26X centerboard repair

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Albertagirl
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X centerboard repair

Post by Albertagirl »

Our centerboard has split open at the seam along the bottom. It is a 1998 26X. We think water must have frozen inside, and the bottom crack is open about 3/4 inch where it was bonded together. Has anyone repaired this problem?
DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: 26X centerboard repair

Post by DaveB »

My centerboard 1997x had cracks on the head and lower end. I fiber glassed it and gelcoat . I have lot of experience in repairing fiberglass.
If you don't I would get a replacement tru BYW.
These centerboards and rudders thru these early years are known for weak fiberglass connections and will crack at seam and in cold freeze will split the seam if water is inside, even in warm waters it still splits.
Dave
Albertagirl wrote:Our centerboard has split open at the seam along the bottom. It is a 1998 26X. We think water must have frozen inside, and the bottom crack is open about 3/4 inch where it was bonded together. Has anyone repaired this problem?
Billy
First Officer

Re: 26X centerboard repair

Post by Billy »

If you think you might need to replace the cb, you can order it from Ruddercraft. Joel has the original Mac molds for the centerboard and rudders. I got an extra set for my X a while back, just in case.

I then repaired my damaged cb and reinstalled it. It's just fiberglass. Go for it. If you have never worked with fiberglass, it's a good place to start. Besides no one will be able to see it. You can only make it stronger. Best of luck!