Mainsheet traveler replacement?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
tegwilym
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Mainsheet traveler replacement?

Post by tegwilym »

Seems that everything I touch on this boat ends up as more $$ thrown in the hole in the water.

One of the traveler cams was loose and the spring must have broke/fallen out or something since the cam just flopped around and non-functional. I tried to remove the whole traveler to work on it, and stupidly discovered that it can't just come off without exploding small bearings all over the place. The traveler was pretty old and in need of replacement anyway, but my blunder just confirmed that a new one would now be needed.
Looking around it seems the only place that carries it, proudly priced this thing at just under $250.
https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4006-1m0.htm
I'm assuming that it comes with the track and everything, but I don't need that just the sliding assembly with the cams.

Does anyone know if there are equivalent replacements for this? Parts for a rebuild? Source for used Macgregor parts?

Tom

Comes apart nicely, but the bearings only come out once. :cry:
traveler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ
Admiral

Re: Mainsheet traveler replacement?

Post by Russ »

I would call BWY and ask if parts are available. The problem is that it's a piece of marine hardware and the "boat tax" is always applied.
--Russ
tegwilym
Just Enlisted

Post by tegwilym »

Russ wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am I would call BWY and ask if parts are available. The problem is that it's a piece of marine hardware and the "boat tax" is always applied.
Just sent an email. Hopefully, they can just sell us the car piece with cams. I don't need the track. Yep, I'm very aware of the "boat tax" I used to have an airplane, just tossing money the other direction!

Tom
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

tegwilym wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:25 pm ... Yep, I'm very aware of the "boat tax" I used to have an airplane, just tossing money the other direction!

Tom
Yeah! I'd imagine, this is pocket change compared to "plane tax".
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
tegwilym
Just Enlisted

Post by tegwilym »

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent replacement for this? Is BWY the only dealer for Macregor parts other than the random Ebay used market?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Garhauer Marine makes all the blocks & Traveler for the 26M so I would go to their web site
J
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Garhauer Marine makes all the blocks & Traveler for the 26M so I would go to their web site
J