Looking to replace my Genoa. Here are the choices.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Looking to replace my Genoa. Here are the choices.

Post by NiceAft »

I went to the Annapolis in water sailboat show last weekend, and got prices from:
Elvstrom Sails (Alison),
Ullman Sails,
Neilpridesails,
Quantum sails.

Does anyone have experience with any of these companies?

Ray
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Re: Looking to replace my Genoa. Here are the choices.

Post by Hamin' X »

Don't forget to check with Judy B!

~Rich
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have thought about that for awhile Rich, but at the show I had the opportunity to actually see, feel, question what was in front of me.

Ray
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

I can understand that.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Hamin' X wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 pm Don't forget to check with Judy B!

~Rich
For some reasons Judy B. does not sell Sails at the moment. I contacted her for a new mail.
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

Don't forget about Blue Water Yachts. I got my main sail from them and always recommend supporting the Mac dealers first.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

I have done business with BWY . BWY is not only a good company to deal with, Cheryl & Todd are really nice people who have been, and are, assets to the MacGregor community.

That being said, buying over the internet, or via a phone call is no where near as good as seeing, touching, asking questions to the person in front of you. I was at the Annapolis in water sailboat show, and took advantage of the terrific volume of sail lofts from around the country looking to work with sailors. I was able to visit five sail lofts.

Ray
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I bought my full batten square top main and jib from BWY. Also added a Schaefer Snapfurl CF500 furler so i can easily change head sails from the foredeck to optimize for wind conditions.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

I’m glad there are so many of us who are contented customers of BWY, I am one also, but when there is an opportunity to visit face to face with several companies, walking distance from each other, which sell the product that you are interested in, and have that product right there in front of you, it is foolish to not take advantage of such an opportunity. BWY is good, I encourage all to seriously consider them for purchases for your Mac. I will certainly continue to do that, just probably not this time. I’m fairly sure I will be purchasing from Quantum Sails.

Ray
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

You are clearly a better sailor than I am. I'm happy not to be sinking. :P
1st Sail wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 pm to optimize for wind conditions.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Ray when it come,s time to replace my genny I,m thinking of a code zero set up on a furler but cut as a Drifter which is basically a a bigger genny but only 3/4 oz cloth as I can then furl it if needed an unfurl the jib :P

J
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

1st Sail wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 pm Also added a Schaefer Snapfurl CF500 furler so i can easily change head sails from the foredeck to optimize for wind conditions.
Why it is easyer with a snapfurl cd500 to change the sail than with the CDI furler? Is the system different?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

kurz wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:50 pm
1st Sail wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 pm Also added a Schaefer Snapfurl CF500 furler so i can easily change head sails from the foredeck to optimize for wind conditions.
Why it is easyer with a snapfurl cd500 to change the sail than with the CDI furler? Is the system different?
HI Kurz , The CDI furler on the mac is about the cheapest piece of crap for a furling system u can buy , for one when u install ur head sail u have to tighten up the tack, when u r done sailing u have to un-tie the furler halyard at the bow I know a lot of u do not do this to take the tension off the tack otherwise u will stretch the head sail tack & end up reducing the life of that head sail , u also have to tie an extra line onto the CDI halyard so as it has enough line to let u drop the head to switch them out & the CDI foil is a pita because the sail does not slide thru it very easy
I have two Harken MK1V unit 0 on my boat one on the bow for the Jib & one 3ft out on my 4ft Bowsprit now with this set-up I can fly both head sails fully extended at the same time or reef either or both sails as required I can also ease the tack on my headsails on light air days all this can b done from the cockpit , the harken unit also has a twin grove foil so for you who do not have a cutter rig this allows u to change sails on the fly if happen to b racing & if u r going down wind u can fly both head sails off the one foil wing on wing. Installing or removing headsails on my harken unit is about ten times easier & 5 times faster or more lol , as for the snapfurl cf500 I believe it,s plastic foil is a single groove & uses the same method of raising the headsail as the Harken unit by using the Jib halyard , if u r replacing ur Genny & have a Jib also but do not have a spinnaker I,d go with a code 0 on a Code 0 furler installed on a2ft bowsprit like the one BWY sell or make ur own . A code 0 is a racing sail "gennaker" & a regular Gennaker sail is a cruising sail both r cut same as ur Genny only bigger & can b made from 3/4oz - 6oz cloth depending on what wind conditions u sail in or want to use it in , u can fly gennaker & jib together by using ur spinnaker halyard for ur Gennaker , also if the weather gets really bad u can drop the furled gennaker on a code 0 furler by just undoing the spi halyard as the whole thing comes down under ur control from the mast u just coil it up at the mast base leave the bottom 1/3rd furled up on the foredeck until u r docked then bag it , just my thoughts

J
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Highlander wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 am Ray when it come,s time to replace my genny I,m thinking of a code zero set up on a furler but cut as a Drifter which is basically a a bigger genny but only 3/4 oz cloth as I can then furl it if needed an unfurl the jib :P

J
John,

I went to the Annapolis Boat Show in October. After looking around, I purchased from UK Sails (nothing to do with the United Kingdom). UK are the initials of the owners. They came to my home (Nice Aft is in the driveway) and made the measurements they needed. They are holding the sail for me until the spring, and then will deliver. Nice people to do business with.

Ray