Plastimo bladder tank question

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Plastimo bladder tank question

Post by Jimmyt » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm

My buddy with the Island Packet had leaking lids on his built-in water tanks. So, after unsuccessfully trying to remove the lids, he decided to slip in some plastimo bladder tanks through the access holes. Sounded like a fine idea to me, plus it was his boat, so he gets to make the rules.

So, the plastimo bladder tanks come with an o-ring sealed, retention ring screw on, fitting that allows orientation of the barbed fill and discharge fittings in any angle, 360 degrees, parallel to the tank surface.

The barbed fittings and threaded retention rings are a fairly rigid plastic. The tank side, is basically a male threaded nipple, about 3/8" long, with a face flange that is notched to receive an o-ring. The nipple is made from a flexible material, presumably to mate properly with the flexible bladder.

This is where he's run into trouble. In rolling up the bladder to insert it through a 6" access hole, he initially pulled the threaded nipple out of the discharge fitting retention ring causing a quick test of his bilge pump when he filled his water tank. Pulled it apart and reattached it, being careful not to tweak it while putting it into place. Seems to be ok now sitting still in the slip.

Fill connection is another issue. He uses a hose and cap on the fill connection in lieu of tying to his deck fills. He prefers to fill where he can see the bladder expanding and stop before it gets too full (bladders are slightly larger than tank capacity).

So as he's filling, the bladder tends to shift around, tweaking the inlet nipple and pulling it partially out of the barbed elbow retention ring. This results in a pool on top of the bladder. :?

While the bladder tanks seem to be a great solution for many problems, the fact that the fittings are so flimsy as to pull out when moderately stressed really throws me. Anybody else had problems with the fittings pulling apart on their plastimo tanks? It looks as though they would pull apart if you were bouncing through chop at planing speed. Or, possibly when sailing at a steep heel angle in rolling seas...

If anyone has figured this out, I'd love to hear it. He's thinking about squirting it with 4200.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Plastimo bladder tank question

Post by Starscream » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm

I have a Plastimo 100L tank under the galley. I had similar challenges with the connections, especially the elbow one with the o-ring. None of the fittings pulled out, though.

The supply connection to the pump is, by function, on the bottom of the tank, and all the weight rests on it. I was more worried about that connection, but it's been solid.

Once the tightening and adjustments and leak sealing were done, it's been watertight for years. I didn't have to add any additional sealant.

It stays in place and gets banged around, so far, so good.

I just ordered a Lalizas 50L flexible tank for the toilet clean water flush. I can comment on that one in a couple of days.

pitchpolehobie
Engineer

Post by pitchpolehobie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 pm

Starscream wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm
I have a Plastimo 100L tank under the galley. I had similar challenges with the connections, especially the elbow one with the o-ring. None of the fittings pulled out, though.

The supply connection to the pump is, by function, on the bottom of the tank, and all the weight rests on it. I was more worried about that connection, but it's been solid.

Once the tightening and adjustments and leak sealing were done, it's been watertight for years. I didn't have to add any additional sealant.

It stays in place and gets banged around, so far, so good.

I just ordered a Lalizas 50L flexible tank for the toilet clean water flush. I can comment on that one in a couple of days.
how do you sanitize the tank? do you use for drinking h2o?

kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 am

I have the plastimo 200 Bladder and keep it under the rear beads. So I get ca. 120L to store.

The filler connection is under the tank, and the one to take out the water is on the up surface.

The connections stay ok for 10 years now.

But it is quite flimsy to connect if you have to to it blind (like I had Under the tank). The O ring falls away or you do connect correctly with the threads. But with good luck I managed to do it and it's safe so fare.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:26 am

I have a 30 gallon (113.5 L) Plastimo bladder under the V-birth. I don’t use it for drinking water. I use it only for long cruises as a source to fill the 5 gallon (18.9L) feeder tank in the porta potty after each pump out. I fill a pale with water to fill the feeder tank. I converted the porta potty for pump out use.

Last summer we took a 13 day cruise; round trip, 380 miles (611.5km) on the water. The system worked fine.

I would not trust the bladder for potable water. It can’t be checked for mold or any harmful bacteria.

Before the trip, I pour about two cups (.47 L) of chlorine bleach into the bladder (feeder tube for the bladder is in the anchor locker), and then add water to capacity. After I let it sit for awhile, I flush the system. I do that twice. The bladder has been in use since I purchased my 2005 :macm: in 2004.

I have two faucets in the sink. One for the bladder, and one for drinking water. The faucet for the bladder has a clear hose connecting it to the bladder. I can see the the results of the bleach, but I still will not use the bladder as a source for drinking water. The Plastimo bladder has never been removed since its initial installation.

For drinking water, I have two 5 gallon (18.9L) collapsable, clear plastic containers. One is connected to the sink faucet while the other is held for replacement when needed.

The faucet for the bladder is powered by an electric pump. The faucet for drinking water is a hand pump.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:59 pm

pitchpolehobie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 pm

A couple of drops of bleach, and very tank gets a bunch of AquaTabs (the big pills that do 20L each, not the small pills). I buy the aquatabs from Amazon.

No, we don't drink or brush teeth with that water, but we do the dishes and wash our hands with it. It's always clear, coming out of the taps.

Drinking water is carried in gallon jugs stored under the table and in the new bin created by extending the v berth.