Almost shipwrecked

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Almost shipwrecked

Post by Russ »

I just ordered this guy. Thanks BOAT for inspiring me. I've been meaning to put one in for a while.

It doesn't come with hose fittings so I need to check what my fuel line diameter is. I assume I can just install this inline with my current fuel line.
Claims to be 60GPH. That is waaaaaaaaaaay more than my little outboard drinks.

After reading some of the Amazon reviews of leaks and plastic parts breaking and fuel leaking all over, I'm not cheaping out on a gasoline filter.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Dumb questions…. Maybe someone can enlighten me….???

Q 1: Just what actually happens when a gasoline injected 4 stroke engine is fed diesel fuel? 🤔

Q 2: What can be done to fix a gasoline injected 4 stroke engine that has been fed diesel fuel? 🤔🤔

Seems like one of those things that could happen and it would be beneficial to have an idea of what happens and possible was to fix it.
Especially if in the boondocks or doldrums…….🙄
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 amDumb questions…. Maybe someone can enlighten me….???

Q 1: Just what actually happens when a gasoline injected 4 stroke engine is fed diesel fuel? 🤔

Q 2: What can be done to fix a gasoline injected 4 stroke engine that has been fed diesel fuel? 🤔🤔
The big problem with gasoline in a diesel engine is lack of lubricity in the high pressure pump and injectors. So I would think there wouldn't really be a problem with damage to components in the same sense with diesel in a gasoline engine. I would think all you'd have to do is drain and maybe flush the lines, pumps (lift and injection) and maybe the injectors, but I suspect fuel in the injectors would simply oil up the cylinders and piston crowns and make it smoke for a while.

But I've never seen that question asked before, as that's not usually the problem - it's gas in the diesel tank that's talked about so much. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I was just writing this when I got an email that Tom made comment:
Well, two questions presented and both need experts to reply so I guess when Tom gets around to reading this we might know how to fix an outboard that got the wrong fuel. I would expect that is a lot worse than water. From what the . . . .
So let me finish what I was going to say.

From what the guys at the motor shop told me the water can make parts rust and corrode if not flushed out quickly. He said running the boat at WOT for a little bit usually burns out all the water so switching tanks the moment it happens is important. I think wrong fuel might work the same way as long as you do everything the instant the issue happens.

After experiencing the issue in live action in the ocean I realized how lucky I was that only one tank was contaminated. Imagine the panic that can set in if you switch tanks and are still getting water in the motor - which the motor guys at the shop told me is VERY COMMON!! Because the fuel dock is pumping the same contamination into both tanks! I just happened to top off one tank at Dana Point and I think that's where I got water but who knows?

The important thing is to mount the filter over the well so you can drain off water and also make sure it's not mounted in a way that the motor will touch it when tilted to either side. The hose should have a bulb on both sides so you can prime the motor and also so you can pump out ALL the water trapped in the tank.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

BOAT,

Do you still use this, or at least still recommend it?
Ray ~~_/)~~
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:41 pm BOAT,

Do you still use this, or at least still recommend it?
Hi Ray,

I never used the funnel - that was Sumner. He had a funnel that could filter 5 gallons per minute. The thing about water is that it can also mix in the gas like bubbles. That's why sometimes the only way to separate the gas on a pitching boat is to run it through a gravity bowl with a filter but even that will not stop the water from getting to the motor if there is a LOT of water in the tank. At least with a water bowl you can see the problem.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

One of these should do the water and particulate filtration/separation for most outboards.

Larger size for those with greater needs….. 🙄

:D :D :D
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 am Dumb questions…. Maybe someone can enlighten me….???

Seems like one of those things that could happen and it would be beneficial to have an idea of what happens and possible was to fix it.
Especially if in the boondocks or doldrums…….🙄
I can tell you what happens when a carburated gasoline engine is fed diesel. It smokes a lot and stops running. I drained the tank, carb, and fuel lines, changed the plugs, oil, and fuel filters. It was still running years later when I sold it.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:51 pm Image

One of these should do the water and particulate filtration/separation for most outboards.

Larger size for those with greater needs….. 🙄

:D :D :D
Huh. I always wondered what that meant, My wife tells me that all the time.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Be Free

Thanks!
Hasn’t happened to us (as yet 🙄 knock on driftwood) but we have seen enough confusion at fuel docks that when one adds inexperience, a busy dock, possibly language (when traveling to foreign ports) and that marine fuel tank openings don’t have the nozzle size restrictions that auto and trucks have…..

[/quote] I can tell you what happens when a carburated gasoline engine is fed diesel. It smokes a lot and stops running. I drained the tank, carb, and fuel lines, changed the plugs, oil, and fuel filters. It was still running years later when I sold it.
[/quote]

It’s good to know that there is something that one can do yourself if faced with that kind of fuel contamination issue situation.

(Hate to think what a Diesel engine owner would incur if gasoline was fed it😳😱😢🥺

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

That fuel mix up was in a van. E250 old enough to still be designed for leaded gasoline. The filler tube was not restricted so the diesel nozzle fit it just fine. It made it back to the interstate and about halfway up the on-ramp before it stalled. Driver was tired and did not notice that the pump had a choice for diesel. :? I did not ask but I suspect it was a case of picking the cheapest fuel (diesel cost less than regular unleaded back then).
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me