Mac on steroids....IMEXUS

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

bartmac
Captain

Mac on steroids....IMEXUS

Post by bartmac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Saw a IMEXUS 28 in the flesh...actually climbed aboard.........wow just like a Mac only bigger and has some of the features we have added to our Mac.... BUT not the 140hp volvo turbo deisel YES 140HP DUO PROP.....THE GPS HAS RECORDED 29.8 KNOTS AS A MAX....UNREAL but at a price ...complete with tri-axle trailer exceeding wait for it $140,000 Australian dollars
Last edited by bartmac on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Mac on steriods....IMEXUS

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm

How much does it weigh on the trailer?...

140K! The Mac is just fine thanks - Reckon I'd only spend that kind of money on a keelboat myself.

bartmac
Captain

Re: Mac on steriods....IMEXUS

Post by bartmac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Trailer is rated at 2700kgs but I imagine loaded will go 3000 plus

finding41
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Mac on steroids....IMEXUS

Post by finding41 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:29 pm

It has just about the same layout as the 26X. I kind of expected the 26M layout.
Is it just me or does it not get up on plane? From all the pictures and video I never saw it "quite" get on plane. Maybe some trim tabs are in order.
Did you see what they tow it with? Must have trailer breaks on each axle.

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Same as a Mac26X but so much bigger inside....our mac feels full when there's more than 2 people inside but this Imexus 28 is just so much bigger....want to be at the price.Yes it sits on dual axle/dual braked Knott trailer although the one I saw has had a new trailer custom made ....tri axle!!!! to handle the approaching 500 kg weight of the volvo motor and leg.Tow vehicle is a twin cab Landrover turbo diesel c/w oversize 65mm??? towball.One thing though you should see the engine bay completely filled with the motor....insane...the hatch is probably more than a metre square and when you pop it ...wow all motor

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 pm

FYI -In Canada (and USA?) these are marketed under the "Odin" brand name. AFAIK, they are the same boats as the Imexus.

-B. :wink:

Ormonddude
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Ormonddude » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 am

A family of four could get 2 Macs and let their Kids have their Own at that price! and still save some cash! Plus while its very nice it certainly looks like they ripped off a lot of the Mac Ideas and that just sort of :evil: pi$$ me off. So I think I will just be Happy with my :macx:

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 am

Ormonddude wrote:A family of four could get 2 Macs and let their Kids have their Own at that price! and still save some cash! Plus while its very nice it certainly looks like they ripped off a lot of the Mac Ideas and that just sort of :evil: pi$$ me off. So I think I will just be Happy with my :macx:
It looks like this is not really a competitor to the Mac - no more than a Lincoln Towncar is to a Ford Fiesta. The pictures look like a well equipped and appointed craft - not the bare shells we buy and build out.

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 am

It gives some good ideas for shelves and the port windows as may Mac owners have done. But for me the best feature of this boat compare with the :macx: is having the steering tubes behind the transom.

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Certainly a "Rolls Royce" trailer boat ,apparently Bavaria Yacht now has something to do with them and the name change to IMEXUS 28....mind you the pricing may not be quite the same in Europe and US....we in Australia pay thru the nose for alot of this stuff....ie a New Mac $70000 plus last time I looked

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

whats it draw? With all that weight, might not be such a casual beach the boat and walk the dogs type of thing.
??
for the price I could build a serious one-off hull that would kick major butt under sail, something that was able to cross oceans and still park on any beach.
Ix

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 pm

on the inboard outboard version you would never be able to get the outdrive anywhere near being out of the water ? or do they have a trick to get it out more ,and with the i/o version you would lose 3 or 4 feet of the aft cabin area .one thing i like about the mac is when the motor gets worn out you can unbolt it and bolt a new one on .some times less is more .given the choice i would still buy the mac .

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Its draw isn't that much more than a Mac but ofcourse the outboard leg whilst able to be retracted is still a formidable protrusion...has similar dual rudders and swing keel.The guy who owns it readily admits he could have bought a keel boat BUT given the nature of the Australian coast and the numerous very dangerous bar crossings he decided having a boat sitting at home when not in use,under cover and able to be driven anywhere and launched outweighted all other reasoning.Should explain....bar crossing....where the sea meets the river ie outlet...usually silted/sanded up and depending on tide & weather etc can be very bad....breaking waves etc many an Australian boater has been drowned.Because rivers here arnt used commercially save for fishing boats (not many now...low fish stocks,bad weather stops then from going outside) no dredging is done for many years and sand chokes the bar.All this was caused by us humans...cutting too many trees down.....most Australian rivers have been choked...mind you back in the early settlement days they formed the superhighways....no roads so water was the go....only took 100-150 years probably shorter.We live 70-80ks from the coast by river and pictures of just over a 100 years ago shows quite big ships docking...now small boats only....not like the Mississippi river....and other large enclosed waters suitable for Macs

Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 pm

There was a Mackman 28 which was Aust made and it was a direct copy of the :macx: , think the moulds are still available but it sold for $100,000 with a 100hp motor standard or a fixed keel for sailing.
Sure there are some good(bad) bars but as to whether they are all caused by cutting down trees would have to question that, some are worse now or silted up more for many reasons where there is no human interference and they will clear again someday too without help.
One that is silted up is the Murray/Darling mouth but that also is not due to just lack of fresh water or cutting down trees in fact the reverse is true but certainly human interference.
Another is the Ord River trees don't play a part there but the dam does although the mouth is silted it doesn't run to the open sea anyway and with 7-8m tides think it was probably always silted up due to the wide area.

MacTommy
Chief Steward

Post by MacTommy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 am

In Europe, these boats are being sold under the brand Odin.

Appears to be built in Poland. Some other boats from Eastern Europe does not meet the west european quality expectations, so I guess that is why the Odin does not reach the same market share that MacGregor has, even here in Europe.