Yet Another Galley Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Yet Another Galley Mod

Post by Jimmyt »

Well... the plumbers putty I put on the top side, between the stainless insert and the sink, had squeezed out and thinned out, causing the rubber gasket to relax. After checking the fastener, I found it to be loose. Simply tightening the fastener eliminated the leak. :)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Idiotfool
Engineer

Post by Idiotfool »

Awesome job! Now, you'll have to show the first meal!
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Idiotfool wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm Awesome job! Now, you'll have to show the first meal!
Thanks! Will do.

Ordered an on-demand pump, filter, and some pressure rated FDA tube. Should be here next Wednesday. I'll probably use my stock water cube initially to get a feel for how much tank I need to buy.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Looks like a fantastic project!

I haven't read every word on the thread... mainly just the pictures. :) Your last picture showing the inside... It appears that the inside is bare wood. I did some woodwork in mine years ago and failed to coat every surface with (paint, poly, or varnish). I now regret it. The moist environment mine stays in all the time has left it in an undesirable condition. I plan on renovating and will be gutting much of it... mostly because I just like projects, but some because of the condition. Some of the other boat forums I stalk are adamant that the hidden surfaces get as much as the cosmetic, visible sides... particularly the exposed edges of plywood getting a bunch of coats till it won't absorb anymore.

Just saying... I'd hate for your beautiful project to end-up being a smelly, mold-ridden burden.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Wow! Looks amazing!.

I see you have your trailer on jack stands. Is that recommended? Especially while storing for the season.

--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:22 am Looks like a fantastic project!

I haven't read every word on the thread... mainly just the pictures. :) Your last picture showing the inside... It appears that the inside is bare wood. I did some woodwork in mine years ago and failed to coat every surface with (paint, poly, or varnish). I now regret it. The moist environment mine stays in all the time has left it in an undesirable condition. I plan on renovating and will be gutting much of it... mostly because I just like projects, but some because of the condition. Some of the other boat forums I stalk are adamant that the hidden surfaces get as much as the cosmetic, visible sides... particularly the exposed edges of plywood getting a bunch of coats till it won't absorb anymore.

Just saying... I'd hate for your beautiful project to end-up being a smelly, mold-ridden burden.
Good point. My boat stays in my temperature/humidity controlled garage when not in use, so I don't have many of the issues that a slipped boat has. I may go back and spray the interior after I'm sure that I don't want to do any changes.

If it was a slipped boat, (or I was more sure I'd be satisfied as-is), I would have probably finished the inside before installing it. I had to leave the boat outside (tarp'd) for about 10 months after our house fire. Even the cloth and vinyl started to grow mold/mildew. All of that to say, your concerns are very valid.
Last edited by Jimmyt on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:22 am Wow! Looks amazing!.

I see you have your trailer on jack stands. Is that recommended? Especially while storing for the season.
Thanks Russ!

I keep the back of the trailer and tongue on jack stands; 1) to steady the trailer while working on the boat; 2) to keep the weight off my pneumatic tired trailer tongue jack; and 3) to keep weight of me and others from banging the motor skeg into the concrete floor (store motor in upright position). I don't take the weight off of the main tires (too lazy). :)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have read that taking the weight off of the tires is actually good for them. It seems safer to leave them on, rather than remove wheels from the hubs.

I would like to be on the record as saying I'm extremely jealous of the luxury of having the Mac stored inside in such a terrific facility. 8)
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

NiceAft wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:37 am I have read that taking the weight off of the tires is actually good for them. It seems safer to leave them on, rather than remove wheels from the hubs.

I would like to be on the record as saying I'm extremely jealous of the luxury of having the Mac stored inside in such a terrific facility. 8)
Tires tend to flat spot when stored with weight on them for long periods. Probably better to take the weight off (and safer to leave the wheels on as you point out). I'm too lazy to jack mine up to take the weight off. We have almost full year sailing opportunities, so I don't have long storage periods normally.

One of the benefits of buying the cheapest lot in my neighborhood (none of the builders wanted it), was I got a full basement garage as a minimal add to the foundation expense. Nobody builds basements here due to high rainfall and soil conditions that make waterproofing a bit of a challenge. But, if you're careful, it can be done successfully (30 years - so far,so good).

It's so hot and humid here during a large part of the year, that if you don't have a conditioned shop, it makes car, boat, and woodworking projects pretty tough.

Believe me when I say I'm very thankful to have it. My wife and I spent an hour down there early this morning waiting out tornado warnings as hurricane Delta was going by.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

NiceAft wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:37 am ...
ME TOO! I'd love to have inside project area.

I have to add... Besides flat-spotting the tires, I put mine up on jacks (outside on gravel driveway) so that I get it as level as I can. That way when I do projects inside the boat I can assume and make them level. Would be kind of a b!+(# when the sink is level in one state, the toilet level in another... etc.

Like Einstein said... It's all relative.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:22 pm
I have to add... Besides flat-spotting the tires, I put mine up on jacks (outside on gravel driveway) so that I get it as level as I can. That way when I do projects inside the boat I can assume and make them level. Would be kind of a b!+(# when the sink is level in one state, the toilet level in another... etc.

Like Einstein said... It's all relative.
I hear you. However, once I put it in the water, nothing is plumb or level any more... :)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Tubing, inlet filter, and pump showed up today. Guess I'll have to start thinking again... :x

1.2gpm, 80psi. 12volt, 5amp.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 am Tubing, inlet filter, and pump showed up today. Guess I'll have to start thinking again... :x
1.2gpm, 80psi. 12volt, 5amp.
From your emoji, I gather you're not pleased. I couldn't get your image to see what's wrong.

I used a different pump. 2.0 gpm, but only 30 psi. Is it normal and are you actually planning on running that high of pressure? It sure would give your shower some punch, up until your accumulator tank ran out of storage trying to supply more than the 1.2 gpm.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Inquisitor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am
From your emoji, I gather you're not pleased. I couldn't get your image to see what's wrong.

I used a different pump. 2.0 gpm, but only 30 psi. Is it normal and are you actually planning on running that high of pressure? It sure would give your shower some punch, up until your accumulator tank ran out of storage trying to supply more than the 1.2 gpm.
Nothing wrong in the image. I was just enjoying a little brain-free living for a few days. Re-charged my inflatable PFDs, cleaned up the interior and took a look at the galley table (next phase); but no real planning or thinking deep thoughts.

You mentioned several of the things that must be considered as I start the pressure water install (and there are a few more). Storage size (and location/mounting), pump control, accumulator (or not), system design pressure, faucet connection, pump mounting, and pump electrical (used my last panel circuit already). Probably others that haven't occurred to me yet. :)

I'll probably dial the pump pressure down as far as I can. 80psi is a bit higher than I want to run.

So much for taking it easy...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Note to self: on the next galley build, plumb the faucet before putting a big, stupid sink in the way. :|

Stretched my new 25 ft pressure hose out from the pulpit to the genoa block to try and take some of the coil set out of it. Then, made my first plumbing material list for the potable water install. Normally, plumbing is a two to three trip discipline. :(

The stock faucet connector came with a 1/2" npt (faucet end), and a 3/8" compression connector on the other. Problem was, it came with a 1/4" tube. Pump, filter, and pressure tube are all 3/8". So, made a quick trip to the hardware store for the same connector with a 3/8" hose, a barb connector and some hose clamps. Cut the compression fitting off and spliced the hoses together. So far, so good.

Well, then it got sticky. Think working underdash on an MG midget sticky. I couldn't get in to work it right handed, nor could I get far enough in to get a straight look at it. So, left handed, in a mirror wedged in like sausage in a casing... Managed to get it, but it was not a happy experience. Simply changing the order of assembly would have made all of the difference. If only I hadn't glued the sink in first. :x

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo