Interesting Mod Ideas

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Interesting Mod Ideas

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:42 am

Stumbled over a series of videos that show a highly modified Mac with some great ideas. Some of his mods are things I've seen before, but he's done his own interpretation of them. Well worth a watch. If you follow the videos back to the guys channel, and look at his videos, you will see a series of short videos on this guy's boat.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

adudinsk
First Officer

Re: Interesting Mod Ideas

Post by adudinsk » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:44 am

Cool.. but how much weight was added with all the wood.. and accessories?

AD

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:54 am

adudinsk wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:44 am
Cool.. but how much weight was added with all the wood.. and accessories?

AD
I would guess 250-300 lbs easily.

His mods interest me because he's got something for everyone; re-designed galley, re-designed galley table, composting head, pressurized water system, storage solutions everywhere, flip up cabin ladder, etc. it's cool to see one boat with that many mods.

Agree, he's added significant weight. But if it's only him and one crew member, it's probably ok.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Wow! That looks amazing.
--Russ

OverEasy
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:36 pm

Yes! He has been a busy beaver with all his mods!

Where did he find the time?!?
And all the polyurethane!?!

It is a very unique boat and capable individual!

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Just watched his other videos. WOW!

That's in competition with Highlander.
--Russ

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Looks awesome.

I couldn't do many of those mods to our X simply because of the weight. When you are cruising 1 or 2 people, you can add wood, and dual metal faucets, and all kinds of things, but not so much when the five human beings on board already weigh 6 or 700 lbs. Add their gear and food and toys, and it gets to the point where one has to consider every single additional pound, and anything made of wood or metal better have a real good reason for being on board. Especially if a lightweight plastic option exists.

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:17 pm

I'll also add that I'm not sure why he put the inclinometer and compass INSIDE the cabin. When I use those things, I'm OUTSIDE the cabin.

Navigation from inside? Seems very hard to keep a meaningful watch if that's the case.

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 pm

Maybe they’re just for crew information?🤔
Maybe he had spares and thought they might look good there?🤔

Anyway, this guy has done a lot of interesting work modifying his Mac26M and I’m in no position but to be in relative awe of how much he has accomplished and in good workmanship manner to boot!🏆🥇🎖 This guy has been busy! ⛵️ Especially with taking his other mod videos into account. :o :o

It will be years before I even get half as much ✅ done on our “to-do list”. :D :D

It’s probably only him and a sailing buddy for the most part based on what is displayed (and what is not displayed).
I’ve got to hide these videos before the Admiral sees them and gets more ideas! :D :D

Bes Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Russ wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:16 pm
Just watched his other videos. WOW!

That's in competition with Highlander.
Well I,m not impressed , he,s obviously been on our site browsing 65% of his mods r exact copies of mine which I,d done yrs ago & posted on here a very long time ago. Most of the other Mods he,s done r also copies of other peoples mods on here or very close copies that he,s adapted . about 15% of his mods r redundant & totally don,t make any sense ! & or r obsolete , why install a wired VHS Mike into the pedestal ! its a way cheaper to install a wireless remote mike which will work up to 75 ft away from the base station & more useful ! that,s what I did 12yrs ago along with a portable VHS radio ! , sharp edge corners on overhead light boxes & mettle toggle switches really ? I see all kinds of sloppy workmanship with no detailing & likely not marine plywood where in the NWP dampness is a serious issue ! also some of my mods & others he copied he done on the cheap with no thought of safety looks good but really impracticable in a bad situation !
So what,s my issue well I don,t appreciate a guy making 7-9 U tube videos acting like a Pre- Modona like he,s the greatest thing since slice cheese & bread like he designed all these stolen or borrowed mods from our site Really ! no mention of our great site or that he got these mod idea,s off this site basically stealing the credit for himself . thats B/S in my book sorry guys but I call a spade a spade no matter who u R ? maybe I should go on his u tube site & give him out :evil: Tell me I,m wrong ! & prove it

J :(

Stickinthemud57
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:59 am

While I would say the woodwork looks nice, that's about the end of my appreciation. Overall, it feels to me like an overdone pastiche. Obviously the guy's passion is modding his boat, and he possesses some skill. I very much enjoy making improvements to my boat, and can definitely relate, but I hope I have the will power to stop before going so completely overboard, if you will excuse the expression.

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:07 am

Hi Highlander & StickInTheMud,

We appreciate the thought and care that have gone into the many very functional modifications that Highlander has accomplished! The amount of time and skill that have gone into them is remarkable.

That someone else, with possibly less skill and understanding or financial or material resources, would have the desire to try and emulate the modifications that Highlander and others on this forum have previously accomplished is actually sort of complementary. In all likelihood he started with one mod, then two, then a third and overtime things sort of took on a life of their own (we personally have 🙄 “never done that” 🙄 in our hobbies :D :D , Right?).

