Which Outboard???

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Eureka

Which Outboard???

Post by Eureka » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi this is my first post. So be gentle. I am buying a new 26m & have read countless articles & posts as to which outboard will suit my needs. The dealer only sells Suzuki, but i'm leaning towards an E-tec 60 or 90hp. I will be sailing in Sydney harbour & the Pacific.
Very excited about joining the Mac community, & getting out on the water.

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi and welcome

All depends on what you want to do with your Mac.

Personally, I would get the biggest thing I could get away with.

I like the Merc 115 4 stroke EFI with the big 1732cc head found HERE

G

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Eureka,
I am looking at getting a new :macm: in the new year and have been facing the same question. I am in Brisbane so will be doing a similar type of sailing or should I say motoring, just in a better location :) . Nice motor out wide Caloundra and a nice day sail trolling for palegics. Then a sail back to the islands for an overnighter before a casual sail home the next day. What could be better.

I have decided on the 90HP e-tec becuase the wife likes to pack everything you might ever need for an overnighter to the islands so weight is going to be an issue and I figure I will need the extra horses to get out of the hole and on plane. Even if the motor is about 36kg heavier.

There was some talk a few years ago about e-tecs being unreliable as the new technology went thru the teething process, this does not seem to be the case now. But there are still some unhappy people out there with e-tecs just search the ausfish forums.

A bit like the sailing forums when it comes to macgregors so a controversial motor for a controversial boat a perfect pairig in my book.

Also the 90 comes in white and looks way better on the back of the mac than a dark dark blue almost black 60 IMHO :P

PK

bscott
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:45 pm

I have an 08 E-tec 60, salt water, white. Get a demo ride before you spend the big engine bucks. You'll be suprised how much torque the 60HP, 240#, 78.6 dba engine puts out.

If you do alot of long distance towing on our deteriorating interstates, the Mac trailer does not support the stern at all which places alot of stress on the boat and trailer--you'll probably spend another $1,000-$1,500 to upgrade the trailer to tandems and extend the frame. The new aluminium trailer is better but still needs help.

Bob

David Mellon
Captain

Post by David Mellon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:58 am

I have posted a lot on this subject, perhaps too many times! I love my ETEC 60. I use my Mac on the Pacific and find that The Yam and I take a pretty good beating at full throttle, I can maintain 20 MPH if the water is silky but in rough water I have to back off. I doubt I would wind up a 90 all that often. If I were in protected waters I am sure I would love a 90. One reason I chose the ETEC was maintenance, first checkup is at three years and the cost is minimal compared to the 4-strokes I looked into. Another is it's large generator compared to a few other choices. I was worried about smoking but I use the special oil they recommend and I have never noticed any smoke. I use about a gallon of oil a year. Whatever you choose, you will love you Mac!

Phillip
First Officer

Post by Phillip » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:08 am

I would suggest, as I have done many time before, you obtain the DVD on the e-tec.
Evinrude made some major changes to the way 2 stroke motors work.....probably compairable to the change from a solid rubber tyre to a pheumatic tyre. Once the patents they have in place expire, you will probably find all outboard type motors will follow their patern.
They are not ahead of the field, they are in a totally different field.
So i would refer you back to my 1st sentence, and you make your decision then.
Kadet.
there is a dealer in your area that sells many different outboards in quite large numbers.
Find and talk to him. He tells me he takes forward orders, and when he attends the evinrude dealers conference and the specials are offered, he brings out his list and negotiates prices with them, and those discounts to some degree are passed on to the pre-purchasers.
he also made a casual comment that the only people that don't buy evinrude e-tecs off him are those that can't afford them....better not pass that on tho. Mums the word.
Cheers
Phillip

James V
Admiral

Post by James V » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:56 am

It seams that most of the problems with ANY motor is caused by the operator. Make sure that you put in gas stablizer about 30 min's before dock and flush amd change the oil often.

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:59 am

Phillip would that be the one with river in the name down by a creek with a pub that has great steak?
8)
PK

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks guys. Its obvious that i have asked a Very open ended question. I really appreciate everyones replies. Thanks to the bloke from Bris Vegas. I would love to sail my Mac around Stradbroke Island someday. cant wait to get my Mac. Cheers

Terry
Admiral

Post by Terry » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:52 pm

Eureka:
Your location reads NYC is that New York City? The only Sidney on the Pacific I know of is just north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. At any rate if your sailing grounds are the PNW be forewarned wind conditions vary from one extreme to the other, small craft warnings are a regular occurrence and ditto for dead calms. I find it very frustrating trying to sail in anything under under 10mph, I usually motor sail at that point or just motor. When on extended trips we are usually destination travelling which puts time constraints on travel, we like to arrive no later than late afternoon. Under this condition we tend to motor only at about 3500-4000 rpm (50hp Honda). We have run into several occasions where we decided to check into a marina that day but some do not take same day reservations phoned ahead, they take first come first served by VHF which means you are competing with power boats for a slip. Man, I wish I had 90hp for those days. There will invariably be days when all you want to do is just get there - now, nothing more frustrating than lack of hp on those occasions. In hindsight I would settle for nothing less than a 60hp etec and budget permitting a 90hp etec thus providing the full spectrum of dual use. The 50hp honda just does not quite do it for me, but for now it is all I have.

davidbagnall
Engineer

Post by davidbagnall » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Kadet... You mean Breakfast Creek Hotel?

Now that's a great steak :)

Slightly different question but what is everyone's thoughts on how they flush their motor....

We have pretty strong water restrictions in Brisbane. From what I have read we are allowed to flush brakes and outboards (windscreens and number plate etc only with bucket) and we are soon going to level 6 water restrictions.

I saw yesterday at BIAS a product called MACS anticorrosion additive which sounds like a good idea. Does anyone use such a product?

Cheers

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Yep that would be the Breaky Creek. 8)

I am putting in a 1000L rain water tank for washing boat, car, trailer etc.. with a gurney. My folks are at Redcliffe and have a natural spring in their back yard with a bore for their pool. So I can always top up with bore water if the summer storms don't come.

E-tec is a good choice for drought, apparently they don't need to be flushed. Been doing some more research but I cannot find an Etec-60 in saltwater white trim only the 90 :?:

Quote "boatinglife article" I am too green to post URL yet

"Favorite Features: * A special bypass valve keeps sediment and salt from plugging the thermostat and cooling channels, and that means you'll never need to flush your engine after saltwater use. *"

PK

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 am

I think I would flush it regardless.. :|

bscott
Admiral
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 pm

kadet----Evenrude now has the 60HP in saltwater white. I just installed one on my :macx:

Bob

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 4x Trlr.

Post by Gazmn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:26 pm

I know this conversation has rested but I just had to post my vote,
My baby.

Pick any motor you like, so long as it's an Etec -- and it's in white :wink:

Moderators: Can someone make this link work :|

Tanx,

-Gaz

Tada - modified-Thx 2x beene :)
Last edited by Gazmn on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.