2005 26M jib block option question.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
tegwilym
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

2005 26M jib block option question.

Post by tegwilym »

Our newly acquired 26M (2005) is missing the jib sheet blocks on the roof of the cabin. The tracks are there, but no blocks. The genoa pulley/blocks are in the back near the cockpit though.
Looking at the Blue Water Yacht page, the sell the jib blocks -- http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4304-1v0.htm

It mentions that those are for the 'early' versions of the 26M. Looking around the page they also have these which seem to have the same purpose, but $20 less. These blocks - http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4302-1v0.htm

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work versus the other $70 blocks? (Saving money is always a good thing obviously).

Tom
Last edited by tegwilym on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Re: 2005 26M jib block option question.

Post by Ixneigh »

You might be able to find something cheaper used on eBay. Any block that will fit on your track will work.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

tegwilym wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:56 pm Our newly acquired 26M (2005) is missing the jib sheet blocks on the roof of the cabin. The tracks are there, but no blocks. The genoa pulley/blocks are in the back near the cockpit though.
Looking at the Blue Water Yacht page, the sell the jib blocks -- http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4304-1v0.htm

It mentions that those are for the 'early' versions of the 26M. Looking around the page they also have these which seem to have the same purpose, but $20 less. These blocks - http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4304-1v0.htm

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work versus the other $70 blocks? (Saving money is always a good thing obviously).

Tom
I'd be interested in the place you found with $20 less - Your second link is the same as your first.
Thanks.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Are you planning on using the jib or just the genoa? I took my jib blocks off when I stopped using the jib and only use the genoa blocks. I have no idea where I put them. Probably in the bag with the jib.

As I recall, the jib blocks had springs. Yea, boat tax is expensive.

--Russ
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Russ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 am Are you planning on using the jib or just the genoa? I took my jib blocks off when I stopped using the jib and only use the genoa blocks. I have no idea where I put them. Probably in the bag with the jib.

As I recall, the jib blocks had springs. Yea, boat tax is expensive.

This is what I have also... I think you need it to swivel so it follows the load path. The rigid ones might work, but if the line comes in from a different angle than in the wheel's plane, it gets more resistance. The one BWY has "bumpers" that funnel the line into the wheel. Rubbing your line... not as smooth acting and wear on the line.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

The problem I have with those low-profile jib cars is that they slap around when tacking, and then they don't always stand up when under load. They need a rubber bumper to stand them up enough for the line to finish the job.

The genoa cars work just as well, and with the spring, they always stand up.

Edit: Found this photo, from one of the MMOR trips. Zoomed in and cropped (click on it to expand it), so maybe a little grainy, but you can see the two low-profile jib cars laying inboard. They don't always stand back up when the line is under tension.

And FWIW, I'm not sure those low-profile jib cars are really much lower than the genoa fairleads. They just have larger sheaves, but they're cheap, and don't roll any better than the genoa cars.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .
tegwilym
Just Enlisted

Post by tegwilym »

Oops... sorry I got the wrong URL there (corrected my original post), but it seems everyone understood my question. It's this one - http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4302-1v0.htm
Inquisitor wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:38 am
tegwilym wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Tom
I'd be interested in the place you found with $20 less - Your second link is the same as your first.
Thanks.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Those are what I’m referring to as genoa fairleads or cars.

Looking at the pic I posted, I just remembered another reason I don’t like those jib cars - when they lay inboard like in the photo you can’t open the sliding hatch without slamming into them. My sliding top has nicks on both corners from that. You have to reach forward and flop them outward to open the top, or if there’s a Bimini, under or around it. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .