Furler rigging for 26M & bent bracket on mast

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

JeffJuneau
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Furler rigging for 26M & bent bracket on mast

Post by JeffJuneau » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi, I am finally getting ready to rig my 26M after spending a chunk of my summer repairing deck leaks from damaged caused by a de-masting event from a previous owner and other maintenance. I took some pics of how the furler and jib halyard were set up before I took the sails off for winter storage, and wanted to make sure that the PO had it set up correctly before I raise the mast. I also discovered a bent bracket for the forestay, and am seeking advice on what to do about that too. The first image shows how the jib halyard (maybe I am using the wrong term – maybe it is the roller furler halyard) is secured at the base of the furler and the second shows how it is secured at the top of the luff block. This is a 2009 26M and uses the Mac Furler. Question 1: Is jib/furler halyard secured properly? Question 2: Another newbe question: but given that the length of the jib halyard extends from the top of the jib and ends at the furler, it doesn’t look like one would ever lower the jib with this halyard. It seems like it is there to just secure the jib on the luff. Is that correct? A third image is of the bracket on the mast that holds the upper shrouds and forestay. It was slightly bent from the PO’s de-masting event. I didn’t notice this till today. It is stainless steel, and I suppose I could try to bend it back. It didn’t seem to negatively impact sailing last summer when I got this 26M.
Thanks for any insights/advice Jeff

Be Free
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Furler rigging for 26M & bent bracket on mast

Post by Be Free » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:46 am

I can't help with the rigging. I have a hank-on jib but I can give you some help with the terms.

A halyard is any line that is used to lift something. It is a corruption of "haul yard" or perhaps "hail (lift) yard" and described a line that was used to haul/hail (lift) a yard (a spar on which sails are set). If the line in question raises the furler than it would correctly be called a halyard.

The bracket on the top of the mast where the forestay is connected is called a "hound". Actually, all of the stays are connected to hounds. I'm sorry but I don't know the derivation of the term. I do know that if you are at all concerned with it you should replace it. The mast will fall down if the forestay (or anything it is connected to) fails.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks Be Free, That is a helpful lesson in terms.

I dug around on youtube and found what may be the answer to the how the jib, when it has been removed from the furler, is raised back onto a furler that is mounted on the forestay and mast. It was shot several years ago in a building with other Macs. Maybe it was a factory video. Apparently, the operator just ties on an extra line to the end of the jib halyard that is tied to the furler assembly. When the mast is raised and forestay is pinned, they slide the jib up the slot in the luff, remove the added line and retie the jib halyard to the base of the furler. I thought I would need to lay the luff and furler in my yard, and roll the jib onto it before raising the mast (with jib already on the forestay). Do most Mac owners just raise the jib after the mast is up with luff/furler installed on forestay, or just roll the jib onto the luff before the forestay/furler is raised with the mast?

The bend in the hound holding the forestay and upper shrouds to the mast only has a bend of a few degrees in it. But, perhaps I should be worried about whether stainless loses some of its strength from the stress that was caused when the previous owner lost one of his shrouds, and the mast came down. So, I will replace that hound.
Thanks again, Jeff

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:08 am

Jeff,
Sorry about the late reply, but I was hoping someone would respond that had actually raised their jib/Genoa on a Furler.

Anyhow, this is how mine is rigged.

The halyard runs from a hole on the drum, up through the foil groove, over the block at the top of the foil, and to the head of the sail. The tack is secured to the drum.

Your observation is correct. This particular furling setup does not allow a long enough halyard to raise/drop the sail. Since I haven't actually done it, I can only tell you what I would try.

I would secure the lower forestay connection to an anchor point about waist high. I would secure the upper forestay connection about the same height and get the stay reasonably tight (maybe a ratchet strap and two trees). I would manually thread the luff into the foil groove (I would enlist at least one helper to feed the sail as I was pulling it up). Then, I would get the crew to hold the sail out, and I would furl it. Once done, I would connect the upper forestay to the hound, raise the mast, etc.

