Winter fuel additive?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Winter fuel additive?

Post by dlandersson »

Anyone suggest a good wnter fuel (87 octane gas) additive? 8)
chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Re: Winter fuel additive?

Post by chipveres »

Well, I like Sea Foam if I am running the engine or Sta-Bil for storage. But us Florida folks don't really know anything about winter.
Chip V.
S/V Sand Dollar
Shawnmcgr

Post by Shawnmcgr »

I 2nd sea foam I used in all my small motors, snowmobiles, weed Wacker, and my nissan 40 hp 2 stroke in our macgregor. I use it to stabilize over winter and periodically dump a bit in the tank to clean the fuel system.

Great stuff!
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Yeah, I've used Sea Foam in the past and it says "Fuel stabilizer" on the can so I'll stick with it. Thx. 8)
Shawnmcgr wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 pm I 2nd sea foam I used in all my small motors, snowmobiles, weed Wacker, and my nissan 40 hp 2 stroke in our macgregor. I use it to stabilize over winter and periodically dump a bit in the tank to clean the fuel system.

Great stuff!
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

My understanding is alcohol in the gas is a problem when storing over time.

I've come to use pure gas exclusively. Most gas stations here that use 91 octane are pure gas.

I also try to run all the gas out of line and siphon as much gas out of the tanks as possible. I hope I'm doing right.
--Russ
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I fill the two 6-gallon boat tanks with ethanol-free gas with Stabil, and store them for emergency generator use. I also keep the generator's 5-gallon tank full, and my two 5-gallon metal 'safety cans', all with Stabil. An ice storm can really ruin your day without heat and hot water. And Netflix and Prime, though I also have an antenna in the attic as a backup. But I digress.

I run the engine out of gas, then drain the three float bowls. They have drain valves and even a couple of hoses tucked inside, just for that purpose. There isn't much else you can do as far as gas goes.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

I love Seafoam for a "spring cleaner" in my outboards, lawnmower, and generators. But, since it has Isopropyl Alcohol in it I don't use it for storage. I use Startron with good results for that. Stabil also will work great. Here's a link on fuel additives, and they state it's best to use ones without any kind of alcohol in them ......

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_addi ... _list.html
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have used Sta-Bil for a long time.

The fellow who has been winterizing Nice Aft for years tells me he uses this.

He says it’s better.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Ray do u feel flushed after drinkin it ! :P :?

J 8)