And after making a modification that didn’t work out or became redundant or obsolete we have all immediately removed that item from the boat😏🙄 even though it looked nice where it was. And like all hobbyists we don’t just use what we have even if it’s outdated but still functional…(that reminds us we should really get rid of that mechanical motor/generator DC-to-AC inverter my Dad gave me that still works and I like to use to run my old 2-wire Aluminum casing one speed drill that my Dad used for decades or the old open top homemade from scraps tool box sawn with a hand coping saw and held together by a half dozen different fasteners and painted with thinned down leftover oil based house paint because it’s at least 10 years older than I am and isn’t neat or orderly).

While I’m at it maybe 🤔 I should burn for firewood that desk box and workbench I build in a spare afternoon that I sort of copied from a partial picture I remembered seeing somewhere or other because I haven’t labeled it as “sort of copied from some place or other originally copied by ‘Frank Whatshisname’ who in all likelihood saw something that was copied by ‘Jack Whoever’ who by a long circuitous roundabout way was actually first accomplished by an apprentice carpenter in a back alley workshop during the first pre-Egyptian dynasty.

My point is “there is nothing new under the Sun ☀️ that hasn’t already been done or thought of by someone previously in some shape or form” and “imitation (the copying or replication or adapting” of an idea 💡 or style) is the most sincere form of flattery”.

So the guy has some odd and redundant modifications that others before him (and after him) have done with more or less skill and better or less desirable materials in possibly more or less functional locations or manner.

The remarkable thing is that he got them accomplished in the first place, had fun doing them and is happy with them.

I believe that as hobbyists it’s not appropriate or acceptable to belittle or denigrate another individual’s efforts or style or even their workmanship. What works for one may not work for another… So what?🤔… hmm …. Nada!

One only takes away from one’s own accomplishments knocking another’s.

If one has better ideas or skills or resources or insight or experience then share them constructively. Even RE-share them again as others may not know about the first time. Maybe someone or other may be inspired to “copy” or “imitate” or “incorporate” your version of a concept into their own projects.

Lighten up, share ideas and enjoy the efforts and accomplishments of others and your own.

As more than 1,000,000 people have tragically died from COVID-19 in the US in just the past 18 months it might do us all good to just appreciate being and appreciating others. Life’s to short as it is….

Just our 2 cents….

Best Regards to All,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:00 pm

U r missing the point , I have no issue,s with someone coping or even improving on my mods or making the best of other peoples mods by combining the best of them into one mod , Just as I & other,s on here sometimes post mod Ideas for input & suggestions to see if we can improve a mod as likely a lot of us may want to implement that mod as I have also copied other,s mods or improved on them from here also I do a lot of home work & seaches on the internet for my mods I want or am thinking of implementing drawing up plans taking measurements on my boat sometimes making several prototypes at my expense I,ll also spend countless hrs searching boat manufactures sites & plans to see if they have used the same idea &then if I find it I,ll look for u-tube to see if it,s worth doing the mod or if it,s not suitable for our boats for various reasons or I may have to modify said mod to make it work or b feasible for my boat or just abandon the idea as not being worth the effort for a seldom used mod ! I studied rigging coarses on the net for two yrs before making my boat a cutter masthead rig. As alot of guys do when deciding on mods unless I find the answers from other owners on this site or I already have the knowledge !
Theirs nothing lower that stealing another guys thunder & blowin ur own Horn as the guys commentator on the u tube vids appears to imply :cry:
it,s blatantly obvious that he got most of the ideas for his mods off this site ! which is great to know but not to even mention this site or credit it with helping him find ideas for his Mods is deplorable & shows lack of character in my mind anyway !
I don,t wish him any harm maybe the commentator has him so pumped with pride he does,nt realize or have thought about it sadly :(
This is a great site as many of us know but sadly to take advantage of it without giving it recognition is what sadly appears to b common practise in todays society .
I will likely comment on his last u tube vid , that it looks like where got these mods & ideas & see if he gives this site any recognition :)
Just sayin Thats All

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm

As more than 1,000,000 people have tragically died from COVID-19 in the US in just the past 18 months it might do us all good to just appreciate being and appreciating others. Life’s to short as it is….

Just our 2 cents….

Best Regards to All,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Sadly millions of people around the world have been taken from their loved ones with Covid 19 & even more sadly China goe,s on unaccountableable for
for its actions enough said on that !

Just sayiin ?

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Highlander wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Just our 2 cents….

Best Regards to All,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Sadly millions of people around the world including my Mother in Scotland have been taken from their loved ones with Covid 19 & even more sadly China goe,s on unaccountableable for
for its actions enough said on that !

Just sayiin ?