Food / Drink Poll

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Food / Drink Poll

Post by vizwhiz »

I wanna know how you baked the bread!! :)
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

vizwhiz wrote:I wanna know how you baked the bread!! :)
Don't know how he did this batch, but it's pretty easy to either do it in a Dutch oven on a conventional burner, or to do it in a Magma kettle.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Yup...that was the other thread with the Coleman folding camp oven... I'm just curious if he did it differently than one of our normal ideas. I mean, we're talking linen tablecloth and glass dishes here! :wink:
RJG 26S
Deckhand

Post by RJG 26S »

Laika 26X wrote:I hope this fills the original post regarding what we eat aboard that we normally don't eat at home!
Ed,

Your response as well as many of the others provide great ideas to expand my culinary horizon this year once things warm up enough to get back out on the water.

Thanks,

Bob

BTW, where did you serve? I did 6 patrols combined between the USS Ohio and USS Henry M Jackson from 1992 to 1998
Laika 26X
Engineer
Location: Homeport: Mt Sinai, NY - Homewaters: Long Island Sound, Northeast USA

Post by Laika 26X »

BTW, where did you serve? I did 6 patrols combined between the USS Ohio and USS Henry M Jackson from 1992 to 1998
'79-'82 I did 6 myself out of Holy Loch, (COMSUBGRU2) USS ULYSSES S. GRANT 631 Gold Crew, made QM2(SS). 3 time Blue Nose! First being the hardest!! People think what happened on the ENTERPRISE was bad?? Good thing that was never revealed to the Public!!! Much less what goes on during halfway nite!!
Funny thing is that I love to say I could navigate an 8000 ton Sub before I had a drivers license!!
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

Peanut butter cookies. Trailmix which we lovingly refer to as fortified rats...t. While at anchor, Baileys Irish Cream. Yum Yum 8) Fair Winds and full Sails...Old Salt
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

RJG 26S wrote:I thought it would be fun to start a poll to see what special or unique food or drink items are brought along on cruises (short or long) that you typically don't consume otherwise.

:)

Bob
SPAM - brought onboard during a Penobscot cruise to pan-fry with potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, onion - now a regular cruise item & somewhat regular weekend breakfast treat at home. Hey, I'm eating it now! :)
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

kmclemore wrote:We like to bring those small bottles of wine on board - they're just enough for the two of us for a dinner and they're really easy to store and chill.
And just how many of those small bottles of wine did you have for dinner?

72!! :o
Gypsy
First Officer

Post by Gypsy »

Joanne and I both talk about how spam was a usual dinner food in both our homes when we were growing up .
We bought some to have onboard , and it sure doesn't taste as good as we remember it !
But we need to get use to it as it will need to be a staple when we move aboard fulltime.
LOUIS B HOLUB
Admiral

Post by LOUIS B HOLUB »

I hope you guys try what we've discovered:

Campbell's "SELECT HARVEST" light soup. It comes in various mixes in easy-open cans. Low salt, low fat, and bunches of tasty ingredients. Easily carried and stored on board. Some of our favorites so far:
Savory Chicken with Vegetables,
Vegetable Medely,
Savory Chicken and Brown Rice,
Southwestern -Style Vegetables,

These soups are ideal for adding additional "stuff" toward your tastes, such as pepper, garlic, onions, meats, or even additional vegetables. These are a nice "meal" and simple to use and prepare.

Our drinks are usually some forms of fruit juice.

...dining on the boat is always a treat :P , no matter the menu.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

K9Kampers wrote:
kmclemore wrote:We like to bring those small bottles of wine on board - they're just enough for the two of us for a dinner and they're really easy to store and chill.
And just how many of those small bottles of wine did you have for dinner?

72!! :o
Not quite... but we do enjoy it in moderation. Here's a photo from a few years ago of us having dinner on the boat... note that the Admiral is enjoying the wine, while I am having iced tea....

fishheadbarandgrill
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by fishheadbarandgrill »

Newcastle Brown Ale (in the can).
trail mix
Rum and coke
Vinegar and salt potato chips
hoaglandr
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by hoaglandr »

How about Dinty Moore's Beef Stew? Haven't tried it on the boat yet, but it's one of our camping favorites. Heat it up and serve. Maybe I could bake some biscuits on the Magma Grill to go with it.

Russell
c130king
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by c130king »

I have done the Dinty Moore Stew and the Campbell's Firehouse Chili. Both come in easy open cans so they store well.

I also do a "boil-in-the-bag" bag of rice to go with them...also stores well, easy to cook, and not much mess.

I did the stew and the chili by dumping it in a 1-gallon ziplock bag and then dropped the bag in a pot of boiling water with the rice in it's own bag. Must admit I used regular ziplocks and had some leakage issues. Next time I may try "heavy duty" bags to see if they hold up to the boiling water better. I will also try some pre-cooked pasta in a ziplock bag.

Cheers,
Jim
Sailing on König
Sailing on König YouTube Channel
shanker
Chief Steward

Post by shanker »

This is a great thread. I keep looking outside and we are in the middle of a blizzard. I see my :macx: and I feel like a caged lion!! That maiden voyage seems like it will never come. I've been doing a lot of reading on the various logs/blogs on cruising and this food topic is one that has come up a few times. I'm not a coffee drinker as I start my day off with a mug of tea. I know, I known buy I love it. One of the best mods that I have done to my home is an instant hot water dispenser in the kitchen. I can now have a piping hot tea at any time of the day or night, instantly. It also gets used quite a bit for hot chocolate and at lunch times the kids love it for instant soups. It has been money well spent. I've been contemplating installing one of these into the :macx: . Is this something that would quickly clean out the battery power or is this something that may be practical for a boat?

Shanker