Mast Cleats

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Mast Cleats

Post by Interim »

I want another cleat on the mast of my 26s. This is needed for hanging the excessive main halyard that I insist on, and for hanging the jib halyard that is not used (roller furler).

Do I have to use backing nuts? Several feet in from the bottom of the mast, I don't have a good plan for holding them with a wrench while tightening the screw. Can I just drill a hole and drive in a machine screw?

Or, since this is for hanging line rather than cleating a loaded line, would it be better to screw in a hook and call it good?

--john
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Mast Cleats

Post by Starscream »

Personally, I'd just drive in a screw, especially for a non-loaded line. A nice stainless self-tapping one.

Or use rivets?
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

I have 2 cleats that I don't use at all.

I removed the Jib halyard since I have roller furling and it's not used. I can't find a reason to keep it.

Main halyard is run to the cockpit.
--Russ
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

26X mast raising pole requires use of the jib halyard for raising the mast. I've also used it as a temporary mast support by tying and tensioning it to the bow pulpit, while I disconnected the roller furler so I could turn it around, after rigging it with the line opening facing forward instead of aft, although I suppose the main halyard could also do the job.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

I removed the jib halyard, and use the spinnaker halyard for the MRS.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .