Pulpit mount nav light for 2000 26X

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Pulpit mount nav light for 2000 26X

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

Hi guys, long time no chat.

Have any of you mounted a series 25 A/S Nav light (with bracket) on the pulpit of an X boat that came with the deck mounted nav light? After some conversations with BWY, I'm hearing that some of the later 26X and the 26M which came with that kind of Nav light had a welded tab on the pulpit which I don't have. So I'm concerned about a couple things, one is that it might spin around without that tab and two when the mast is bolted to the pulpit in trailering position, will it interfere with that sort of Nav light which would be in close proximity?

Tia for any insights,

Dimitri (from Tampa)
Gotro
Chief Steward

Re: Pulpit mount nav light for 2000 26X

Post by Gotro »

Can’t answer precisely on your bracket question but I have a 1995 :macx: and installed a puc shaped lED bow light just under the forward part of the SS railing on the pulpit I made my own bracket with aluminum and fastened with rivits , hardest part was fishing the new wiring through the stainless steel tubing and back to my battery which is located port side stern seat behind galley area. It can be done!
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Running the wire through the tube sounds difficult particularly if there is no hole there where the pulpit is mounted, then the whole thing has to come off I presume. I think this may be the bracket on a different boat, just not sure if it will work in the mast down position on the 26x.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:55 pmI think this may be the bracket on a different boat, just not sure if it will work in the mast down position on the 26x.

Actually, it might. The foot plate pins to two tangs that angle down and back, and the mast is nowhere near the pulpit. The roller furler is laying on the rail in this photo, but since I disconnect it and move it back for tarping, it's normally even further back than what's shown. It could just as easily be moved to the side a little more, instead. But the mast foot plate has plenty of room to the curved bow rail.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Demos

Post by Demos »

I ordered one of these https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... -clamp-on/
and adjusted the mount so I could mount it forward of the rail so it would not get in the way of the mast holder. Then ran wires thru the pulpit and mounted a LED navlight. Works well and stays out of the way of everything.

-Dennis, 1996 :macx: "Confused"
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Well done, Demos.

Dimitri - Another option would be to mount two single color lights, one on each side, on the bow rail or its supports. If down low, the wire can run directly into the deck.

Technically they’re called Side Lights anyway, and small boats (only) are allowed to use a single bi-color light unit. But you certainly could mount two, if that works better for you.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Thanks for the replies and pics. I expect the hull mounted lights would look better but its a lot more work too (making more holes in the boat, etc). Although I suppose I could consider a single color rail light on each side perhaps...haven't seen too many of those advertised. You've given me enough confidence to try the rail mount and I'll report back. Here is the reason why I can't use the stock light location anymore.
Gotro
Chief Steward

Post by Gotro »

Here’s the photo on my x boat, I did have to remove all the styrofoam under the deck to drill a hole precisely between the tree mounted screws holding the rear pulpit tubing mount , fishing the wire is a little tricky ,drilling the hole upside down in that space tricky/er, but the result was worth the effort hope this helps
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Gotro, do you have a part number and/or source for the light?
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Be Free wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 amGotro, do you have a part number and/or source for the light?
Looks like an Aquasignal 33 or 34, which can be mounted on top of a surface, or under it.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/aqua-sig ... cordNum=83

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/aqua-sig ... cordNum=58

Both are approved for sailboats, AFAIK, which means it has a wider vertical arc angle than powerboat-only units, so intensity remains above the minimum when heeled.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Thanks Tom,

I've been planning on moving my bow light up to the rail for quite a while. My anchor rode finally took it off completely last week. Now I'll have to quit putting it off :(
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Well, if it was the OEM light, which was an Aqua Signal Series 20, it wasn't legal for sailboats anyway.* They're approved for power boats to 12 meters, but not sailboats. So maybe your anchor rode did you a favor in the end. :D

*Power boat side lights require 100% req'd intensity at +/- 5 degrees from the horizontal, and over 60% req'd intensity at up to +/- 7.5 degrees.
Sailboat side lights require 100% intensity at +/- 5 degrees from the horizontal, and over 50% req'd intensity at up to +/- 25 degrees, obviously because sailboats heel under sail.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

It was the OEM light. I always thought it looked a little small. I've probably averaged at least one reattachment per year for the last 10 years. I'm not going to miss it.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Be Free wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:55 amIt was the OEM light. I always thought it looked a little small. I've probably averaged at least one reattachment per year for the last 10 years. I'm not going to miss it.
The OEM lights were 1 mile rated, with a shallow vertical angle (power boat rated only). The Aquasignal 33/34 units are 2 mile rated LEDs, with a wider vertical sector angle (sailboat rated).

Maybe it's just as well, as you'll end up with a much more visible light. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Gotro,
What is source and item # of light you installed?