Yet Another Galley Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Yet Another Galley Mod

Post by Russ »

Hindsight 8)

Well, you did install a BIG sink also.

What are you planning on using for water storage?
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:39 am Hindsight 8)

Well, you did install a BIG sink also.

What are you planning on using for water storage?
Yep. The sink was both too deep and too long (front to back) for a comfortable faucet install. If I have any trouble/leaks, I'll put an access panel in the back so I can have an easier go of it.

I haven't settled on the size yet, but I'm thinking something like this for water storage. I want to be able to remove it for cleaning and sanitizing. It will be located under the front dinette seat.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

I was looking at these for my mod.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Kirk-Contain ... 06&sr=8-25

In my planned mod, these will fit almost perfectly. I'd make slots for all four, but can take/leave them at home depending on the adventure. Handles make them easier to go forage for water when necessary.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am I was looking at these for my mod.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Kirk-Contain ... 06&sr=8-25

In my planned mod, these will fit almost perfectly. I'd make slots for all four, but can take/leave them at home depending on the adventure. Handles make them easier to go forage for water when necessary.
Those look nice, and extremely convenient for carrying/loading. Where did you plan on storing them aboard?
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Hmm... I haven't published like your great thread. Things are still tentative and the forum gets a little negative when you make changes that can't be unmade. I don't ever plan to sell, so I don't care. To me, the Mac is my personal play toy. :wink:

In a nut-shell, I'm moving the head. This is in construction and I'll be using an AirHead composting toilet that won't fit in the current head location.
I will also be extending the front birth into the head location back to the daggerboard trunk front wall. The Admiral and I don't really like sleeping in the aft birth... especially in the summer. We have one of the rip-stock cloth funnels for the fore-hatch and it makes a very nice breeze over the front birth when on the hook.

The tentative part is where to put the water. I need to get the boat into the water first and see some things about weight and balance. I'm getting the engine worked on and you've noted my cleaning binge. You've also noted on my other thread, I drive it with lots of sail up front. It tends to plow like a FWD car. I may need to put the water under the aft birth. In that case, I obviously won't be using these tanks. However, if I can put them up front, I'll put them in the floor centered on the daggerboard. There is ~16" clearance and I can just get plumbing on top of these tanks and under the mattress.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:26 pm Hmm... I haven't published like your great thread. Things are still tentative and the forum gets a little negative when you make changes that can't be unmade. I don't ever plan to sell, so I don't care. To me, the Mac is my personal play toy. :wink:

In a nut-shell, I'm moving the head. This is in construction and I'll be using an AirHead composting toilet that won't fit in the current head location.
I will also be extending the front birth into the head location back to the daggerboard trunk front wall. The Admiral and I don't really like sleeping in the aft birth... especially in the summer. We have one of the rip-stock cloth funnels for the fore-hatch and it makes a very nice breeze over the front birth when on the hook.

The tentative part is where to put the water. I need to get the boat into the water first and see some things about weight and balance. I'm getting the engine worked on and you've noted my cleaning binge. You've also noted on my other thread, I drive it with lots of sail up front. It tends to plow like a FWD car. I may need to put the water under the aft birth. In that case, I obviously won't be using these tanks. However, if I can put them up front, I'll put them in the floor centered on the daggerboard. There is ~16" clearance and I can just get plumbing on top of these tanks and under the mattress.
I like it! Can't wait to see pics!

Several have extended the v-berth, although not including the head relocation. That should be really nice!

I like your thinking on making the water capacity modular. No use hauling around 20 gallons of water for a half day outing. Not to mention what happens if you leave all of that water sitting in a warm boat for a month... :| But, having a dedicated spot for it when you need big capacity is nice!

Don't let a few naysayers bug you. This is the most polite, friendly, forum I've seen. Most participants will be cheering you on (including me). Anyway, when it's all said and done, it's your boat. You can do whatever you want with it.

I've noticed that written exchanges can be misinterpreted. You can't see the facial expressions or body language, nor hear the vocal inflections that tell you how to interpret what's being said. What might come across as an insult, could actually be humor. Also, BOAT and I have been known to mix it up on occasion just to liven things up a bit. But, I have the utmost respect for him and love watching him work through his mods. Just wished he lived closer. But I'm not moving to the land of tree hugging, avocado eating nutballs. I'd have to buy shoes, put my teeth in, and eat regular twinkles instead of fried... Think I'll just stay in LA (lower Alabama).

So, damn the torpedos and start posting those mod pics. Inquisitors aren't the only ones with inquiring minds. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Well, wound up getting a 5 gallon tank to see how it goes. I've gotten the pump installed and most of the tubing hooked up. Still have to mount the accumulator and storage tank. The accumulator will be mounted like the pump. Oak block glued to the hull and stainless screws mounting to the oak block. I'll sit the tank on a rubber non-skid pad and strap it down, likely using a similar, glued block approach. I've been picking out parts and waiting for ordered parts to show up, so haven't had much progress to post. But, made a bit of headway today, so thought I'd post.

The tank I wanted to use had a large access lid. Unfortunately, it was too tall to go in. This won't be as easy to fill or clean, but it fits. I should be able to still have some room for beer cans and beanie weenies... :)

Getting close to having runnng water. As Lorena once said, "it won't be long now"... :|

Man, I should have rinsed and vacuumed out the bilge. My hands are full of glass shards.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Jimmyt wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:02 pm Getting close to having runnng water. As Lorena once said, "it won't be long now"... :|

Man, I should have rinsed and vacuumed out the bilge. My hands are full of glass shards.
Keep the hits coming.

I painted my bilge. Solves that glass shards problem AND lightens it up. Before I was thinking about adding LEDs to the bilge, now I can see things down there far better.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm I painted my bilge. Solves that glass shards problem AND lightens it up. Before I was thinking about adding LEDs to the bilge, now I can see things down there far better.
Great idea! I should have brought this up earlier...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

I didn't do a lot of research, but I used this. Maybe someone else will chime in with something better. I've had good luck with Valspar products. Its oil based, real thick so you could probably get by with one coat and since its for basement floors / decks, I assumed it would take some abuse. I may do a second purely for cosmetic reasons, but fibers are no longer an issue. PLUS you can tint it like a latex paint. I didn't want the plain old white that everyone else uses. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Base-2 ... 1000381317

EDIT: Forgot - It stinks to high heaven. Don't plan on using it for several days and that's if you have warm temperatures to cure it.
Last edited by Inquisitor on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Well, kind of a good news, bad news day. Filled the tank, fired up the pump, got the lines filled, and ran some water. :) Then, started trying to adjust the pressure switch. Dialed it all the way out, and only dropped the cutoff pressure to 65 psi. It works fine at 65psi, but I don't want to run that much pressure. Checked for leaks and found 3 slow drips. Only used 2 wraps of teflon on the brass fittings, which wasn't enough. Fortunately, no leaks in the galley cabinet.

So, pulled the pump and accumulator (plugging the hoses because some idiot filled the water tank :? ) and re-worked the fittings. Used my father-in-law's recipe of load on the teflon tape, then joint compound over the tape. Hopefully, that will get the drips stopped.

Then, came upstairs and ordered a different pump with a 35 psi switch. Be here Saturday, so can't wrap up until then.

Note to self: don't assume the pressure switch on these small pumps can be adjusted more than 10-15psi. :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

You sure you want a lower pressure pump? You can use this one to pressure wash the dishes and deck both. :P
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 am You sure you want a lower pressure pump? You can use this one to pressure wash the dishes and deck both. :P
Nope. Not sure. Just thinking that with grandkids and non-sailors, the water usage may be a bit less at the lower pressure, in addition to minimizing leak potential.

I won't be throwing the high pressure one away, though. :wink:
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Jimmy, I can see you do everything professionally. Your water supply setup is top notch.

Me on the other hand wing it most of the time. With the water storage, I "borrowed" the idea of using simple water jugs and putting them under the v-berth. I hooked up a supply line to the spigot of the jugs and didn't expect it to work. It works very well. It lets me bring water to the marina from home. Been doing it this way now for years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-5-G ... /203639790
--Russ