Ballast Leak!!!

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Ballast Leak!!!

Post by Be Free »

Blow the water out of the line with compressed air then put a rubber stopper in the hole in the engine well to keep more water from coming in during the winter. Just blowing the water out of the galley and head lines should be sufficient if you are concerned they may freeze.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Ballast Leak!!!

Post by adudinsk »

I had the tiniest of leaks in my ballast, located where the battery goes under the step of the 26M
It pooled up about 1/2 oz of water, and I could never mop it up.
I noticed it during storage. I pitched the boat and just the way it was sitting.. a TINY bit of ballast water would leak.
Turns out it was a TINY TINY mfg. defect... a bubble in the fiberglass layup. Would not have sunk the boat.. just left a small small puddle of water.
I used Marine-tek to do the initial patch.
Then I laid up about 3 layers of glass over it.. just incase..
Problem solved..
You could see a difference in color where the void was.. ground it out a bit.. patched it .. then glassed it..
100% dry now.

There are some Mfg. layup spots where I am not too happy with.. in the storage areas.. going to "clean" it up.. and bilge paint the storage areas.

AD