26X centerboard is stuck - won't drop down!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Gary N
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X centerboard is stuck - won't drop down!

Post by Gary N » Wed May 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Our 26X is moored all year in a fresh water bay. Today, I released the centerboard rope and it didn't drop down. Normally, it would drop down and you would hear the clunk as it reached the end of it's swing.

I guess that there has been some build up of slime or something that is holding it in place.

If I pull up on the centerboard rope at the mast, the centerboard moves up very very slightly but after repeated pulls it didn't budge.

I have been racking my brains trying to think of a way to get the centerboard down.

Short of lifting the boat out of the water and pulling the centerboard out, the only thing I can think of doing is to use something long, thin, flexible and strong to push the centerboard down through the rope hole. I.e. something like a wooden dowel, say 1/4" diameter and 6' long to push down the hole.

Anyone found an ideal tool to do this or is there another way to do this?

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Re: 26X centerboard is stuck - won't drop down!

Post by Wind Chime » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

We have a lot of eel grass up here, and our board gets stuck sometimes as well.
What's worked for me is to take the boat out on the water, release the line, and drive over boat wave wakes. This should shake the board loose.
If not, take the cooler out and bang on the centerboard housing a bit.
If it is still stuck, then yes push a rod down the compression post.

Gary N
Engineer

Post by Gary N » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Great ideas. Banging on the side of the casing is a very good idea.

Thanks

Knot Tied Down
Chief Steward

Post by Knot Tied Down » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm

I beached mine one time and got a rock stuck between the centerboard and housing.... I considered jumping in the water and pulling it down... but it was march and very cold, so I just pulled the boat out and removed the object. That is probably your best bet, that way you can clean what ever is building up in there. Just my 2 cents!

Deeseas
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by Deeseas » Wed May 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Man up, wait for a warm day, put the snorkel and mask on and check it out underwater!
Doug

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed May 02, 2012 6:45 pm

This happened to us one time, while we were on a remote lake in British Columbia. I tied the boat up over a sandy bottom near shore, put my wetsuit, weightbelt, and mask on, and went under the boat. My centerboard has a hole through it near the bottom end. I was able to poke a small diameter metal rod into the hole, and using a chunk of moose antler I found on the beach as a fulcrum, I pried the board free. Weight belt is critical in being able to hold position under the boat while holding breath. Without the weight, you tend to float and slide around along the bottom of the boat. After freeing it up, I was careful on the rest of the trip to not pull the board up too hard. I later discovered that the board was sticking due to a piece of driftwood which had gotten jammed up in the centerboard well. It was very difficult to remove.

Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie » Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I beach on mud, sand, and gravel all the time. Sometimes the centerboard gets stuck and won't come down. So far, going out and making repeated "hole shots" has worked to free things up. When the stern digs down and the bow comes up a lot of water is flushing into and through the centerboard trunk. I don't stay in the water so this may not work on grass. YMMV.

2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC » Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 am

Wind Chime wrote: What's worked for me is to take the boat out on the water, release the line, and drive over boat wave wakes. This should shake the board loose.
If not, take the cooler out and bang on the centerboard housing a bit.
If it is still stuck, then yes push a rod down the compression post.
If all this is not possible or does not lead to a positive result, how about thrilling a small hole on top of the centerboard housing and push the rudder down there?
Close this hole afterwards in that way that You can get access to the rudder again, You might need it :wink: :)

rainer

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 am

and using a chunk of moose antler
:D :D :D :D

What kind of moose? Document please...

This is an ISO sailing forum

Gary N
Engineer

Post by Gary N » Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 am

2BonC wrote:If all this is not possible or does not lead to a positive result, how about thrilling a small hole on top of the centerboard housing and push the rudder down there?
Close this hole afterwards in that way that You can get access to the rudder again, You might need it :wink: :)

rainer
May need to do this.

This is potentially a show stopping event that could ruin a trip.

Can the steel pole inside the boat be removed to access the hole? I had a look and there are 2 substantial nuts on top of the casing, that look like they might be holding the centerboard bracket to the boat.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 am

I posted a picture of the post when I had the corrosion issue on my :macx:

I think the post was held in with bolts threaded into the fiberglass IIRC...if they are studs and nuts, its more work of course.

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 am

It is held by studs on my boat at least..see here in this thread

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... ach#p96384

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

posting an important note I just remembered for those who drop CB on an :macx:

Our centerboard hanger bracket was not symmetrical fore and aft. In other words, the threaded rod was at a slight, almost imperceptible angle to the bracket, rather than perfectly in line with it.

I tried refitting it back up in the trunk without the board to see if the direction mattered. It did. One way, the threaded rod would go up smoothly, the other way it would bind.

--
Moe

Gary N
Engineer

Post by Gary N » Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 am

Yesterday I tried to push the centerboard down with a long piece ow 1/4" wooden dowel. It just snapped and I was lucky it didn't get stuck. Today I tried again with a thicker piece of wood but without success. I tried banging on the side of the casing but without any luck.

My next plan was to pull out of the marina and take it for a rudders up blast. As I was thinking about this, a few wavelets from distant passing boats made the boat jump about a bit, and to my surprise the centerboard just feel down into position.

So luckily this problem is now over but I will be a bit more cautious about pulling the centerboard up too hard or even pulling it completely all the way up.

Thanks all.

2BonC
First Officer

Post by 2BonC » Fri May 04, 2012 11:05 am

--keep this location in mind, in case You have the same problem again... :D
rainer