Vee Berth Extension

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Vee Berth Extension

Post by Inquisitor »

Making me feel like a wuss. I didn't work on mine outside because it was 38F. You got to be in the teens.

Looks great! Better than stock for certain... meaning, doesn't look DIY.
When you can, can we get pictures back a little further for more of an overview? I'm not real familiar with the X interior.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Starscream »

Here's a wider angle interior shot. She's in storage mode so it looks kinda sterile...plus, the cushion beige isn't exactly an eye-popping color. But it suits my style, and I kinda like it. The V-berth is plenty big enough for two now, and with the dinette lowered the three boys should be good for another few years. At a certain point they're gonna have to share the aft berth while my wife and I take over the V-berth. I can hear the arguments already, about who has to take the middle.

You can see my deck-fill valve behind the sink tap that I commented in on another thread.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Wow! That turned out nice! I like your material choice a lot. It looks clean and contemporary. Great job!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

Awesome!!!
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Very nice. Here's mine, Use the space below for my Perko switch

Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Beautiful! I love the cushions!
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Thanks guys,

Those posts motivated me to wade through the snow and climb on board to get a bit more done.

Still missing trim. I added the fold-down table using rivnuts, a very easy way to mount things in the inner liner. I made an extra cushion during the cushion project, which wasn't quite the right size, and it sits nicely up against the wall. Maybe I'll keep it.

Table folds down out of the way, but still interferes a bit with the port bin of the V-berth extension. Oh well.

Both sides of the extension flip up for storage. The outer side is only a couple of inches deep, but the inside one goes all the way to the floor. I'll have to move the shore-power plug and the carbon monoxide detector mount out of the bin and somewhere else. The struts work a charm, making it easy to open even with the cushion in place, I had to add little cupboard door-magnets to make sure the struts won't open the bins while heeled.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

That is just so cool!
When do you usually get to put it in the water in the spring up there? I bet you'll have big, longer duration trip plans now.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

That fold down table is cool. Did you make it?

Cushions look great.
--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Star,

You really are a star.

You did an absolutely stellar job. Much to be proud of.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Lol thanks guys,

Yeah we are planning some extended trips this year; with the five of us the longest we've been on board is 6 days. We are considering a Canadian mini-loop: from Montreal up the Ottawa river to Ottawa, through the Rideau canal down through Smith Falls Ontario, coming out in Kingston on the eastern edge of lake Ontario, then down the St. Lawrence back to Montreal. Will take between 3 and 4 weeks. With boys who will be 11,12 and 14. So lots of stops, exploring, swimming etc. Don't know if it will get done, or not, but it would be epic. We were going to do it last year, but the locks weren't operational.

I'm going to have to do some toilet-mods for that trip: right now we have a 9 gal holding tank and a 9-gal fresh-flushing tank. 9 gal just doesn't cut it for holding with 5 on board, so I'm gonna add a flexible 50L tank for the flushing water (don't want a thru-hull, thanks) and combine the two holding tanks into one system for a total of 18 gallons. That'll hold us for a couple of days between pumpouts, easy.

I built the table out of a Bamboo cutting board from Amazon and some 8" flip-up supports.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08M9F ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004GJ ... UTF8&psc=1
and four rivnuts. Probably the simplest mod I have ever done. I still have to add a non-skid mat to the surface.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Very nicely done 8)
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Hey Ray, my next sewing project is changing the curtains, could I ask for your recommendation on color to complement the beige, maybe add a bit of pop but nothing that one would get tired of? Color, but stylish and not in-your-face.

My wife and I are terrible color choosers. We know what is nice when we see it, but can't "create" for the life of us.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Never thought of hinging the berth extension. Nice idea. Just so you know it’s 10 February and it’s 90 F in central Florida. Your boys are growing fast. It’s great that you spend time with them. If COVID-19 rules change maybe we can get up to Canada next year. Would be nice to see you again.
Richard
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

90F !!!!

I was on the boat for about 10 minutes today and couldn't feel my fingers anymore.

I have to admit this continuous winter is is getting on my nerves. Well at least we dont have crocodiles. I'm seriously considering becoming a snowbird and living half the year on an Island Packet 35 somewhere on the gulf coast. Kids are too young right now, but it's gonna happen.

Would be totally cool if you could get up to Canada again. I really enjoyed our time together (and being on a Mac with no responsibility). Even if you come Mac-less we have a guest bedroom and a car for you, any time.