Glidecoat Boat Wax Replacement Marine Shine & Shield?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Glidecoat Boat Wax Replacement Marine Shine & Shield?

Post by dlandersson »

I've been using 3M Marine Wax & Restorer but I'm open to other products.

Anyone with any opinions re?
Glidecoat Boat Wax Replacement Marine Shine & Shield

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Glidecoat Boat Wax Replacement Marine Shine & Shield?

Post by 1st Sail »

Long story for me. I have run the gamut of marine wax with the exception of Colinite. Suffice to say I have preceded all seasonal waxing with a regimen of progressive compounding grits via a random orbital polisher. Bottom line all the waxes failed on the black stripes within a few weeks and progressed back to the oxidized state prior to polishing.

I switched to New Glass a few years ago. Compared to wax and buff the NG was considerably more effective. The prep is the same as for waxing. After application of the initial 4-6 wipe on coats of NG upkeep is minimal compared to waxing. After 4-8 weeks the key was to clean and power buff with 000 (ultra fine grit) 3m buffing compound. This is a light finishing compound which essentially works as a cleaner and surface restorer of the NG finish. Then I wipe on 1-3 coats to restore the gloss finish. Every 2 years I uses the NG leaner and clean, buff and reapply. Overall it was less time and effort than repeated waxing.
:macm:
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

This sort of post has been hashed out for years.

Many on this forum have an assortment of product they swear by.
I am no different.

I use liquid Turtle Wax. Easy on, easy off. That is not to say there are not better products out there, but it works, it is easy, I’m happy. What else is there.
Ray ~~_/)~~
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Nice aft how long does Turtle Wax hold the shine on the black stripes? Assuming the boat sits in the sun.

Make no mistake I will try anything and everything to maintain a protective shine on the my gelcoat. Not doing so leads to permanent damage. Mac's are not known for their heavy gelcoat. With limited time I would rather be sailing than polishing. I am attempting to reduce the constant polishing which removes / thins the gelcoat over time.

So here I go again. I am going to take another shot at preserving and protecting the gelcoat coat, particularly the black stripes. The pre-application compounding is the same in that you remove the existing oxidation. Like New Glass you cannot use multipurpose compounds which contain wax i.e. wax & polish, also they must be silicone free.

I called GlideCoat yesterday afternoon and had a long and informative conversation with the owner. Essentially Glidecoat is a ceramic coating vs acrylic polymer (New Glass) or wax. Prep time and effort is the same but results last longer according to what I have read to date. Like New Glass these materials are more expensive and are VERY prep-sensitive. Glidecoat is formulated for marine application on gelcoat. Automotive ceramic coatings are not necessarily designed for gelcoat.

The following article parallels the conversation I had.

https://southernboating.com/engine-upke ... ntroversy/

Full detailed report to follow.

I have no affiliation with NewGlass or Glidecoat and purchased all products at prevailing market prices.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:33 pm This sort of post has been hashed out for years.

Many on this forum have an assortment of product they swear by.
I am no different.

EXACTLY! If it works for you, use it.
Although I always enjoy learning what others find effective.

I started using this stuff on my cars because many detailers swear by it. So, I use it on the boat as well and have had good results.

Compounding works well, however, it does require skill and patience. Both of which I lack.
I found this stuff and when used with my buffer has done amazing things. The black stripes that looked all oxidized came back to new.
There was a spot on the blue hull that oxidized. I tried compound with no luck (again poor skills and patience) and this brought it back to new.

Reading these forums, many people gave up on the black stripes and PAINTED them with automotive paint and found that to be a good permanent solution to annual compounding.

--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

1st sail said:
1st Sail wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:39 am Nice aft how long does Turtle Wax hold the shine on the black stripes? Assuming the boat sits in the sun.

Make no mistake I will try anything and everything to maintain a protective shine on the my gelcoat. Not doing so leads to permanent damage. Mac's are not known for their heavy gelcoat. With limited time I would rather be sailing than polishing. I am attempting to reduce the constant polishing which removes / thins the gelcoat over time.

So here I go again. I am going to take another shot at preserving and protecting the gelcoat coat, particularly the black stripes. The pre-application compounding is the same in that you remove the existing oxidation. Like New Glass you cannot use multipurpose compounds which contain wax i.e. wax & polish, also they must be silicone free.

