Powerpack vs Deep-cycle battery

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
drakethib
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Powerpack vs Deep-cycle battery

Post by drakethib »

Obviously a new guy here, redoing a 1991 Mac S.

I have rewired the boat and put in Led lighting and such, and the motor is not electric start and is not connected to the battery in any way (no alternator, does not charge)what is everyone’s thoughts on using a power pack versus a battery.

I won’t be doing overnight trips and such and have the wiring set where I could still install a battery. These power packs seem a lot more veristile versus keeping a battery onboard all of the time.

Appreciate any advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drakethib on Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Powerpack vs Deep-cycle battery

Post by Sheppie62 »

Lithium battery packs seem like a great idea, get everything all in one convenient light package. Can use for other things also. But I would be concerned about using long term in salty environments. Deep cycle lead/acid, Agm batteries are so heavy and can only use 50% of capacity, lithium can use 80-90% or more, much lighter, last much long also. I think main reason lead/acid/agm batteries are still used is cost.
wakataka
Chief Steward

Post by wakataka »

The charging coil on many outboard motors will get fried if there's no load in the circuit. Lead acid batteries absorb current even when fully charged, so the charging coil always has a load. Lithium batteries are damaged from overcharging, so they incorporate a battery management system (BMS) that shuts off the charging current when the battery is full. You'd need to be certain that the outboard you are using can tolerate having no load on the charging coil.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Drake,
With your motor being a manual start with no connection to battery, you are free to use the power pack. Per Hella, their interior and exterior lights are about 1 watt each. "Hella ­Marine LED masthead light and sidelights, all of which burn less than 1 watt and 0.08 amps per hour at 12 volts; "
So, extrapolating in your choice of interior music and electronics, and adding diversity, you maybe would average 3 to 5 watts if frugal. With your power pack at about 250 wh, that gives you about 5 days. And if you add solar, you may be able to go weeks. Goferit! (and write up your experience).
Opie