Black plug near transom. what's it for?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, Hamin' X, NiceAft, beene, Catigale

BlueSky Sailor
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Black plug near transom. what's it for?

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:24 am

It's winter here so I have more questions than inspection will allow at the moment. Boat is pretty well covered up.
On the port side of the transom area, immediately across from the engine powerhead on the vertical surface, there is a black plug with cover.
It looks like a normal 3 prong 120v plug in. I've looked around in the rear berth area and tried to locate where it goes. It appears to come down into the bilge area and come forward towards the battery area.
There doesn't seem to be any kind of 120v outlet anywhere on the boat that's visible. At the moment the front berth area and port side seat area is buried in cushions, boom, main sail, genoa, mast jack, etc. Its pretty busy right now so I can't really get a full picture of what's going on.
I'm not familiar as yet with shore power outlets but it doesn't look like those that I've seen in pictures. Seems they are normally yellow and have a lock twist connection?
I'm just curious what this outlet does, what it connects to and its basic purpose. Obviously, it's meant to power something?
I was wondering if maybe a post owner had some kind of battery tender that then hooked to the battery system for charging at home? Kind of a mystery that will sort itself out come spring. I'm just always trying to get the upper hand on these matters.

Larry

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Black plug near transom. what's it for?

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Sounds like a NEMA 5-15 power inlet (125V, 15A). Probably wired to a battery charger or maintainer somewhere under all that stuff. Not what you'd normally see in a marine environment, though.

BlueSky Sailor

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks Tom.

When the winter weather gives up in a couple months, I'm going to dig into this thing and probably wire it for shore power and then add a small Yamaha portable inverter generator I could take on extended outings if that were to happen?
At the very least it would be nice to be able to have 110 power if a guy has a guest mooring for just a night or two.
Most of my use for the next two years,(till retirement) will just be local lake excursions. Most of the time it will be moored at my dock on a small Montana lake. Not very big for sailing but it will let me learn how to turn quickly and set a new course :)

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:53 am

Probably looks like this.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

BlueSky Sailor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am
Most of the time it will be moored at my dock on a small Montana lake. Not very big for sailing but it will let me learn how to turn quickly and set a new course :)
Which Montana Lake?

We keep our Mac at Canyon Ferry Lake which isn't small.