Fuel tanks again (I hate mine)

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Jim B Mack
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Fuel tanks again (I hate mine)

Post by Jim B Mack » Sun May 17, 2020 6:21 pm

I should just get the aluminum tanks from BWY but my better half still not on board.
For now I have two mis-matched 5.5 and 6 gal tanks that I wedge in under the seats with a shower curtain extendable rod one on each side (embarrassing) just to prevent migration during healing. I would like to buy something better for the coming season. Can anyone offer a solution for a 12 gal tank. What fits what doesnt???

Would also like to know how you attach the straps to the boat. Im thinking drilling pilot hole and some 5200.

Looking for suggestions and or links to mods I have not found.

Thank you in advance............Jim

Jeff
Chief Steward

Re: Fuel tanks again (I hate mine)

Post by Jeff » Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Jim,
As all here will say, the fuel tanks depend on your use case. For folks that mainly trailer their boats most prefer the 6 gallon tanks like what you have now, because they are easier to carry to gas pump. But for me, since I keep my boat in a slip I prefer bigger tanks. I just bought these 12 gallon low profile Moeller tanks from West Marine. See pic. I had strap eyelets installed in my fuel lockers by my motor dealer when I bought my boat. They used low profile tie downs similar to the one in the pic. The fiber glass is fairly thick in bottom of fuel locker so they used self tapping stainless screws & sealed with 3M 5200. Those straps haven't budged in 14 years no matter how heeled over the boat gets. I'm confident they'll hold the larger tanks I just bought. I got one installed today. Will take pics for you when I install the second one later this week. If I had the $$ I would probably go with the Blue Water Yacht tanks but I'm happy with the Moellers. The big tanks can't be carried to pump so I fuel up at marinas or when trailering boat, I'll stop at gas station near a marina before I launch & fuel up there. (I can always find 100% gas no ethanol near most marinas). Plus even when I had two 7.5 gallon tanks similar shape I would always stop & fuel up because I don't like to tow long distances with the weight of all that gas.

Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack » Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm
Jim,
As all here will say, the fuel tanks depend on your use case. For folks that mainly trailer their boats most prefer the 6 gallon tanks like what you have now, because they are easier to carry to gas pump. But for me, since I keep my boat in a slip I prefer bigger tanks. I just bought these 12 gallon low profile Moeller tanks from West Marine. See pic. I had strap eyelets installed in my fuel lockers by my motor dealer when I bought my boat. They used low profile tie downs similar to the one in the pic. The fiber glass is fairly thick in bottom of fuel locker so they used self tapping stainless screws & sealed with 3M 5200. Those straps haven't budged in 14 years no matter how heeled over the boat gets. I'm confident they'll hold the larger tanks I just bought. I got one installed today. Will take pics for you when I install the second one later this week. If I had the $$ I would probably go with the Blue Water Yacht tanks but I'm happy with the Moellers. The big tanks can't be carried to pump so I fuel up at marinas or when trailering boat, I'll stop at gas station near a marina before I launch & fuel up there. (I can always find 100% gas no ethanol near most marinas). Plus even when I had two 7.5 gallon tanks similar shape I would always stop & fuel up because I don't like to tow long distances with the weight of all that gas.

Thanks Jeff pictures would be awesome esp of the tie down straps where they actually are attached and screwed in to the boat. The part number for the tank you bought would be great too. The BWY site mentions the new moeller 12 gal tank no longer fits. You obviously found one that does. Hope I can find the same. I have two projects before she goes in the water. Bottom paint and fuel tanks. I too have a summer slip in Goderich on lake Huron.

Thanks again!

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 pm

My only pet peeve with the arrangement is how much gunk gathers in the bay. They get quite filthy, and are very difficult to keep clean.

My plan is to make some slip-in panels that cover the bay (with plenty of air gaps.) Then they'll match my wood panelled main hatch.

Eventually I'll replace the pedestal panels as well.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'

Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack » Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 pm
My only pet peeve with the arrangement is how much gunk gathers in the bay. They get quite filthy, and are very difficult to keep clean.

My plan is to make some slip-in panels that cover the bay (with plenty of air gaps.) Then they'll match my wood panelled main hatch.

Eventually I'll replace the pedestal panels as well.
Hi Dave
What kind of tanks do you have what are the capacity?
Got a picture?
How about the dimensions?

Cheers...........Jim

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 am

I recently replaced tie down straps on one of my 12gal tanks. The one that gets all the sun and deteriorated.
Something like this works well. It was installed by BYW similar to how Dave describes.

--Russ

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am

I had 2 of those 12 gallon low profile Moeller tanks on 'boat' - they came with the boat when I picked it up at the factory in Costa Mesa.. and I hated them. If I filled them up they leaked every time the boat heeled. I HATED THEM! :x The gas smell is stinky and gets all over the floor of the cockpit.

I got rid of those things.

I put in the aluminum tanks - they are airtight. I like them better and I can fill them up to the top.😊 Now I can get over 34 gallons of gas into the tanks and wander - I can go almost 400 miles now on one fill if I go slow or I can cruise at about 13.5 knots for over 160 miles. :|

Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack » Thu May 21, 2020 8:20 am

BOAT wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am
I had 2 of those 12 gallon low profile Moeller tanks on 'boat' - they came with the boat when I picked it up at the factory in Costa Mesa.. and I hated them. If I filled them up they leaked every time the boat heeled. I HATED THEM! :x The gas smell is stinky and gets all over the floor of the cockpit.

I got rid of those things.

I put in the aluminum tanks - they are airtight. I like them better and I can fill them up to the top.😊 Now I can get over 34 gallons of gas into the tanks and wander - I can go almost 400 miles now on one fill if I go slow or I can cruise at about 13.5 knots for over 160 miles. :|
Thank you Capt Boat the more I go round this tank quest the more the BWY metal makes sense.

Just need the Admiral on board!

Cheers Jim

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am

Jeff wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm
I just bought these 12 gallon low profile Moeller tanks from West Marine. I had strap eyelets installed in my fuel lockers by my motor dealer when I bought my boat. They used low profile tie downs similar to the one in the pic.
So you got the new Moeller 12 gal tanks to fit and the lid closes correctly?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moeller- ... --11882578
--Russ

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Jim B Mack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Dave
Got a picture?

Cheers...........Jim
Pretty sure they're standard issue 25L (6.6Gal).

Only mine have a gas gauge.

MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'

Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Jim B Mack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Dave
Got a picture?

Cheers...........Jim
Pretty sure they're standard issue 25L (6.6Gal).

Only mine have a gas gauge.

Thanks Dave!

Jeff
Chief Steward

Post by Jeff » Sun May 24, 2020 11:42 am

Russ wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am

So you got the new Moeller 12 gal tanks to fit and the lid closes correctly?

Hey all figured I’d give an update on my new Moeller fuel tanks. In answer to Russ, yes the new tanks fit in the locker and the lid closes correctly. However I did notice that once the low perm tanks heat up in the afternoon the tank swells like the new ones are designed to do. When that happens it lifts the cockpit seat slightly. However once you press the button to relieve the pressure, (which the instructions say you must do before starting motor) they instantly drop back down. I don’t know if this will be much of a problem or not. With the cockpit cushions in I probably wouldn’t have even noticed. So for now I’m happy. If it becomes a problem I did find that my vent caps off my old tanks fit the new tank better. The old caps are about 1 inch shorter and of course they don’t hold pressure like the new ones so the swelling won’t happen with them. For now I’m leaving it as bought but I’ll reevaluate with use.

For Jim, my locker dimensions are: Length slightly over 24.5 inches, Width- 17 inches to top of the lip, 18 inches to bottom of lip even with cockpit floor, Height- 11.75 inches to the bottom of the seat that covers the locker. You can also see the pictures of the tie downs for the straps that are installed. The straps I’m using on one tank are 1” straps I had lying around, the old 1.5 inch ones had deteriorated so I have ordered new 1.5 inch wide straps so the tie downs are properly loaded. See pics.

For Russ, Russ you’ll be glad to know, I am now routing my fuel lines outside and not inside like my previous tanks. The only reason is my local West Marine, my local marina store and the closest boat shop were all sold out of A1 designated fuel line, and I didn’t want to wait a week to use the boat. The other stuff B1/B2 not rated for being inside bilge and holding fuel inside continuously. So long story short, I am still going to plumb my T into the system. I bought suspension clamps and will be mounting it in the motor well. I have just grown to love simply switching a valve on or off and not having to move a line. I’ll post pics of that minor mod once I finish it this week.

Here’s the link to the tanks I bought: