Yet Another Galley Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Yet Another Galley Mod

Post by kmclemore »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:36 pm ….if you notice the odd shaped corner trim, that's a kmclemore-inspired crumb scupper. Since OverEasy put it out there, I could feel the pressure to copy it. :D Thanks for the great idea guys!
I suppose I’m forever to be known as “the crumb bum”.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Well, I've been called a lot worse! :D

I think of you more as a very talented guy with great ideas. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... :wink:

But, if you prefer "crumb bum"... :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Got up this morning determined to get the table installed today. Got the Admiral to help ne get it on the boat without scratching it. Wound up raising the table 1/2" for a tad more knee room.

Put down a bead of silicone along the front edge of the plate rack to keep the spilled drinks from seeping under. So the plate rack forms the back of the fiddle (or crumb dike).

Just have to figure out the flatware situation so I don't have to listen to it clanking around, then I can call this done.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Try a loose fitting of sheet felt tacked or glues to the top edges of the respective cubbies for the knives, forks & spoons.

The little bit of loosened of the sheet felt cushions and dampens the rattles….
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

OverEasy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:01 pm Try a loose fitting of sheet felt tacked or glues to the top edges of the respective cubbies for the knives, forks & spoons.

The little bit of loosened of the sheet felt cushions and dampens the rattles….
Thanks.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Very cool modification.
We never use the kitchen table for sleeping.
Would work well for us...

Just wondering.. does ANYONE use the kitchen table to sleep on .. kids to sleep on...
Is it robust enough? Or would it get destroyed for those that have used it??

AD
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I've used it many times as a bed when I have guests overnight. It's not hard to switch between bed and table but I've never figured out any way to get the cushions to work without at least one hanging over the edge significantly.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

adudinsk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 am Very cool modification.

Just wondering.. does ANYONE use the kitchen table to sleep on .. kids to sleep on...

AD
Yes, every year for 10 days a friend comes sailing with me and he prefers to sleep on the table and not under the cockpit.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

kurz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:01 am
adudinsk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 am Very cool modification.

AD
Yes, every year for 10 days a friend comes sailing with me and he prefers to sleep on the table and not under the cockpit.
We've never slept under the cockpit. Too hard to get into and especially out of. I use the vee berth, and the admiral uses the table. One big flat L-shaped surface, with lots of room for the both of us, and she has the added benefit of the compression post for stability. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Well for the past 29 nights I’ve slept on the dinette berth without any issues and I’m sort of a big guy at 6’1” (and too many pounds :wink: :wink: ) without any issues. The original fiberglass dinette top has been plenty strong for our experiences so far. (Over Easy is a 2001 Mac26X).

The Admiral likes the Vee Berth after I made a 12” extension as it’s comfy and snug and I like the dinette as it’s easier to get in/out of (Given my back issues and needing to change positions frequently during the night). This has works out very well for us.

As far as cushions go…. The Original cushions are in VERY good shape given the 20 years of vintage.
The POs did a very good job of taking care of them. (We suspect that the foam thickness has always been on the thin side though. :D :D )

What we do for the dinette is use the shorter of the bow cushion sections and the port side bench cushion (one of these is flipped over vinyl side up) as the first layer and fill in the small flat space remaining with a couple folded towels then put the dinette cushions on as a second layer.

The dinette cushions actually fit very nicely in the sequence from the stern moving forward of 1st the aft bench > then the fwd bench > then the aft back > then the fwd bench with the fabric sides facing up. A twin flat sheet fits nicely tucked in around the edges. This provides my 6’ 1” frame enough cushioning to stretch out fully. It also leaves about 10 “ of clearance at the fwd end for a small clothes duffel.

The Admiral uses the longer of the bow cushions on the port side and the back cushion from the port side bench across the extension piece. (Admiral is tougher than I am (aren’t they all?🙄 :D … really..anyone that carries a bowling ball around nonchalantly for 9 months multiple times is a whole lot tougher than I am hands down) and sort of likes a firmer bed 🛌.)

Set up and take down really isn’t a problem or challenge or time consuming but we’re actually more comfortable leaving the dinette down and using it as almost a real couch 🛋. We use our West Marine folding seats as adjustable back rests and they work nice as pseudo recliners.

We also leave the dinette fwd bench back in place as sort of a divider/hand hold for the Admiral getting in/out of the Vee Berth.

Our Coleman Thermonic cooler chest sits on the vacant port side bench extending the galley work surface (when needed).

NEITHER of us liked using the AFT Berth as it proved to be too awkward getting in/out :o :o and slightly claustrophobic for us :? :? … For us it works much better as a storage area especially with our storage bin system :) :) .

Hope this helps some.
Best Regards,
Over Easy😎😎🐩🐈
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

plate_rack.pdf
Made a quick sketch of the plate rack for anyone who wants to look it over.

It was made to fit the plates and bowls I bought, so check your dishes before you commit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Jimmyt wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:00 pm Made a quick sketch of the plate rack for anyone who wants to look it over.
Thanks for posting! I think I shall indeed give this a try this winter
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Jimmyt said
It was made to fit the plates and bowls I bought, so check your dishes before you commit.

Well that,s a down right Bummer :o
I thought if I was promoting this Mod for U ! I,d also get a free set of dishes along with the templates ! :? Plus free Shipping ?
How much do the dishes cost ! + shipping :x
Let me know so as I can bill u for my promotional time involved :arrow: :idea: + 80% for late delivery :D :D :D
Also U forgot to mention what colours the dishes r avail :| Black & white should b ok

Just Sayin That,s All :P

J :wink: 8)
PS don,t forget u might also have to pay any dutie,s involved ! :!: :D :D :D :D
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I can see being your friend is going to get expensive... :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Jimmyt wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:09 pm I can see being your friend is going to get expensive... :D
That's what friends r for :)
Look at it this way also if u want something for ur boat ur Admiral wont approve of ! just discreetly send me the cash I,ll order it on line pay for it with ur cash then have it shipped directly to U !
When it arrives & the Admiral says who approved this just Say Honey it's a gift from Highlander see look at the receipt he paid for it :D :D :D
J 8)

Now I bet I just opened up a whole new can of "Worms" :P