Honda BF50 replacement control cable

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

svscott
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Honda BF50 replacement control cable

Post by svscott » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Last night when I lifted the Honda bf50 engine up for trailering, I noticed the top two control cables are fouling on the steering rack of my new to me 26X. The cable closest to the starboard side is cracked where it enters the engine and the steel wires are rusted and half are already broken.

I assume these cables should be an easy replacement but how do I route the cables to avoid this in the future? There are a couple flexible wires under the rack and the stiff control cables are on top of the rack but push it down a bit when motor tilts up. Should the whole bundle be under the rack?

Can anyone help with what cables to buy, or should I just remove them and visit the Honda dealership to get new ones? I certainly want to replace theese before they break altogether.

kurz
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Honda BF50 replacement control cable

Post by kurz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 pm

I have a Merc so I can't help with type of cables.

How many years did the work?

I think you can't do anything against the flexing when tilting up the OB.

BUT: The problem is: The steel wires are rusting becouse the plastic outside of them is borken.

So when I renewed it this spring I used shrink tubing with glue inside So I put the shirnk tubing over the cable at the end. Now I hope it will hold longer then the 3 years...

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 am

There are previous discussions of this problem along with videos. To summarize:
- cables are not hard to replace. Many sources.
- Roger did the best he could, but the design of your boat puts strain on the cables when the motor is tilted.
-
My own takeaway is I replaced the cables and since then I carefully tilt the engine only so high that the strain just barely starts to occur then I stop the tilt.

That means my prop is still in water when sailing and I depend on tilt motor to hold motor while trailering since the metal "lock" won't function unless motor is full up.

12 years on my cable set and no problems if you can accept the two things above.

If there is a better answer, I would be eager to learn about it.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am

opie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 am
- cables are not hard to replace.
well maybe true, I would say it depends...

In my :macm: the Throttle box is inside the helm pedestal. This looks very nice!

BUT: To put new cables in...first you have to split the complete helm... Then you need to open the box INSIDE the helm pedestal... the first time you will learn that you will loose the little tiny plastic things that hold the cable in place... So I have ordered spare ones... just in case... Doing all inside is "not hard to replace" but really annoing...

So in my case it is a mather of lazyness to put a shrink tube over the cables where it enters the motor. The longer it holds the better, it really takes hours. When you have the Throttle box OUTSIDE the Helm pedestel... easy job to do.

svscott
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 am

After some research, it's my understanding that the Teleflex Tfxrtreme cables allow for a tighter bend while still maintaining smooth operation. The cables are only about $10 more per cable so I'm probably going that route, unless someone has a reason not to. I'm hoping the cables can then be routed under the rack as a long term solution.

I already had the port side plexiglass helm cover open a couple days ago to wire in a garmin gpsmap 741 chartplotter, so opening up the binnacle shouldn't be a major concern.

I would rather not have the motor in the water at all while at the dock and I certainly don't want to trailer the boat any distance without the engine up and the support lock engaged. 80 or 90 bucks to repair it again in ten or twenty years does not seem too expensive, all things considered.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

svscott wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 am
I'm hoping the cables can then be routed under the rack as a long term solution.

<snip>

I would rather not have the motor in the water at all while at the dock and I certainly don't want to trailer the boat any distance without the engine up and the support lock engaged. 80 or 90 bucks to repair it again in ten or twenty years does not seem too expensive, all things considered.
I'm pretty sure my cables are under the cross bar, so they're not stressed too badly when the engine is tilted up. But they do take a bit of a bend, since that engine well doesn't extend very far forward.

I do transport the boat with the engine all the way up and the tilt lock in place, and the quick-disconnect steering disconnected and locked in the straight-ahead position. Tilted all the way up takes most of the load off the transom other than vertical dead weight, since the CG is almost directly over the hinge line. You can lift the engine against the cylinder with two fingers.

I also changed my helm engine control to put the lever on the outside, with the thumb button under my right thumb, and the control in the intended upright position. The cables loop back and into the rear of the helm station, then down and back to the engine.

I'll snap a pic or two of the engine when I get back to
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm
svscott wrote:

<snip>

I do transport the boat with the engine all the way up and the tilt lock in place,
What do you mean exactely with the "tilt lock"?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

kurz wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 pm
Tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm
svscott wrote:

<snip>
I do transport the boat with the engine all the way up and the tilt lock in place,
What do you mean exactely with the "tilt lock"?
The swing-down metal tabs that prevent the motor from tilting down from the full up position.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 pm

ok, I understand. In the manual (Merc) they say don't use it for trailering...

Maybe they just say not to be responsible...