Blahhh

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Blahhh

Post by Ixneigh »

So anyway, havent done much of note on my boat this summer. I put the stock rudders back on, since I’m curious to see how the boat sails with them now that I have the stub keel. Also the wood and glass ones were heavy. We have seaweed around here and in certain weather conditions it’s frickinv all over and fouls the rudders. I bored out the pivot hole using a fabulous hole saw by Diablo. I stuck a piece of aluminum pipe inside, and tightened the pivot bolt against the pipe. (Pipe acts as compression stud) now I can tighten the bolt way down but the rudder will still be free to move. That may reduce rudder plate bending who knows. I see Bluewater has upgraded rudder brackets. Yay. But I ain’t getting them this year. I did get titanium spreaders. They were my big purchase. 100 each. I’ll spring for a new spreader base as well. It’s ten years old now and it’s highly stressed. I lost the mast raising pole but was able to use the boom instead without much difficulty. I still have the winch and cables. I did use the mainsheet to raise the last once. It’s not that great but possible.
I’m committed to lightening the boat as much as possible this season. Esp from the stern. All the crap back there is coming out. I may fill the lockers with foam to discourage storage of junk.
Wanted to get to the Bahamas this year but covid and all. Probably just bomb the keys again.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
JaxMacX
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Blahhh

Post by JaxMacX »

Hey.. any pointers on sailing in the keys? We might want to try that next summer. Might trailer down from Jacksonville and then put in somewhere then sail on down to the keys. We were in key west last summer, but we were just on the island (no boat then). Lots of places I want to sail around Florida. Perhaps siesta keys area or St. Pete.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Ixneigh!

It’s the simplest of things that make a difference!
Like your rudder compression bushing idea!

We have the same issue (but to lesser extent) with the rudder pivots.
Our pivot bolts are ‘just’ long enough to capture but at the same time clamps the rudders in their brackets such that they tend to need encouragement to deploy and retract.

I was just going to go to longer bolts but your system idea of the compression bushing is a great one to incorporate at the same time! :) :) that way the rudders are secure and won’t wobble while still being able to move up/down easily.

Thank you for posting this idea!

Best Regards.
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

OverEasy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am

We have the same issue (but to lesser extent) with the rudder pivots.
Our pivot bolts are ‘just’ long enough to capture but at the same time clamps the rudders in their brackets such that they tend to need encouragement to deploy and retract.
Another simpler solution I have used, is to insert plastic "washers" between the rudders and bracket.
I cut them out of thin plastic cutting boards. This allows me to clamp the bolts and allows the rudders to slide easier.

--Russ