daggerboard 26m

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Beaverpilot
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: daggerboard 26m

Post by Beaverpilot »

I have a few cracks and blemishes on my dagger board on my :macm: I’ve been looking into rebuilding it or making a new one. I am not new to glass work and mould making. These are my observations upon inspection of my own board.
Here is what I’ve found out....
It is way to expensive to buy a new one and have it shipped to Canada!
It is 69-1/2” long with a 16” chord
It is a symmetrical airfoil
It is hollow
It is built in two sections and glassed together.
It appears to be 3 layers thick.
It is not tapered
There is a spar that runs from about 6” from the top to about 8” to the bottom. It appears to be foam wrapped in fibreglass 2 layers
The bottom has about 1-1/4” of resin poured inside
The leading edge has about 3/4” of resin poured in.
The trailing edge is way too fragile.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: daggerboard 26m

Post by Highlander »

I took my damage D/B to a F/G Shop had them put the 1/2"X 24" hot water plastic pipe slit open & over the top trailing edge glassed in board repaired & strengthened but as the D/B trunk is tapered gets narrower at the base u can only re-enforce so much or it will either not fit or only go half way down ? , cost me about as much as a new board but it is a lot stronger than a new board & also fully epoxied & bottom 2/3rds painted with bottom paint material costs about half the price of a new board pretty much lots of time consuming labour , if u r doing it urself u really need a vented shop or outside where the mess is not going to pi$$ off ur neighbours by covering their cars in dust or even worse if they have any windows open :(
Hope this helps
J 8)