help with center board removal

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

paul I
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

help with center board removal

Post by paul I » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:24 am

I am planning to paint the bottom of my 2000 26x. I want to paint the center board and trunk as well. Me questions are:

1. Can the centerboard be removed while the boat is on the trailer?
2. Can anyone point me to a how to? (i did a search and came up empty).
3. Anything else I should consider doing while the board is out?

Keel_Hauled
Chief Steward

Re: help with center board removal

Post by Keel_Hauled » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:56 am

paul I wrote:I am planning to paint the bottom of my 2000 26x. I want to paint the center board and trunk as well. Me questions are:

1. Yuppers; easily removed while on the trailer
2. I can't point you to a how to, but here's what I did:
a) Place your cockpit cushions (the port and s/b seating) on top of each other on the ground underneath the centerboard. Now is a good time to cleat off the
centerboard line !
b) Loosen the nut holding the centerboard hanger in place (remove the forward dinette seat storage cover; you'll see the stainless bolt near the head of the
centerboard trunk)
c) Unscrew the nut until it is flush with the top of the bolt. Place a small piece of 2x4 on top of that and give it a few good whacks with a hammer. It will
begin to fall free. Remove the nut completely and give it a few more whacks. It will fall free and land on the cushions.
d) Uncleat the centerboard line and slowly lower it.
e) Crawl under your boat and slide the centerboard forward out of the trunk and over the trailer bunk. You will either want to cut the line to retie the knot
when you reinstall or simply replace the line (probably a good idea- Tape the new line butt up to the old and pull thru from the top or vice versa)

Hope this helps !

~K

capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 am

paul I,
Just in case you are wondering where that nut and bolt are located. They are under the forward seat in the cabin. It is easiest if you pull out the table first. That gives you more room to work.
Fair Winds,
capncarp,
99 :macx:

2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

paul I wrote: 3. Anything else I should consider doing while the board is out?
You can take some precaution to get the board easy in again:

After having read in the MG-Pages very helpfull hints how to remount the keel-assemly I did the following. I taped a 5mm winding into the top of the original mounting bolt (about 10mm deep) and placed there a M 5 scew of about 8cm length with a quite narrow head (to fit through the mounting hole in the keel-case ). Than I was able to feed the keel-holder all the way up into the mounting hole . After blocking it in this position I went inside the boat, removed the 5 mm screw to put a washer on it and remounted it. Removing the bocking from below the keel holding assembly extends so far that the bolt can be inserted in this position.
The only thing left now is pushing up the keel and blocking it, take off the "assistant screw" , seal the hole and mount the original washer and nut.
rainer

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Ck to see if the head is split, a few have as mine did. You may want to consider a all braided line instead of wire to rope. If you go this route have a line spliced with a 3/8 inch eye. this prevents hangups in the trunk were the wire wore a deep grouve in the trunk due to the fastner and had to be filled and gelcoated. Amsteel line is braid is very strong and holds up well.
Dave
paul I wrote:I am planning to paint the bottom of my 2000 26x. I want to paint the center board and trunk as well. Me questions are: