Replacing Detmar Steering Cable

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
c130king
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Replacing Detmar Steering Cable

Post by c130king »

I bought my Teleflex SS-141 at go2marine.com. Very quick delivery back in 2007 when I ordered it.

Good Luck,
Jim
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

if you use two hole saws,the first one being the diameter of the original hole,the second being the diameter of the new hole.If you have a hole saw kit,the pice with the drill on it is refered to as a mandrill,now thread the larger of the two hole saws onto the mandrill and there should be enough of a thread left to take the second hole saw.The smaller holesaw will act as a pilot drill and keep your larger hole centered.

I picked up my replacement teleflex from the Norfolk boat jumble,it cost 75 quid for a new one,much cheaper than the chandlers or online
Theo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Theo »

FYI - For what it is worth, I replaced my steering cable about 2 or 3 years back and I think I snagged the last Detmar steering cable on the planet from some little online outfit in Texas. At that it was about 2 feet too long, about 10 or 12 feet. Now a bit of a PITA down below.

It seems DetMar (Detroit Marine?) has exited the steering system market and no longer manufactures or supports the old steering systems. I am a little surprised no one else stepped up to make replacement cables. If yours seizes, and it eventually will, you will have to replace it with another system. I was drooling over a hydraulic system for awhile but then I regained my financial sanity again. Either that or the wife called.

Teleflex and Uflex seem to be the most popular choices. You should also be able to get replacement parts for many years to come.

Good Luck

Theo
2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC »

c130king wrote:I bought my Teleflex SS-141 at go2marine.com.
Hi Jim,
Thank You for the answer however my question was: Is the "Teleflex SS141 Rack Package Single Back Mount" what You have installed? Is there enough space for the rack inside the steering helmet?
Does anybody know the length of the rack of that steering?

Rainer
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

Rainer,

Look for my thread entitled "Steering Broke". Lots of pics and info in that thread. The SS-141 was almost identical in size/shape to the Detmar so it fit where the Detmar was with no big issues. You have to drill/cut a bigger hole for the new steering wheel shaft (which is what Matt's comment on the dual hole drills was about).

The rack was maybe 1cm longer so it slightly interfered with my depth gauge but I was able to pull my depth guage out a little bit and it all worked and fit fine.

I am a complete mechanical goof so if I can do this then anyone that knows the difference between a wrench and screwdriver can do this.

And yes it was the SS-141 Rack Single Back Mount.

Good Luck,
Jim

On Edit: Here is the thread Steering Broke
vkmaynard
Admiral
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

The new hole is NOT concentric with the old hole. The top of the new larger hole WILL BE even with the top of the old smaller hole. Second boat, same fit. The new rack is slightly taller and needs to be moved down a little.

I've installed two units so far.

Buy the 10' unit. Better radius fit.

Victor
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

I wonder if there is a difference between the :macm: and the :macx: in the hole alignment and how well the SS-141 rack fits inside the pedastal. The 8' cable worked out great for me in...no issues running it where it needed to go.

Measure twice...then measure again...and probably one more time just to ensure that you didn't screw it up the first three times...then if you are me find your Dad and see if he will look at it and measure to ensure that I didn't totally screw up the measurements.

Then cut once.

That is my motto.

Good Luck,
Jim
2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC »

Thanks again Jim,
now everything is clear. I think I´m heading for the Uflex Rotech system :P
Rainer
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

rob

as you can gather,there has been one or two of us who have had to replace their steering cable,mines packed in about 50 yards from the Outer Harbour in Gt Yarmouth,i had the rocks on my port and the windfarm on my starboard in choppy seas,it was an interesting time.

The whole process of replacing the steering is not a difficult one,as i said if you hang back untill the baot jumbles are in your area then you can save on the cost of a replacement unit.I went for the 250hp rated teleflex as i felt that it would be a lot stronger than the 50hp rated one.
Nautek
First Officer

Post by Nautek »

You guys have jinxed me talking about steering problems
I have just checked my steering ready for a trip at the end of the month and found it to be stiff
It is the detmar steering
I have just gone from two hand steering to one finger steering by lubricating the cable.
But no more worries
My option otherwise was probably hydraulic

Allan
Ivan Awfulitch
First Officer

Post by Ivan Awfulitch »

Having replaced my rack unit last summer, I have to say it's amazingly easy. The new larger hole is only about 1/4 inch lower at the bottom, and was quite easy to drill by simply screwing a piece of scrap wood behind the old hole. One word of caution, the rubber boot where the cable exits the transom by the steering bracket will most likely be destroyed when you remove the old cable. You can get this exact boot from Bluewater Yachts for about $10; Part #5705-1X0. I didn't realize this and spent an hour or so making one up which sealed things fine, but ultimately cost more and wasn't nearly as easy to get things sealed.
bradhill
Deckhand

Post by bradhill »

I just wanted to add something that I learned when I replaced the rotary helm on my 1996 :macx: a couple of years ago with a Uflex no feedback helm.

The removal of the steering wheel was very hard. The years had frozen the spindle to the center of the wheel. I pushed. I pulled. I tapped. I used lubricant. Eventually, I placed too much pressure on the system and cracked and broke the fiberglass where the helm assembly is bolted to the pedestal. That really big nut on the spindle does a great job of compressing the wheel to the spindle.

I ended up buying a three-armed puller from Harbor Freight for $10 or so and with a little grinding to the arms was able to insert it where I could pop the wheel off of the helm spindle.

Thank goodness the new bezel covered my fiberglass and gelcoat repairs.
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

I will ditto what Brad said about removing the wheel. It was very tough. And I stripped the gears on a two-arm wheel puller. It eventually just took two guys to hit and pull, hit and pull, I was afraid we would break something but got lucky.

Cheers,
Jim
Nautek
First Officer

Post by Nautek »

I suppose I should tell you how I lubricated my steering cable.

Get a 3 to 4 ft length of 1 1/4 pvc pipe with a cap on one end or similar
Fill with oil to within 4 inches of top
Remove steering cable from boat but leave connected to steering wheel if possible
Place end of cable in pipe all the way to the bottom and work wheel from lock to lock and providing there is no internal damage to cable feel it loosen up.
If you leave it soaking overnight remove cable from boat and hang it from the end that was in the oil
You will lubricate the cable all the way through
Drain excess oil and reinstall in boat
A couble of quarts of oil is a lot cheaper than a new cable
You should only have to do this every 18 months to 2 years

Allan
R Rae
First Officer

Removing Steering Wheel

Post by R Rae »

Not everyone owns a Heat Gun (Moms hairdrier won't cut it). I purchased one a few years ago just to help remove the steering wheel. Lowes hardware @ $ 22.

At a 600 Deg. F setting the aluminum wheel hub expanded quicker than the steel shaft, and "the rest is history". After a few minutes heat, but still using the nut on the end of the shaft precaution, plus 1 lb hammer with a few taps, off she came.............. :D :D