Fuel water separator recommendation

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fuel water separator recommendation

Post by Starscream »

+1 on the rivnut recommendation. I use them everywhere, with a similar installation kit. They also make rivstuds, which are the opposite idea, leaving you with a threaded post sticking out of the surface you are working on, but I haven't tried those.

Mounted the filter yesterday using M10 bolts and rivnuts. It's under the cockpit enclosure but will be exposed to the elements during travel. It also gets splashed a bit under power, which I don't love. But it should be waterproof. No leaks, and worked well on a short test run. The primer bulb that leads to the motor is in the cubby with the fuel tank, just to explain why there are three lines coming from the starboard cubby in the photo.

Oh...and DON'T order those elbows from Grainger that I linked to a few threads back. Total mistake to order 3/8" threaded fittings for a fuel system using 3/8" barbs and 3/8" fuel line. The threaded fittings are 1/4", of course, and I totally knew that. The fellow at Grainger was great, tracking down his last three 1/4" MPT to 1/4" FPT brass elbow fittings in stock, at about $3 each, and restocking the 3/8" elbows.

Any concerns about the quick-connect facing upwards like I have it? Don't like the idea of water pooling there, but it's certainly the best arrangement to minimize strain.

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi StarScream!

Looks like a nice location!

Yeah, I’ve considered the Rivstuds but could only find them in ferrous steel, not SST, brass or Aluminum (not sure I’d trust an aluminum stud much anyway on anything less than 3/8 UNC… but that’s just me :D :| :D )

One thing to consider with a QD arrangement like that is the potential for thermal fuel expansion leakage when the QD is removed.
Filters flow in both directions so any residual fuel in the system between the QD port and the engine could foreseeably expand (sunlight, warmer air, etc…) and leak out and potentially drain into the engine well drain… :o :| :? In a former life I’ve been inadvertently caught out by that sorta thing… :evil: :| .

I can’t tell from the photo if they are the self-sealing type or not.

If the QD isn’t self sealing one could maybe splice in a a small shut off valve or something on the filter side or change to double sided self sealing QD? Just a thought….

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Last edited by OverEasy on Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

A few weeks into operation: everything working perfectly, switching tanks is an absolute breeze, and nice to be able to see clean fuel in the cup.

Now I'm thinking of using the second fuel outlet to run to a second primer bulb and shutoff valve, so that I can refuel the dinghy/kicker motor right from the main tanks. Maybe that's too creative, but I really hate gassing up the kicker with a gas can.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

OverEasy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:49 am Hi StarScream!

Here’s a copy of our drawn out fuel system schematic:

Sorry :( :( I plum fergot ta take a picture of da setup on da boat… my bad.

I’ll try ya take one this weekend an post it.

Best Regards
Over Easy 8) 8)
I was just cleaning up the garage and I found the installation guide for the Sierra filter. In small print it says that for outboard motors the filter should be installed BETWEEN the primer bulb and the motor.

That's not how O.E. or I have it currently installed!

Seems to work just fine tho, does anyone know why Sierra would have this requirement?
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Huh? 🤔 :? :o :| ….Nuts
It’s been working fine……