macs can’t get in this situation. Yes, they can get stuck on a sandbar, but they won’t start to fall over into the surf. This boat did so because she was pivoting over on her fixed keel, which a Mac doesn’t have.

As to the title of the tread... yeah... changed.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Kevin,

Sadbar was so much more appropriate. :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

You could break off a board on something like that, so the macs aren’t immune

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Been stuck on a much smaller keelboat. Used bodies to heel the boat sufficiently to reduce the draft to get the boat off. You might be able to do it on a big boat using a halyard to one tow boat and a second tow boat on the bow. In any event bouncing, in surf, on the keel, can have undesirable results.

Now, if you get a wing keel stuck... :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Couple of other options...

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

The wave action probably helped. Also probably hurt.

Want to waste an afternoon watching videos, Haulover Inlet channel will do it.
--Russ
SV_Delphinia
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by SV_Delphinia »

I ran aground my first time out. I should have looked at the charts and observed that most of the seemingly wide harbor was actually ~2ft above a giant mudflat....Boy was I glad to have a swing-keel! After pushing it ~20ft we realized we were about 100 yards into the mudflat...Luckily it was low tide so we had lunch, waited an hour for the tide to rise, and sailed off in style and grace (not so much style or grace really).
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

My thought also 8)
Ixneigh wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 pm You could break off a board on something like that, so the macs aren’t immune

Ix
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:D :D :D
Russ wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 am Want to waste an afternoon watching videos, Haulover Inlet channel will do it.
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

After crewing for my dad on Wednesday evening races, I decided to give it a try as skipper. I made a good start and headed for the opening in the breakwater at Corpus Christi harbor. I thought it would be clever to cut between the marker and the rocks before heading into the bay, but I was wrong and ran hard aground, fortunately on a sandbar. All I could do was drop the sails and wait for the fleet to pass me by before jumping into the water and physically pushing the Columbia 22 off the sandbar while my crew hung on the lee rigging. Both humiliating and instructive.

I found that even with a swing centerboard, one could screw up. Last year on Lake Travis I tried to back out after catching my centerboard on the rocks and broke the centerboard cable before realizing the only way out was forward.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Stick said:
I thought it would be clever to cut between the marker and the rocks
You bring up a good point.

When I used to sail on the Delaware River, I would go outside of the channel markers because where I sailed, the river is not very wide. Onetime, I saw what appeared to be a small barrel floating. It’s the Delaware; anything could be floating on that river. Anyway, as a approached, what looked to be a barrel, was actually the top of a large pylon, permanently set in the river years ago, but now visible because of low tide. If not for low tide, I could have struck it. Forget the daggerboard, it would have ripped a catastrophic hole in the hull.

We float in a foot of water (.3m), but what lurks inches (cm) below can ruin a day. I learned my lesson, respect those red and green buoys.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

SV_Delphinia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 am I ran aground my first time out. I should have looked at the charts and observed that most of the seemingly wide harbor was actually ~2ft above a giant mudflat....Boy was I glad to have a swing-keel! After pushing it ~20ft we realized we were about 100 yards into the mudflat...Luckily it was low tide so we had lunch, waited an hour for the tide to rise, and sailed off in style and grace (not so much style or grace really).
For me it was not the first time out. I waited until the first time I had guests on the boat to run up on a sandbar. :(
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

NiceAft wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:48 am Stick said:
I thought it would be clever to cut between the marker and the rocks
You bring up a good point.

When I used to sail on the Delaware River, I would go outside of the channel markers because where I sailed, the river is not very wide. Onetime, I saw what appeared to be a small barrel floating. It’s the Delaware; anything could be floating on that river. Anyway, as a approached, what looked to be a barrel, was actually the top of a large pylon, permanently set in the river years ago, but now visible because of low tide. If not for low tide, I could have struck it. Forget the daggerboard, it would have ripped a catastrophic hole in the hull.

We float in a foot of water (.3m), but what lurks inches (cm) below can ruin a day. I learned my lesson, respect those red and green buoys.
Ran into submerged steel pipes exploring the shallows around Key west. Left a nice gouge I had to fix.
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.