Where to store cabin door?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Where to store cabin door?

Post by NiceAft » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 am

cmagnus4 wrote:I just went down to my :macm: and checked and it stores perfectly under the seat. It is held in place by the fittings from the mast support. Must try that next time I'm out. I cannot see any risk for it falling overboard, but I will secure it with a piece of string 8)
Claes
Just remember to not raise the motor with the hatch in that location. If you have a fifty HP or greater, you will hear some sickly crunching sounds, trust me :) . I went back to keeping the hatch behind the dinette seat, leaning vertically against the starboard cabin wall. Whenever I stopped sailing, and wanted to motor, I then had to retrieve the hatch from its storage area so as to place it under the captains seat. Too much work. I just leave where I explained.

Ray

cmagnus4
Deckhand
Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Post by cmagnus4 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am

Just remember to not raise the motor with the hatch in that location. If you have a fifty HP or greater, you will hear some sickly crunching sounds, trust me :) . I went back to keeping the hatch behind the dinette seat, leaning vertically against the starboard cabin wall. Whenever I stopped sailing, and wanted to motor, I then had to retrieve the hatch from its storage area so as to place it under the captains seat. Too much work. I just leave where I explained.

Ray
Good point! :!:
My motor is a 15 HP Suzuki and no power tilt, so I didn't think of that risk. Normally I store the hatch in the double bed. I might try the under-seat-storage if I should use the motor for several hours.

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:48 pm

NiceAft wrote: Just remember to not raise the motor with the hatch in that location. If you have a fifty HP or greater, you will hear some sickly crunching sounds, trust me :) .
Yes. First thing I noticed.
I'll have to do some fancy mods to prevent "O/B incursion" on the hatch storage as well as figuring out how to hang it.
(My lower panel is significantly less wide than than my upper panel - about 6".)

133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:48 am

I store it verticaly side up against the head rear angled bulkhead/gap between the cushion. small bungee loop secures to the top step hinge for rough weather. I can fit or remove it by reaching down from the compionway. (26x)

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:59 pm

133bhp wrote:I store it verticaly side up against the head rear angled bulkhead/gap between the cushion. small bungee loop secures to the top step hinge for rough weather. I can fit or remove it by reaching down from the compionway. (26x)
I've gotten tired of lashing things down individually.

I am considering do it in one swell foop and attaching crash webbing on both sides, to catch everything that keeps falling out.

Or. Maybe I should just reef sooner...

arvid
Deckhand

Post by arvid » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm

i have built a very practical folding door . the opening is so wide that i have a fixed sideplate of plywood on sb side and two verticalhinged doors that folds over the fixed plate . its very easy to open and takes no extra Space . for easy entrance from rear i have a fixed seat With rear wallplate on sb side and a door on port side . its very much more practical than the stupid liftingseat ......

Brian-Up-North
Deckhand

Post by Brian-Up-North » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

arvid do you have picture?

HuzurPapa

Post by HuzurPapa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 pm

I find that it slides snuggly between the back of the sliding galley and the bulkhead on my 2007 M. I taped the top so there would be no scuffing. The bottom sits on the small ridge of the bulkhead and the top is firm against the molding below the aft port window. It seems very secure here and has never moved an inch. The outside surface of the companion way door is facing inward.

March
Captain

Post by March » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:27 pm

My 26X came with a plexiglass door that I thoroughly enjoyed: it allowed light in, made the interior seem less cramped. I used to store it on top of the bunkbeds in the back, under the cockpit... until one day when I was looking for something in that black hole and kneeled on it by mistake. Of course, it cracked half way. Last year I replaced it with a new one--still plastic, but the dark kind of type, so it still allows light in, yet one can barely discern the mess inside from the cockpit. I still store it on top of my bunkbed, courting another disaster, even though I'm trying to be more careful

jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Like HuzurPapa, I slide mine between the sliding galley and the wall, it's never moved regardless of heel angle.