I would not try to do it on the boat with the mast up.

If you look at some of the higher end Furlers, you'll see a swivel/bearing setup at the top; which allows a conventional halyard. This type would allow you to change sails without dropping the mast.

If our halyard setup wasn't in the foil groove, you could tie a temporary extension line on to allow hoisting and dropping with the mast up. Don't know whether having the halyard flapping around on the foil would be desirable, though.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:15 am

Different angle at top...

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi, I wanted to follow up on my own original question regarding how to reinstall the jib halyard and jib that fits into the Mac factory-made roller furler for a Mac 26M, and the process for winding on the jib when it is not mounted on the mast. Also, I wanted to thank Jimmyt, because he was the only one that provided me with one fix for this problem; that I tried, and it worked. Thanks so much Jimmyt! Suspended between back yard fence posts, I was able to wind up the jib on the furler just as you suggested. In 2008, Macgregor put out a nice 4-pg instruction manual that shows the install process for the factory roller furler, including the de-cored halyard and jib. I could not find those instructions anywhere on this Macgregorsailors.com site. My original copy that came from the PO is moth-eaten and mildewed so badly, it won't copy. The 4-pg doc is dated September 12, 2008, and called INSTRUCTIONS- ROLLER FURLING SYSTEM -MACGREGOR 26. It shows, that with the halyard retaining clip removed, and a the partially de-cored halyard that comes with the boat, the halyard will slide through the groove of the foil to raise the sail, with the forestay pinned. The halyard is guided through the groove with a “temporary halyard tail”. Anyway, if someone has a pristine version or pdf of those instructions, I would think it would benefit the hundreds of people that must have this exact roller furler system their 26M. :)

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Glad you got it sorted Jeff! That's interesting that the original instructions call for a de-cored halyard. As you can see from the pic, mine didn't come that way. Maybe they changed strategies in the later models.

Keep the updates coming. Sounds like your making good headway!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Here is a very beat up 1st page of the factory furler instructions from the 2008 MacGregor 4-page instruction sheet I mentioned. The other pages of my copy are even in worse shape. You may be able see the section on the de-cored jib halyard. Someone out there in this group undoubtedly has a clean copy. :)

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:41 am

That makes sense. Only the end of the halyard is de-cored so it can be led out of the slot and tied to a temporary extension.

I'll have to look at mine closely to see if it was done that way.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am

Yep. Just the last 6-8 inches is de-cored. There is still enough cored line to make a good tie-off at the spool.

Sorry about the poor shots. Can't get a good ladder position at that spot and didn't want to fall. :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

LordElsinore
Deckhand

Post by LordElsinore » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 pm

JeffJuneau wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 pm
Here is a very beat up 1st page of the factory furler instructions from the 2008 MacGregor 4-page instruction sheet I mentioned. The other pages of my copy are even in worse shape. You may be able see the section on the de-cored jib halyard. Someone out there in this group undoubtedly has a clean copy. :)
I believe I have an intact version of these instructions in my boat. I'll try and snag them tomorrow, create a PDF and upload

LordElsinore
Deckhand

Post by LordElsinore » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:26 pm

LordElsinore wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 pm
JeffJuneau wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 pm
I believe I have an intact version of these instructions in my boat. I'll try and snag them tomorrow, create a PDF and upload
Here is a scan of the Mac Furler instructions:

LordElsinore
Deckhand

Post by LordElsinore » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:27 pm

hmm...that only seemed to show the first page, although the PDF contains 4. What's the best way for me to post a PDF?

JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks LordE for finding that 26M furler information sheet. I am the one that previously asked if someone could post a good copy of it to the Mac archives. I see that your's is in far better condition than the moth-eaten stained and moldy one that I have. Hopefully someone here will provide the help you requested to upload it to the Mac archives.......please.