Sailing alone (some questions, and some warning)

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

robbarnes1965
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Re: Sailing alone (some questions, and some warning)

Post by robbarnes1965 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 am

Ooooh, the Speedo! LOL

Here's the link: http://www.thesailingchannel.tv/pardey/

Various prices depending on online viewing, download or actual dvd.

I had no idea before watching the video that they don't even have an engine on their boat! Just sculling. They have circumnavigated the globe - several times - without an engine! Just for fun Sheri and I tried sculling the Mac with an extended kayak paddle I have and I can report that I am glad I have the 50hp...

Rob

DrV
Chief Steward

Post by DrV » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes, where is the "Like!" button? :)
I have started this thread, and I haven't had time to check it often. Now I got some time to do sailing, I logged in to check it... and WOW, so much information!
THANK YOU GUYS! I can't express how grateful I am, now I know what topping lift can do for me, I know a way better than trucker's hitch described in Mac's manual... I will try to heave to, and I will make sure the engine is disconnected when sailing (by the way, is there a way to stop it from hitting the sides of my boat when I am tacking, when it is is trimmed up?)

Anyway, hope to be in the sea tomorrow, and will check these advices out .

I am so glad I have found this Forum! :D

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes there are several quick disconnects for the engine that will lock in centred...so no flopping and very quick.

2BonC
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by 2BonC » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:58 am

DrV wrote:Hi!

2. When sailing, wind is coming at right angle, and both Mainsail and Genoa are hoisted, I have trouble to keep the boat at the course. 90% of the time, I have to apply strong pressure to the steering wheel! (When wind is from starboard, I have to push the wheel anti-clockwise, really hard! And as soon as I decrease my pressure - boat goes right... I wouldn't consider to offer my Admiral to be at the wheel, as her both hands (and all her weight?) wouldn't be enough for holding the Mac on course.
- Is the need to apply such force to the wheel the clear indication that I am doing something wrong? (During my sailing training, I was on 43' boat, and I have never experienced anything like this. Of course, the wheel there was 3 times bigger, and experienced skipper to ask advice, but...)
Hi,
as far as I noticed nobody has answered this part of the questions so far, or did I miss it :o ?
So let me try that. As far as I know in stable winds You should have only little forces on the steering wheel, however You are right, Your steering wheel seems to be a little bit small for a sailing boat.
In general the rudders should stay in neutral, almost without applying forces to the wheel. Otherwise You will slow down the boat. You must take out the steering wheel forces by adjusting the sails. This can be done by changing size, chape of sails or by change of the angle of the boom and/or lower foot of frontsail.
The basic idea and easiest way to correct for steering forces is:
- if the boat is steering into the wind: more open the boom of the mainsail
- if the boat tends to steer away from the wind: more close the boom of the mainsail
Above that it´s a play between the situation of both sails.
But keep in mind if You are sailing single handed it´s a good idea to have the boat slightly steering into the wind. In this case You have the chance to meet Your boat again in caser that You fall off it 8)
I noticed that trimming the boat to neutral often interferes with the optimum position of the trimlines.
Happy sailing
rainer

robbarnes1965
Captain
Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Post by robbarnes1965 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am

Rainer is correct. It's also a fun exercise to do while sailing on a light day to tie off the steering wheel so that the rudders are straight and try to turn by adjusting sail trim with the sheets and traveler.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am

I go single-handing occasionally. My main halyard is run aft to the cockpit (actually, ALL my lines are).

I recently installed a downhaul. Just a thin line from the sail head down to a block at the base of the mast then back to the cockpit. I still have to head into the wind to drop it though.

I've also installed a bungie system on the underside of my boom to hold the sail in place.
(Actually, as the behest of the admiral, I ALSO installed a lazy jack kit. I think it's overkill but, happy mate, happy ... wait... :o .)

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:39 pm

by DaveC426913 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am
I recently installed a downhaul. Just a thin line from the sail head down to a block at the base of the mast then back to the cockpit. I still have to head into the wind to drop it though.
DaveC
A word of caution if I may:
I would recommend attaching your downhaul to the “upper most sail slug”, instead of your “sail head” (plate).

The sail “head-plate” is designed to be pulled upward only. Pulling downward may damage the plate, and/or reduce the life of the sails head-plate and material.
(I run all lines aft as well, including downhauls and toppings for main and spinnakers)

lmezzano

Post by lmezzano » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am

Hi,
I bought my :macx: 3 years ago; essentially because it was just the right boat (for me) to sail single handed. I sail in the Turkish Aegean sea and by times the weather is quite strong.
I read all the posts answering your queries and found that almost every thing has been said to help you improving and enjoying your single handed sailing, but maybe the stiffness of your steering is due to a mechanical problem and less to a navigation conditions. Since I bought my boat the steering was a little difficult and in particular at the end of turning the wheel. Past April the weather conditions were very rough and the steering system got blocked, and with 8 feet waves it was not so easy to move on the boat to solve the problem. After that experience I found that the steering cable was damaged and, in fact, was the reason of the steering wheel being difficult to handle. Following instructions found in this forum, I investigate and got a replacement pack. The original installed on my :macx: was the Detmar 4-200 and after a long research I obtained the Teleflex Rack and pinion system SS14110. After installing it and even with my 50HP connected I can steer with one finger. The original cable was 9 feet long (probably yours is the same) and the radios of bending are too tight creating a lot of friction when steering. I install a 10 feet cable giving more smooth bending from the hull to the engine connection. Also I change the steering wheel for 20 inches (you can go until 24" and still have enough room).
As all recommendations given by others to your queries, I change the Jib for a 150% Genoa in the roller furling used by the Jib, installed plastic sail slides (it takes one hour to install them), all my lines are aft to the cockpit, and the mast grove is always clean and lubed, also I installed a lazy-bag (better than the lazy-jack as the bag protects your sail against UV), you will have a lot of fun as I do.
Have fun.

lmezzano

Post by lmezzano » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 am

I also had the bad experience of plunging inside the cabin when sliding the hatch, but any part of my boat has melted and we have here more than 100F. in summer time 8) maybe you need to clean, time by time, the hatch guides.