MAGMA Grill on Fire

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

2BonC
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

MAGMA Grill on Fire

Post by 2BonC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 am

I like my Magma-Grill very much, it´s convenient to use, out of the way and very effective however I have the following problem:
It seems to me that I´m not able to regulate the burner down sufficiently.
It´s not allways possible to avoid any fat from dropping down from the grill onto the cover of the burner. When lifting the cover to check the grilling goods quite big flames come up.
Do You experience the same? Any idea how to handle this problem?
What I do, I try to extinguish the flames by blowing into them and very quickly clothing the grill again.
Rainer

Sea Wind
First Officer

Re: MAGMA Grill on Fire

Post by Sea Wind » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 am

I have had no problem with the Magma but had experienced that with small charcoal grills. I have the party size and try to always put meat on the sides not right in the middle. Also, by keeping the cover on you are reducing the amount of oxygen that goes in, which should control the flames. Even in the slowest setting the grill feels like a strong burner. Another solution is to put aluminum paper over the grill and opening some holes on the sides for the fat, the drawback is that your meat will feel more broiled than grilled.

MAC-A-TAC
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by MAC-A-TAC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:23 am

It might be a good idea to have a small spray bottle filled with water near by to combat those unavoidable flare ups. That was the suggestion written in the insturctions that came with my marine grill. I know that we''re not supposed to put water on a grease fire in general, but this method seems to work for our grills.

MAC Out.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 am

The burner cover is designed to catch drippings. Below the burner is a catch basin that can fill with grease. Try taking the grill off and cleaning it with some degreaser and hosing it out.

As mentioned above, a spray water bottle is standard grilling accessory to tap down flames either on board or at home.
http://bbq.about.com/od/grillinghelp/a/aa062406a.htm

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 am

My understanding of not putting a grease fire out with water is that a hard spray of water will spread the liquid grease or oil and make it worse. Spraying from a water bottle onto a minor flare-up shouldn't have such an effect unless it's pooled grease and the spray is a hard stream, which isn't consistent with my experience with grills.

trdprotruck
Engineer

Post by trdprotruck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 am

I have experienced the same. It usually happens when I max out the grill with fatty meat or oily marinades. The amount of grease overwhelms the radiant plate and then catches on fire before going to the drip tray. Try cooking less meat at the same time so you reduce the amount of grease that can catch fire. Also try moving the meat around to different areas of the grill to see where it best avoids flareups. The water bottle helps too.

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:07 am

Hello,
I have a magma and one thing I always do is clean it thoroughly before each season. I had the same problem with flare ups and nuking chicken because the burner won't turn down enough. You will find a small allen screw in the center of the knob under the decal that can be adjusted. Turning it down will allow perfect teriyaki chicken, however, it also makes it easier for the wind to blow it out. I plan to make a small knob w/ allen wrench that I can use to adjust it while cooking. Grilled streak requires a higher flame, chicken much less etc. I always have the stainless radiant hood over the burner (under grill) that helps run the grease off. If it is clean so ash and grease do not accumulate, flare ups are not such a problem.

Gater Dunn
First Officer
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada N48º25.506 W123º18.178 OakBay Marina

Post by Gater Dunn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 am

The guy next door sprays what ever beer he has in his hand to stop flare ups. 8)

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Gater Dunn wrote:The guy next door sprays what ever beer he has in his hand to stop flare ups. 8)
I do the same except I swish the beer in my mouth first before spraying the meat & flames with beer that way I at least get too taste the beer first & again later when I eat the meat , funny thing too is I usualy get to eat all the meat too myself guess nobody likes my brand of beer !! :D :D :D :P

J 8)

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Highlander wrote:
Gater Dunn wrote:The guy next door sprays what ever beer he has in his hand to stop flare ups. 8)
I do the same except I swish the beer in my mouth first before spraying the meat & flames with beer that way I at least get too taste the beer first & again later when I eat the meat , funny thing too is I usualy get to eat all the meat too myself guess nobody likes my brand of beer !! :D :D :D :P

J 8)
LOL :D Good thing you didn't try that with Glenfiddich! :o

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Crikey wrote:
Highlander wrote:

J 8)
LOL :D Good thing you didn't try that with Glenfiddich! :o
Nah I use cooking wine for that too seer the meat :) :P

J 8)

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Highlander! ---

At first I thought you were just fooling around. But now I realize you're being "SEERious"! :cry:

B - :wink: :wink: :wink: :o

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

#1. Rule at any Culinary Art's School.. Never cook with wine you would not drink by the glass..

#2. Check your Regulator mine turns down to a flicker..