I called GlideCoat yesterday afternoon and had a long and informative conversation with the owner. Essentially Glidecoat is a ceramic coating vs acrylic polymer (New Glass) or wax. Prep time and effort is the same but results last longer according to what I have read to date. Like New Glass these materials are more expensive and are VERY prep-sensitive. Glidecoat is formulated for marine application on gelcoat. Automotive ceramic coatings are not necessarily designed for gelcoat.

The following article parallels the conversation I had.

https://southernboating.com/engine-upke ... ntroversy/

Full detailed report to follow.

I have no affiliation with NewGlass or Glidecoat and purchased all products at prevailing market prices.
Russ replied:
Reading these forums, many people gave up on the black stripes and PAINTED them with automotive paint and found that to be a good permanent solution to annual compounding

Nice Aft is fifteen years old. About six year ago (I’m guessing right now.) or more, I gave up trying to shine up dull raccoon stripes, and used this outdoor paint, Benjamin Moore impervex latex high gloss enamel (black). It worked. I may apply another coat next year. You do need to remove any contaminants on the surface before applying, just as you do before painting any surface. It is not a viscous paint, so liberally apply Frog Tape around all edges.
Ray ~~_/)~~
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I really like Impervo. The best waterborne enamel I have ever used. I did the entire interior trim and 18 6 panel doors with the stuff. Shot is all with my HVLP systems. I could shoot 1 door side in 5min. I also brushed all the trim in my daughters house. When done you could barely tell the difference in the surface between what was sprayed and brushed. It is designed to shrink as it dries and cross links which create surface tension that removes the brush marks. Never thought of it as marine finish. Good to know as it would be a very safe alternative to catalyzed finishes. How did you apply brush, roller or spray?
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Brush.

I can’t imagine any other method on such thin areas.
Ray ~~_/)~~
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Years ago (before they were bought out) Por15 made a Carnauba Wax that was over 90%.
I tried it on my car, it was like bee's wax.. you had to scoop out a ball.. soften it with your hands by kneading it.
The you rubbed it all over 100%, like covering the car in crayon.. you did about 3'x3' at a time..and overlapped
After a few minutes to set, you hit it with a buffer.
My word it did a fantastic (although SUPER LABOUR INTENSIVE) job.
The car was beading water for the whole year.

I was hoping to try that, since all marinas are closed, (and have nothing to do) and I have lots of time, but cannot find anything like it.
It was fantastic.. but a royal pain to apply and buff out. (lambs wool buffer only.. none of these "$50" ones would do it..)

Oh. well..

Has anyone tried some of the NanoCoatings that shed water? Are they all ceramic or are there different ones.
Comments/Suggestions/Advice?

AD
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

One thing I learned in the conversations I have had with both NewGlass and Glidecoat is protective applications behave differently on paint than gelcoat. Primarily gelcoat surface from oxidation is significantly more porous than paint. Also the film thickness of gelcoat is significantly thicker than paint. Thus the gelcoat pore size and depth due to UV oxidation is dealt with differently than paint. Chemistry, viscosity, and suspended solids are also formulated differently for paint vs gelcoat. Not always but by some mfgs. Glidecoat stated the depth of oxidation even when the surface has been restored to a gloss finish affects the long term performance of their product. Glidecoat is a two part system which you mix and apply. It uses moisture in the air after applications to cross link and cure.

I plan to start buffing and prep next week. Once applied the boat will sit in the drive and hopefully move to the marina after the spring floods.... I will report back in the following months on the rate of oxidation. There video testimonials look promising. Only time will tell. One thing for sure is proper preparation of the surface prior to application is essential. I could see the difference with Newglass as well.
MacDanMc
Sailboat: Venture 17

Post by MacDanMc »

Have you tried painting the boat with a spray gun? The coating after it is pretty shiny, and the color lasts for a long time. I only recently came up with this idea. I wanted to update the facade of the garage. I started painting with a roller. I was hoping I could do it in a day. After half a day, I realized that I could not manage it. And I remembered that my father and I had bought a spray gun when we painted his boat. I took it out, and after a couple of hours, the garage was painted. We bought it based on a review here. There are many options there. You can click here and choose the one that will be preferable to you. Then tell me how long the color lasted saturated on your boat.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I have a CapSpray with 2 stage turbine, 3 tip sizes, and a pressure regulated feed to the all my tanks, 1qt, 2 qt, 5 gal. running a combination of 2-5lbs tank positive pressure with appropriate tip depending on viscosity I can spray anything from house paint to waterborne gloss finishes. Sure beats a brush and/or roller for time and finish. Both of which I still use if and when necessary.